Ride Ruiners

spock

My 2 cents on what really ruins a ride has to be the judgemental meanies of the world. My son is 5 so guess what- there is a bit of additional narration required from me during HoP and AA. I generally whisper to him with my nose actually touching his hair (and he to me in the same fashion) to try not to disturb anyone but there is always someone who dislikes that we have to lean to whisper or that we turned our heads. And guess what- at 5 he thinks that he is the first person to ever notice that someone is being dropped into the well on PotC or all the bees on Splash so you are going to hear him say, with delight, "oh look mom... isn't that awesome?" And I think he has every right to be excited. He isn't standing up. He isn't screaming. He isn't jumping. I just don't see how a little child enjoying a ride ruins it for anyone else. He's under control, he just isn't a paralyzed mute.

There is nothing quite like experiencing a Disney attraction all over again through the eyes of a child is there? :sohappy:

MissAlmyra

I never understood people reciting the narrations of rides! It's like talking during a movie.
I love HM and ToT to pieces and know most of the narration, but I'd never talk over the show itself. Rather, I like to see how the first-timers are reacting to the ride!
There's something kind of priceless about the stretching room when you know it's going dark...and the others don't! :animwink:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
There is no defending ride ruiners. Here are my simple rules.

1. Wait in line like a normal human being. If your group is not together, wait till it is, then enter the line. And do not stand so close to me that I can feel your breath. It is rude.

2. Keep your mouth shut. I do not care what you think of the attraction. I do not care that you know the words to spiel. WOW, we are all so impressed that you managed to memorize the lines from the stretching room. You are a genius. Furthermore, I do not care that your companion does not understand something. Be quiet. There are lots of other people trying to enjoy the ride, and you are ruining it for everyone. Also, you are not funny. Your jokes are dumb, just be quiet for 5 minutes of your life.

3. No flash Photography in a dark ride. You do not need 10 pictures of the inside of PotC or SWSA. You need to learn to read and listen. It is very clear that Flash Photography is not allowed. If you are too dumb to follow this rule then you should probably not be allowed out of the house in the first place. Stay home.

4. STAY SEATED. Once again, you are not funny. You are not cool either. If you stand up on a ride, and hundreds of other people get stuck on said ride, because you are on planet look at me, you should be ashamed of yourself. Use that little pea brain of yours to think of others before you act.

Please do not defend the ride ruiners people. They are criminals and should be treated as such.

Just wondering how split up split up means... are we talking you 8 on this one and you 10 on the next or you 8 on this one and you 10 will eventually get to ride an hour from now? If it's the first then it seems silly that they weren't ok with dealing with it. If it's the 2nd then I can maybe see why they wanted to stick together. My grandmother is handicapped and lives in Florida. When the whole clan gets together to see her she will occassionally take us all to a park. Now, she isn't taking us because she is dieing to experience rides with the 30 year olds, but she wants to enjoy her great grandchildren's reactions to things. My point being she would want to be in the truck with the kids, which is fine- unless she then had to watch the kids for an hour while waiting for us parents to have our ride. The thought of the trouble that would cause makes me cringe! Haha! Obviously though, the family should never have had an attitude about it.

It was basically asking if 8 people would go on the handicap truck and 10 go onto a regular truck. I'm pretty sure all 18 people will not be interacting all at once... Glad to see others understand my point.

mp2bill

Flash pictures on dark rides are t he worst, especially since most of the people doing it either don't have the right equipment or enough knowledge of their equipment to get good pictures out of it anyway

Yeah, it's like when people were taking pictures of Barry Bonds trying to break the record while using their flash from the upper deck. Morons...

UberPlannerMom

It was basically asking if 8 people would go on the handicap truck and 10 go onto a regular truck. I'm pretty sure all 18 people will not be interacting all at once... Glad to see others understand my point.

OK definitely silly for them to throw a fit. Of course, maybe I think that because after a few hours of being with all of my family I am the first to volunteer to be odd man out when we don't all fit. " I'm sorry...we can't all fit you say? Oh well, I will take one for the team and have a few minutes were I can't hear my cousins arguing or everyone "discussing" where to go next!":ROFLOL:

PeoplemoverTTA

Back when I was a teenager (in the mid-90s :eek:), I admit that
at I took flash pictures with my crummy 110 camera. I truly didn't realize how dumb I was, lol (although I have some cool pics from Horizons and Delta Dreamflight, I must admit :D). This was before ride videos and endless numbers of pictures were available online to help you relive the magic.

I actually think that makes flash pictures even more unforgivable now. Enjoy the ride and be in the moment - more talented photographers have taken better on-ride pics and videos (without disturbing other guests!) and you can relive the moment through them.

Two weeks ago in the World, I watched a woman take flash pics during Philharmagic...how could she possibly think that was worthwhile?

I also watched HoP while a mid-40s male and his two late teens sons loudly recited all the presidents' names before Morgan Freeman....then laughed loudly when correct. I applaud your knowledge, but you're being obnoxious. I turned and gave them dirty looks, but it didn't do any good.

Lastly, we had a ghost host reciter in the stretch room as well. Rather than make a rude remark, I tried to guilt the guy. I turned to my cousin as we were exiting and said, "This ride is so great, but it kind of ruins it when people recite along so loudly. I'm here to experience the ride, not someone else's narration." I thought it was a nice way to put it, but I guess not, because then he loudly called me a very un-Disney name. Stay classy, buddy!

spock

Two weeks ago in the World, I watched a woman take flash pics during Philharmagic...how could she possibly think that was worthwhile?

I think most people, unless they are into photography (which I happen to be) tend to set their cameras in automatic mode so that all they have to do is compose the shot and press the button, and let the camera take care of the rest. Unfortunately, automatic mode almost always results in a flash going off in indoor shots, and even outdoor shots if it's not light enough out. I think that's the main reason we tend to see flashes going off inside attractions and even during fireworks shows. It's easy to look at them and think, How could they possibly think that shot will turn out?, but I honestly don't think the flash is intentional most of the time. Also, the way many cameras are set up, if you are looking through the viewfinder when you're taking the picture, you often won't realize the flash has even gone off.

Tigger1988

I think most people, unless they are into photography (which I happen to be) tend to set their cameras in automatic mode so that all they have to do is compose the shot and press the button, and let the camera take care of the rest. Unfortunately, automatic mode almost always results in a flash going off in indoor shots, and even outdoor shots if it's not light enough out. I think that's the main reason we tend to see flashes going off inside attractions and even during fireworks shows. It's easy to look at them and think, How could they possibly think that shot will turn out?, but I honestly don't think the flash is intentional most of the time. Also, the way many cameras are set up, if you are looking through the viewfinder when you're taking the picture, you often won't realize the flash has even gone off.

Flash or no flash, taking pictures during Philharmagic is an idiotic idea...

spock

Flash or no flash, taking pictures during Philharmagic is an idiotic idea...

Oh trust me, I agree with you that it seems like an odd thing to try and get a decent picture of. I'm just saying that I doubt that most of the people who are doing it are trying to be obnoxious or break any "no flash photography" rules.

If you recite a spiel, bleep you. If you take flash photography on a dark ride, bleep you. If you make a joke during an attraction, bleep you. If scream obnoxiously prior to a ride starting, bleep you. If you do anything to take away any enjoyment from another guest, because you are a selfish %$!?&, bleep you.

I am not joking.

I'd like to add one more, please.

If the cast member says move to the end of the aisle and you decide to sit in the middle thereby forcing others to walk over you to get to the end of the aisle BLEEP YOU!

This happens more and more. We were in It's Tough to be a Bug on August 3rd. The family tried to pretend they didn't understand English. I said it to them in their language. They refused to move. The poor cast member was at a loss. It totally ruined the experience, especially when they yelled to my husband in English on their way out! They waited until they were far enough away and in the crowd. So, yes, BLEEP you middle of the aisle people.

UberPlannerMom

I'd like to add one more, please.

If the cast member says move to the end of the aisle and you decide to sit in the middle thereby forcing others to walk over you to get to the end of the aisle BLEEP YOU!

This happens more and more. We were in It's Tough to be a Bug on August 3rd. The family tried to pretend they didn't understand English. I said it to them in their language. They refused to move. The poor cast member was at a loss. It totally ruined the experience, especially when they yelled to my husband in English on their way out! They waited until they were far enough away and in the crowd. So, yes, BLEEP you middle of the aisle people.

It makes it even better when they get nasty with you for having to walk past them to fill up the seats.

janoimagine

I find that stepping on feet and or 'accidentally' swinging my camera bag with ball head and carbon fiber tripod in the direction of said offender eases my frustration with middle asile seat announcement ignorers. :D

Furiated

I also watched HoP while a mid-40s male and his two late teens sons loudly recited all the presidents' names before Morgan Freeman....then laughed loudly when correct. I applaud your knowledge, but you're being obnoxious. I turned and gave them dirty looks, but it didn't do any good.

Lastly, we had a ghost host reciter in the stretch room as well. Rather than make a rude remark, I tried to guilt the guy. I turned to my cousin as we were exiting and said, "This ride is so great, but it kind of ruins it when people recite along so loudly. I'm here to experience the ride, not someone else's narration." I thought it was a nice way to put it, but I guess not, because then he loudly called me a very un-Disney name. Stay classy, buddy!

I saw a combination of these two happen on my last trip.

I was in the last row and this guy and his girlfriend were in the row in front of me. Just the way this guy carried himself and was acting he looked like a jerk. During the show he kept talking very loudly to his girlfriend. Finally a guy in front of him turned around and asked him to be quiet, which did not go over well, but he did stop talking. After the show, I saw Jerk get up very quickly and seek out the other guy and it looked like he was moving to intercept, so I followed along just in case Jerk was going to try and jump him or something. They both exited their aisles at the same time, and Jerk didn't do anything, so I figured I had just misread the situation. Nope. Apparently he was just waiting until they were outside the theater and then Jerk confronted the guy that scolded him and was yelling at him that he was just reciting the names of the presidents, and that the other guy must be dumb because he didn't know the names of all the presidents (how the fact that the other guy was quietly watching the show meant that he didn't know the presidents' names, I have no idea). The other guy made the argument that he paid to hear the show, not to hear Jerk recite the presidents' names. It didn't end up escalating past that, they pretty much just exchanged a few more plesantries and walked off in separate directions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom