Riders hit by outage at Epcot

AlishaMisha

I understand why this subject was posted (and i appreciate it) but why did some random persons experiance get posted also? I could see if it was a unique one but come on. Now i wouldn't call any of this experiance tramatic...nerve wrenching maybe...but not tramatic.

Ive been stuck on rides before (1/2 and hour on HM next to the ghost bride is a lil scary), but seriously people, you gotta remember to carefully choose your words when making a new post. Otherwise you get pointless debates like this one when then the real subject was the power-outage not the "tramatic" experiance of a fellow guest.

thats my 2 cents...

~Leash

dandaman

According to the Downtown Disney Web site, Soarin' takes riders 40 feet into the air. An IMAX movie screen displays images of typical California fare, such as the Golden Gate Bridge.

Dangit! Must be another WDW.com site glitch! :lookaroun :rolleyes:

YouCanFly

I just wanted to clarify to everyone that this occured at about 10:10pm, which was when we were doing the special event for the Year of a Million Dreams. They gave out wristbands to certain guests, just like what they did for Animal Kingdom a couple of weeks ago. It's sad that guests are complaining because the lights just flickered, that was all and all work lights went on, on all attractions.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think I would have to know more about the ages of the kids before I started passing out the D U H perscriptions.
Maybe. Kids got worried. Fine. Scared. Yep, But traumatised? Just another over-the-top media quote. As posted earlier, 9/11 was traumatic. My car crash was traumatic. But stuck on Soarin`? Pleeeease...

PKD

I just wanted to clarify to everyone that this occured at about 10:10pm, which was when we were doing the special event for the Year of a Million Dreams. They gave out wristbands to certain guests, just like what they did for Animal Kingdom a couple of weeks ago. It's sad that guests are complaining because the lights just flickered, that was all and all work lights went on, on all attractions.

Yep, that is the time the Boardwalk & Celebration lost their power (though a lot of them didn't come back on for sometime in Celebration)

Walt Sent Me

Let me also say that there were only about 1500 people in the park. Anyone in the park should have been greatful they were picked to stay later. For the jacka$$ who was complaining, I hope you never come back. The world needs to get rid of people like you.

Afterall, this was a privelge and it can be taken away!

Tim G

Let me also say that there were only about 1500 people in the park.
:eek: You counted them! :eek:
Anyone in the park should have been greatful they were picked to stay later.

For the jacka$$ who was complaining, I hope you never come back. The world needs to get rid of people like you.

Afterall, this was a privelge and it can be taken away!
Would you be so kind to tone down you're way of writing...

Thanks in advance...

Epcot82Guy

I clearly missed my opportunity. I was there in July 02 when the transformers blew up, and we had to stay in the Greenhouses (about hte only Epcot workers still on staff) to keep the plants alive. When the Orlando July heat mixes with covered glass/plastic houses, THAT is traumatizing (we maxed out the 120 degree thermometers). Clearly, though, the fact that the lights flickered for 2 seconds and a family got stuck sitting down in an airconditioned building in the light was much more traumatizing.

I love plaintiffs... :zipit:
(aside from the fact they pay the bills, of course!)

Krupknick

Ok guys Several years back Myself and my family were on a Monorail that had a electrical fire and were evacuated to the roof And taken off of the top of the Monorail by RCFD!.... NOT TRAUMATIC....
Stuck in a building with emergency lights in a seat with a seatbelt.... Traumatic Dont Think SO.

JeremyM

If there was a power outage, wouldn't there be a generator, or an emergency system, or other such power redundancy, to allow for the lights to come on, and get people off the rides? It sounds like that happened from the cast member who reported, but why wasn't that a part of the newspaper article? Engineers plan for these kinds of events. Sounds like things were handled by the book.

Tim G

If there was a power outage, wouldn't there be a generator, or an emergency system, or other such power redundancy, to allow for the lights to come on, and get people off the rides? It sounds like that happened from the cast member who reported, but why wasn't that a part of the newspaper article? Engineers plan for these kinds of events. Sounds like things were handled by the book.
Usually the working (emergency) should go on... And there should be a winch to lower the seats... should take no more than approx. 3 minutes

joshwill

i got stuck on test track twice, l__________y it was on the inside as it was like 90 outside. i felt soory for the people stuck sitting in the blzing sun, especially the they were stuck on the turns

Matpez

I was next in line for the resort monorail when the lights flickered two times and the monorail ops radios went crazy with the orders... this was about 10:10. DW and I knew something bad was up and all the monorails were stopped. We fled the station and headed for the boat to the TTC and got there just before they started to send all exiting traffic that way! When we crossed to the other side and were walking back through the parking lot, the Epcot monorail was still stopped over the parking lot on its way to the TTC. Those people were stuck for at least 20 minutes, and I wasn't staying around to see how long they were there after that. It was quite a sight to see the monorail ops going nuts as the radios were all yelling about the power failure and such.

CrashNet

There were only 1500 hundred people in the park because yesterday was a special EMH night as part of the Million Dreams Celebration. 1500 people were randomly given wristbands during the day to attend.

Storms further north caused a huge power surge through most of the state of Florida. A power surge would trip any major ride and shut it down for the safety of the people on it and to protect its components...just like a surge protector. Backup generators would work for lighting, etc, and I'm sure they have them for safety reasons. Rides however use way too much power to justify the number of generators needed. Plus, the generators aren't instantaneous, and the ride would still go down.

The guy from this article was a complete NUT.JOB. He freaked out because his kids didn't get to ride anything and they were stuck on Soarin' for 5 or 6 minutes. He literally yelled from The Land to Guest Relations, and was on the phone with Orlando Sentinel when he got up to the desk. I kid you not, he demanded onsite grief counseling for his children. I CANNOT make this up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom