Ring removed from pavement at Haunted Mansion

The Mom

Premium Member
If any of you noticed :lookaroun I did a major editing job on this thread. :lol: It was either that, or lock it/remove it, which I felt was unfair to the OP who was only asking an innocent question. It's too bad that so many crossed the line from discussion over into argument. :rolleyes:

Mecha Figment

have i ever steared you guys wrong.

i'm telling you it's gone because somebody got tired of being asked about it and told maintence and mangament it was causing people to trip to get rid of it.

hcswingfield

I heard it was removed by the same guy who won't let people take pictures of his flower pot stands at the Epcot flower and garden show.

Eyorefan

I heard it was removed by the same guy who won't let people take pictures of his flower pot stands at the Epcot flower and garden show.

I think it was removed because the makers of the "fence" have a copyright on all their products and too many people were taking pictures of it.

I-4Warrior

I just think it's funny that for something that is not really part of the theme of the attraction, and was supposedly not put there on purpose by the Imagineers, that on the official site, the keys to the kingdom tour slideshow has the tourguide crouched next to (I may be wrong), the "ring" in the pavement. Strange. For something that is not part of the attraction, they appear to be showing it on a presentation about behind the scenes information.

kramicart

Only yesterday as I was exiting HM, I discovered a nice young couple searching for the "ring".

They heard it had been removed.

They knew it was not actually a ring.

They did not know the story of the old gate.

They simply liked the extra dimension that the urban legend brought to the ride. They said it was fun to use their imagination to bring the ride to life outside of the building.

Interesting!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Ok, back from my trip to WDW. I will post more about this in my trip report when I have a chance to do so, but:

1. I did here an "official" story as to the Haunted Mansion. It was a short blurb on the Liberty Belle River Boat as you round the corner into the dock. Something along the lines of "folks round these parts say that the house is haunted by spirits upset with where the house was built" or something like that. So, there you go......

2. The ring was removed and placed in front of Morocco at Epcot. I have a photo that I will post in my trip report. So now, for those who like the 'story" that the bide flung her ring into the pavement....how did she fling it all the way to Epcot?

3. Some one asked if the suit of armor that is placed at the entrance to the "long hall" were the candelabra floats....yes it moves very slightly.

SilentWindODoom

Okay, lets finally sort things out with this story debate:

The Haunted Mansion was Walt Disney's final project. Everyone toyed with various stories, such as one involving the Headless Horseman and another involving a pirate named Captain Blood. The facade was built, but the ride wasn't completed for some years afterwards, and so the outside bore a sign stating that it was a retirement home for ghosts. Unfortunately, before the ride reached completion, and, more important to the story, before a concrete story could be decided upon, Walt died.

This began a new era for Imagineering, and the company as a whole. Walt was always the deciding vote and the final say, but now there was a group of men who were all equal, without a clear cut leader, and they couldn't come to agreement. The biggest struggle was between the two camps of Claude Coates and Marc Davis. Claude Coates wanted to create a really dark and scary ride, which he believed was what a haunted mansion should be. Marc Davis, on the other hand, who was responsible for the funny characters of Pirates of the Caribbean, argued that the ride should be a light and fun one, believing that the dark tone that Coates wanted to set was too mean-spirited for a Disney park aimed at kiddies. This arguement raged on, and the eventual result was the current mansion, which mixes Davis's "happy haunts" with Coates's dark atmosphere, and one can see the difference in the dark first half of the ride and the light second half.

But, also, in the end they could not decide on an official story. And so it was simply left with the story of a "Ghost Host" taking guests on a tour of a haunted mansion. Originally, the Raven had a bigger part, which is why he appears so many times through the ride. He would punctuate the host's statements by screeching his last few words. Either way, the mansion does technically have a story. A host is taking mortals on a tour of a haunted mansion. However, nothing is explained about the individual ghosts; how they got there, who they are, or what their stories are. Some, however, consider the original plaque that hung outside to explain the presence of the ghosts. They have merely gathered there for what the sign calls "active retirement". However, Walt spoke of going out to Europe and finding ghosts living in castles and the like, and wanting to bring them back to live at the mansion, so it's probably more of a side story to make it seem like the ghosts are real than the story of the mansion.

Enter the Haunted Mansion community. The fans as well as CMs rode the ride, and there were some things they noticed. First of all, the tombstone dedicated to Yale Gracey bore the name "Master Gracey" and was bit bigger than the rest. They thus inferred that this must be the master of the mansion, likely the Ghost Host, and the place also gained the name "Gracey Manor". The second major point was the Bride. The Bride was set by herself, and kind of ruled the attic. She must have been important. Maybe she was the bride of Master Gracey! Not sure when the ring came to be discovered, but it was matched up with the Bride. Some say her position near the mirror, and the ring smashed into the pavement denoted a fall (perhaps with someone's help) into the cold stone below. Is so, then perhaps the slide down from the window represented her fall.

And so things grew from there. The CMs began cobbling together a story, and would eventually look through the ride and make up a story for all of the ghosts inside. The final result, which has been one of the foremost examples of the Haunted Mansion story is the Ghost Gallery, a grand collection of these stories by the Magic Kingdom Haunted Mansion CMs, which can be found here: http://members.aol.com/HtdMsn/gallery.html. It is notable that even the ring is given a place in this story. Many stories regarding the mansion have the same key players, and even the same major plot points, although there is always some discrepancies.

There is a strong story for the Haunted Mansion. A very strong story. In fact, there are two or three, with an infinite amount of stories based on those but with a few discrepancies. In fact, the story has become a major part of the attraction, and has made it more enjoyable. Everyone can pass on their version of the story, whether telling it to their children, other relatives, or simply guests passing by the mansion grounds. The story has become to integral that Disney has even validated some parts of it in its feature film (Master Gracey, Gracey Manor, the Bride being his wife).

However, the fact of the matter is that there is no story to the Haunted Mansion officially, or at least not as much of one as we'd like. It's just a series of interesting sights. The story that everyone knows is really nothing but fan fiction. However, the fan fiction has become to ingrained into the attraction that it might as well be official in the minds of many people. Disney knows that.

That being said, we now know why Disney cemented over the ring. They were told it was a safety hazard, and dealt with it quickly as possible (accounting for the bad job). If that didn't happen, they'd probably leave it there. It's become a beloved part of the attraction. Unfortunatley, one man who is a number of things I can't say on a family board has ruined it all for us.

Also, I'm curious to see the pictures of the gate. I've seen a diagram, but never an actually seen a picture. Yes, it was a small pole that they couldn't get out of the pavement so they sawed it off. It was not a ring, but we wanted it to be so badly. Did it actually look like one? The jewel was made of iron! The jewel can obviously be seen to be the tip of a large flathead screwdriver that they attempted to pry the thing out with. Oh, but we didn't care. It was too perfect. It was a bit of Disney magic that has been lost to the ages.

Anyway, that's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth about the Mansion's story and the ring's origins taken from Doombuggies.com, Jason Surrel's book, the Ghost Gallery, and a variety of other sources.
And that's the story of the

ThumperDude

(new to the board, veteran lurker)
I've never heard of this before. To bad they have removed it. It's a cool detail and story. As far as I'm concerned, it could have come from the warp-drive off an alien spaceship over 100,00 years ago. Who cares, I mean, the man proposed to his fiancee' at this site. It's very special and magical to them and to some of us. Keep the Disney magic alive. If my boyfriend were to propose to me at this site, I would say 'yes' in a split second. Of course we would have to get married within the arctic circle, but that's another issue.
This is one of the things I love about Disney. All the hidden details and stories. Even if it is just an afterthought, a rumor or the like. Around every corner or bend in the path there is something new to discover.
Now it's straight on towards the Dole Whips.
ThumperDude

bhg469

^^ LOL! But its not even a ring! Just cause some dude proposed to his girlfriend there doesn't make it a ring. I was really let down when i found out it wasn't a ring but that was 2 years ago. I thought it added alot to the attraction but when someone proved it to be a fence post thats it end of story. If i propose to my girlfriend and it happens to be in disney i will make sure it is right next to something permanent like the wand on spaceship earth, or the hat in mgm. Maybe even by stitch. At least those were all meant to be what they are.

Epcot82Guy

Ah. The death of American imagination. You do realize half the things we use and interact with were designed to be something completely different. Development of purpose from mistakes is half of what has made our country successful. But, to each his own. I miss the ring, simply because it was perhaps the pinacle of people deriving intent and purpose out of something completely mundane and purposeless. It was something that really does happen only at Disney parks.

bhg469

^Stich will jump out at your future wife and eat her.

Could get me out of a wedding if i needed to.

Ah. The death of American imagination. You do realize half the things we use and interact with were designed to be something completely different. Development of purpose from mistakes is half of what has made our country successful. But, to each his own. I miss the ring, simply because it was perhaps the pinacle of people deriving intent and purpose out of something completely mundane and purposeless. It was something that really does happen only at Disney parks.

Far from it. I see bunnies in clouds all the time without beer.

Since1976

I bet the CMs working the attraction pushed to have the ring removed. Getting pestered about where to find Hidden Mickeys is one thing, but repeatedly getting asked about a ring which is really just an accidental hole in the ground would probably drive a CM mad...

That said, I hope the Imagineers eventually put a REAL ring somewhere on the grounds, as an homage to this fan-produced legend...

Lokheed

Original Poster
Just cause some dude proposed to his girlfriend there doesn't make it a ring.

I never said it did. And I am amazed that this thread still has legs. It was a cool little thing, it went away, I asked about it, and started a month long debate. How random is that?

bhg469

I never said it did. And I am amazed that this thread still has legs. It was a cool little thing, it went away, I asked about it, and started a month long debate. How random is that?

That wasn't directed at you at all. And it is funny that this turned into a debate.

Mansion Butler

^Stich will jump out at your future wife and eat her.

Stick with the castle or something romantic :king:

I'm taking my soon-to-be-fiance to the fountains in front of the Imagination Pavilion. It was the sight of our first kiss on-property. At night it's beautiful.

Unless she can't make it to the World for spring break, then I have to figure out where to do it at Disneyland this summer.

hokielutz

I'm taking my soon-to-be-fiance to the fountains in front of the Imagination Pavilion. It was the sight of our first kiss on-property. At night it's beautiful.

Unless she can't make it to the World for spring break, then I have to figure out where to do it at Disneyland this summer.

Congrats on your future proposal. I'd say that is a great idea to do it where you first kissed. very romantic.

I did not have that luxury for my Disney proposal... ours was in front of the castle. It was her first day in the Magic Kingdom with me ever. (2nd day in her life at the MK)

Hope all goes well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom