Riders hit by outage at Epcot

TheDisneyMagic

In my opinion this is madness on refering to the person that went to the press, how can they say an experience like this is traumatising, surely if they spoke to the children during the experience and told them that everything is ok and nothing bad is going to happen then they would have been fine. An experience like this is not something every guest gets to experience plus they had all ready been given this wonderful oppertunity with the YOAMD EMH to stay in the park after regular hours. This person appears to just want their 5 minutes of fame.

rcapolete

i must say people are being alittle ridiculous(sp) about beating up on this guy. Anyone who is a father/mother will realize that something that seems like a small thing to an adult can actually tramatize(sp) a child. Realize that the ability of a child to grasp what is actually going on is not the same as an adult. Is he trying to make more of it then it was maybe but i can also see where it could be a scary situation for a child.

csaguy

??

This ain't right!
People going to WDW get stuck on the interstate for hours because of an accident, they aren't traumatized! The power goes out at home, you don't panic. Your buckled in, the emergency lights come on -NO PROBLEM. If you don't try and make the best of things, life will be rotten.
:brick:

rileyspaw

The guy sounds like he's looking for something FREE!!!!!!!!!!!! I wonder if DISNEY compensated the guy and his family to shut them up?

MagliteL13

According to the Downtown Disney Web site, Soarin' takes riders 40 feet into the air. An IMAX movie screen displays images of typical California fare, such as the Golden Gate Bridge.

I wanna know why the press had to quote the wrong site when referring to an Epcot attraction.

Empress Room

i must say people are being alittle ridiculous(sp) about beating up on this guy. Anyone who is a father/mother will realize that something that seems like a small thing to an adult can actually tramatize(sp) a child. Realize that the ability of a child to grasp what is actually going on is not the same as an adult. Is he trying to make more of it then it was maybe but i can also see where it could be a scary situation for a child.

This is clearly true; however, his job as a father is to help his children understand the situation and comfort the traumatized children - in essence, be a parent. He should not have focused his efforts on media interviews or demands for counseling. My gosh, Disney is not the parent here, he is. He should have acted more like one based on this account.

Epcot82Guy

This is clearly true; however, his job as a father is to help his children understand the situation and comfort the traumatized children - in essence, be a parent. He should not have focused his efforts on media interviews or demands for counseling. My gosh, Disney is not the parent here, he is. He should have acted more like one based on this account.

I have to agree. THere are times people jump at the parents, but I fully believe this is justified. There is a huge chance that this was very scary for the kids (I even would feel a bit uneasy). But, there are a few facts I just have to assume. (1) If they were up in the air for 15 minutes, I will guarantee you the CMs were having contact with them in some way. So, it was not the complete "we're trapped" situation without communication. (2) From what people have said about his statements, he was not upset about his children being scared but rather the reduction of ridetime (I could be misreading that, but that's what I got from it). (3) His actions did nothing to help his children's situation. Even if they were petrified, I bet the early memory of "Daddy screaming all the way across Epcot" will not do anything to alleviate the fear.

While parenting can absolutely be frustrating, pandering and, even worse, overreacting can be troublesome. To put it in perspective, my parents took me on the Python at BG when I was 5 or 6 (just tall enough). Guess what, we got stuck. At the top of the lift hill for about 10 minutes. They didn't say anything to us, and we eventually finished the circuit. Well, needless to say, I was a bit upset. And, it was several years until I rode a rollercoaster again. Did it scare me? Sure. But, my parents let it go until I was old enough to figure it out. They would always ask if I wanted to go, and I would say no. They would ask if I was afraid of getting stuck, and I would say yes. Then, about 3 or 4 years after that, we watched it; they went through. And I got on without issue and have been a coaster nut ever since. Parenting is making the best of the situation for your child without creating senses of entitlement or overprotection. They had a bad experience. No doubt. But, the best of the situation would be to explain what happened and understand they may be fearful for awhile. I bet, though, with some creative discussion and maybe even a little sitting in the dark back at the hotel, the kids would get over it and try again the next day.

MickeyTigg

I think it's hard to make any judgement calls relating to the incident and the people it affected (how) if you were not there...sitting in the ride when everything went dark. We can't tell lots about a person or their situation from a small quote.

Oh come on....15 minutes is hardly traumatic. I can see for some people some anxiety...but hardly traumatic.

I don't think you have to be there to make some fairly reasonable assumptions. We've all been on the ride. I think based on our collective experiences and some common sense that that this guy is looking for something out of Disney.

Not to go off on a tangent, but this "we weren't there" talk and cutting this guy some slack is just making excuses for this bozo.

disneytati

The guy sounds like he's looking for something FREE!!!!!!!!!!!! I wonder if DISNEY compensated the guy and his family to shut them up?

I totally agree!!!!! I really think he made such a fuss to take advantage of the situation. It sucks, but it's a more reasonable explanation for his choice of words.

WRE4ever

how is this news? so the rides went down for 15 mins.....things like that do happen....its not that bad haha....

and that wasnt directed towards the person who started this thread....it applies to the people who actually made this news in the first place

figment1988

i don't know how getting stuck on soarin' be so "traumatizing". this is the kind of stuff that only 3 lawyers can deal with 1. Lionel Hutz, 2. Harvey Birdman and 3. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

disney.co.nr

Oh well... power outages... there's nothing you can do about it...

And Yes... Veeeeeeeeeeeeery Traumatic!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
They must have had them down in approx, 3 minutes, that's what it takes to start the emergency winches and getting them all back on the ground again... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

at the very least his 15 mins of trauma turned into 15 mins of fame...

napnet

Original Poster
how is this news? so the rides went down for 15 mins.....things like that do happen....its not that bad haha....

This goes back to what seems like the Media's love of all things that go bad at WDW.

and that wasnt directed towards the person who started this thread....it applies to the people who actually made this news in the first place

I figured :)

disney9752

I think they should concentrate on finding the person that threw the outage to begin with.

i say look at the osborne lights at d-mgm, it seems for a good 10 years now, evey year around this time power outages start happening across property as those blasted lights get hooked up.:veryconfu

I-4Warrior

Traumatic... I think not.

I know I'm treading on sacred ground here, but the most "traumatic" thing I've run across at the World was several years ago when my wife, brother and I were stuck between scenes on Carousel of Progress... while It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow plays to either side of you in a true aural nightmarescape. Nothing rotated and we were treated to the scenario again and again. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Carousel, but come on. Walt himself would be bellowing "ENOUGH ALREADY!!" in the same situation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom