River Country gone for good?

I think River Country should remain closed

In 1985, when I was 9 yrs old, I had my first trip to Disney World. This was in August of 1985. I remember Epcot and MK very clearly, I can remember The Living Seas being under construction in Epcot. I vaguely rember swimming at a place with water slides, but I couldn't tell you where we were, as all pictures burned in a house fire. In October of 1985 I became very ill, I could not hold down food and had a high fever. I also got horrible headaches. I evetually landed in the hospital after two weeks of being sick at home due to dehydration. Many tests were done, I had a CAT scan. Finally they did a spinal tap on me, which I also clearly remember :( The spinal tap confirmed that I had encephalitis, an infection of my brain stem. It took a week for me to recover once the Dr's here in Arkansas knew what was wrong with me. They told me that I probably got this in Florida, they did not mention an amoeba, but said it was probably a mosquito bite. I still get bad migraines to this day and was told that this illness may have stunted my growth. I don't blame Disney or the state of Florida. People need to understand that Florida is a different kind of natural, and while it is really pretty, all that tropical beauty can put you in ICU if your not careful. I still go to Disneyworld when I can, but I'm that stinky chic that smells like bug spray. :animwink:

caparamedic

peter11435 said:
Well no, but I still wouldn't advise taking a dive in Bay Lake, or for that matter any other lake in Florida.

Our lab guys say the lake is in great shape.

When the weather is cool and the algea are not blooming, SCUBA diving is actually pretty good! I've had up to 20' of visibility. The old wave machine is a very nice reef and there are many turtles and fish living there. Wearing a dive mask will protect you from ameobas since you nasal passage is blocked off. Nose plugs will work too. The best thing is to stay off the bottom and not to stir it up. Hard to do when retrieving a body or lost object. :lol:

I've been in Bay Lake, Seven Seas, EPCOT Lagoon, Cresent Lake and some of the canals too. I'm a bit worried about alligators, but they usually avoid people as long as you don't feed them (that is a violation of state law and really dumb!).

By the way, RC had (still does) an open bromine injection system that treated the lake water and it flowed back into Bay Lake. The intake is about 20-30 yards from the RC beach and dam. On a clear water day, you could find the intake from the surface. The treated water was released under those fake rocks that were scattered about the RC lagoon. The pool, of course, used bleach for water treatment and rapid sand filters. There was enough bromine in the water to meet state, county and district health codes. In other words, nothing would grow in it. Fish that found their way into the lagoon quickly perished. Bromine is usually used in spas because it will survive the heat (about 103 degrees F) and stay effective in that range. Bleach will break down at those temperatures.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
i say open it, e-coli and all, for one last hooray while guest rent wet suits and breathing apperatices so they wont catch anything. that would be nice. something right out of the "future" world of 2060.

second thought of the matter, i guess they didnt have a filter on the baby pool for all those years................... lol............... ewwwwweee

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom