Riders hit by outage at Epcot

MSTINKHERBELL01

I guess some people will call anything traumatic. I know that my gf is really afraid of heights and while she enjoys Soarin' she is still alittle nervous each time we ride it. If it was suspened in mid air, I admit, she will freak for a second but wouldnt expect compensation or get dramatic about it (well, at least not to anyone but me:rolleyes: )

Oh Well:)

luckyeye13

The power in the Magic Kingdom area also went out and all three monorail beams lost partial power. I was working at the Contemporary station and noticed that some of the lights started flickering. I didn't really think anything of it, though, until I noticed that monorail Lime was stuck on the hill just leaving the Contemporary on the Resort beam and a call came in over our radios asking all trains to stop wherever they were and to report if they had power. After a few minutes, monorail Lime was told to reverse back into the Contemporary (since we still had power on our part of the beam) and unload all of its Guests. The pilot of Lime, the other Cast Member at the Contemporary station, and I then dumped the platform and the train towards the escalator and elevator and directed everyone to buses and the walkway to the Magic Kingdom. A few minutes later, the Express and Resort beams resumed normal operation, though the Epcot beam was closed for probably another 30-60 minutes.

Apparently, the Magic Kingdom only lost partial power on its attractions. I called City Hall after a Guest asked about the attractions and the lady on the phone said that most of them were operating.

Epcot82Guy

GOD HAS SPOKEN! DO NOT PUT THE 3 CABS INTO MEXICO OR PEOPLE WILL BE TRAUMATIZED ON SOARIN'! :fork:

(hey. gotta try! :D :lookaroun )

Anyway, this lawsuit would easily fall under the category of "frivilous". There is not possibly any claim of relief that a lawyer, let alone a court, should look at with any seriousness. These are reasonable risks one takes by travelling to a theme park (heck, anywhere!). Therefore, there isn't (and absolutely should not be) any fault on Disney. Hand the people a nice fastpass or something for their little bit of trouble, and call it a day. Clearly y'all need some more happenings in O-Town if kids being ''traumatized" by this is news! (Now, the editorial on poor parenting being immortalized in print, THAT'S a story! :zipit: )

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
The only thing I can think about it being tramatic is if it was pitch dark in there after the power went out. That would freak me out! I'm sure some type of emergency lighting came on though. Who knows...people freak out when they are not sure what is going to happen next..*shrugs*

slappy magoo

I'd like to introduce Roger Ferell of Atlanta to some friends of mine who managed to get out of the World Trade Center on 9/11/01. You know, so they can compare traumas.

I mean, it's one thing if WDW set up an unsafe enviornment where the CMS working clearly didn't care if anyone got hurt or not. But if this is not that case, then someone needs to hand Mr. Ferrell a big brimming cup of STFU.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
GOD HAS SPOKEN! DO NOT PUT THE 3 CABS INTO MEXICO OR PEOPLE WILL BE TRAUMATIZED ON SOARIN'! :fork:

(hey. gotta try! :D :lookaroun )

Anyway, this lawsuit would easily fall under the category of "frivilous". There is not possibly any claim of relief that a lawyer, let alone a court, should look at with any seriousness. These are reasonable risks one takes by travelling to a theme park (heck, anywhere!). Therefore, there isn't (and absolutely should not be) any fault on Disney. Hand the people a nice fastpass or something for their little bit of trouble, and call it a day. Clearly y'all need some more happenings in O-Town if kids being ''traumatized" by this is news! (Now, the editorial on poor parenting being immortalized in print, THAT'S a story! :zipit: )
This is Disney though. "Hit with a falling brick from the castle" and "The hydrolators ruptured my eardrums" made it to court.
:brick:

AliciaLuvzDizne

hmmmm, so i guess it is safe to assume that his kids dont ever go on ferris wheels were you are temporarily suspended in air. if they are scared of heights... i probably wouldnt have taken them on this attraction.

yes, it is so traumatic to sit in a comfortable seat for 15 minutes while the power outage gets fixed. try a sky bucket for 20 minutes, a ski lift for 15 in a snow storm or on a coaster lift hill for 10...... it comes with the territory.

the sad thing is, he probably made it into a stressful situation instead of making the best of it and keeping his kids calm.
:sohappy:

the rides went down at the MK too last night for a brief period.
And all my ice cream was melty
(the melty ice cream is probably way more traumatic than sitting on Soarin')

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Douchy McSueAlot of HickLand was with his wife and three yungins on the "Soarin' Over Whatchamallcallit" ride when the power went out and they were suspended in midair for about 15 minutes, he said.

"This has been traumatic," he said from his magical phone with no cords, Sunday night. "After something like that, my kin don't want to ride anymore, they HATE Mikey Mouse now! My son has turned to a life of crime, my daughters GPA has dropped, and my wife left me!"

Now THAT would be "traumatic" :lol: :lookaroun

Tim G

I said to my wife... Dear.... Don't push that button...

DON'T PUSH THAT BUTTON........ DON'T PUSH THA.....

night.JPG

Shaman

I think it's hard to make any judgement calls relating to the incident and the people it affected (how) if you were not there...sitting in the ride when everything went dark. We can't tell lots about a person or their situation from a small quote.

I will admit, though, that like many here, my first reaction when reading that was: :rolleyes:

Maybe it was a bad choice of words (deliberate or not). *shrug*

Shaman

Crap!!!

It's always better sitting in the dark in Soarin' than in SGE... :lookaroun

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I would've loved to be sitting in the dark at Soarin'...

Maybe one day they can test a..."Soarin' in the dark"...or something along those lines...:lookaroun

DisneySaint

I really can't comment on this situation but let me clarify one fact:

The lights were out for one maybe two seconds. The work lights were on and no one was sitting "in the dark." (in fact, it was in the light!) Everyone was safe and secure. Trust me, they do a gazillion tests and scenarios on these things to ensure the safety of the guests.

I think I would have to know more about the ages of the kids before I started passing out the D U H perscriptions. If his kids were young and the car jurked to a stop or bucked at all and then the room goes dark for a min and then sure the kids were probably freaking out. Again we are talking about little kids here guys so think of it from their point of view. I think we can all remember a time when we were afaid of something. but again I need to know more about him and the kids before I write out that D-U-H

Aww!! I was over at character connection working and when the power outage happened, we got swamped with a lot of guest. It was so fun though because as soon as the first lights started going on and off at characters, pluto got down on his fours and started shiver and shaking. We had to calm the poor thing down. :(

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
:sohappy:

the rides went down at the MK too last night for a brief period.
And all my ice cream was melty
(the melty ice cream is probably way more traumatic than sitting on Soarin')
amen to that.... i swear, mint chocolate chip is the last thing in the world that needs to melt!

make that a double! :slurp:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom