Ride Ruiners

Todd L

" I paid the admission fee therefore..I will do as I please when I please to whomever I please even at the displeasure and discomfort of everyone around me"

Its awful and I just dont understand how ANYONE thinks their conversation, Flash Picture or telephone call is more important than everything else going on around them.

Ive seen it in Resturants, Movies, In cars and on the morning train when people are trying to get some extra sleep on the way into the city.

Hey Tool....everyone one else paid to come in too and Nobody cares to overhear your conversation!!! Go Home and be a dope ...we dont need any more around here.

" I paid the admission fee therefore..I will do as I please when I please to whomever I please even at the displeasure and discomfort of everyone around me"

Its awful and I just dont understand how ANYONE thinks their conversation, Flash Picture or telephone call is more important than everything else going on around them.

Ive seen it in Resturants, Movies, In cars and on the morning train when people are trying to get some extra sleep on the way into the city.

Hey Tool....everyone one else paid to come in too and Nobody cares to overhear your conversation!!! Go Home and be a dope ...we dont need any more around here.

Someone being on a phone in a restaurant bothers you?? :confused:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Someone being on a phone in a restaurant bothers you?? :confused:

When I have to listen to their conversation because they don't realize that you don't have to scream into a cell phone...then yes.

Like I said before, it USED to be considered rude to accept phone calls during the dinner hour. What is so important that it cannot wait a few minutes for some privacy? Isn't the present company that you are with more important that someone on the other side of the phone?

When I have to listen to their conversation because they don't realize that you don't have to scream into a cell phone...then yes.

Ahhh. Then you should have said that people screaming into their phones at a table annoy you. :)

Like I said before, it USED to be considered rude to accept phone calls during the dinner hour.

We don't live in 1950. ;)

What is so important that it cannot wait a few minutes for some privacy? Isn't the present company that you are with more important that someone on the other side of the phone?

Of course I wouldn't spend the entire meal talking on a phone. I'd rather be eating and talking to the people I am with but sometimes a call is necessary. I happen to work in a position where dealing with a judge or lawyer is a requirement. Just because I go on vacation doesn't mean that court stops. Now I do have co-workers that can handle 99% of the issues for me but there is the odd circumstance where they need to get a hold of me right then, regardless of whether I am on vacation or not. That's the price I pay for the paycheck I get. :) But you wouldn't know that if you saw me get on my phone at a restaurant. You would just assume that I am making an unnecessary call. Right? Try to understand that some people have things that must continue while they are on vacation and that just because they use a phone at a table does not mean they are a horrible person. Now the teeny bopper calling his/her friends to talk about the hot new kid in school, yeah, they need a slappin.

That being said, I would never, under any circumstances answer a call in a ride or attraction or show. Let alone a dark ride. I wouldn't even pull it out of my pocket on those rides for fear of ruining others experiences. I don't want to be one of those *%$#@% people. ;) But if I am in a position to answer my phone outside of one of those places, even if it is at a table, then I will answer it.

hajenga

Isn't it funny

The cell phone thing is what annoys me the most, I can't imagine looking at my cell phone on a ride because I would actually be enjoying the ride too much to care whats going on with my phone. If there is an emergency thats one thing, but when I see someone with a phone out on a ride they're usually just texting or tweeting.

I take the cell phone thing semi-personally because I have to deal with it all too often at work, (I'm a cashier at Staples). I hate when I'm trying to help a customer with something, for example by giving them information about a rewards card which would basically give them free money, but they're on their phone. Its rude that I'm going out of my way to try to help someone, when they answer their phone in the middle of me talking, OR when they get in line already on the phone and just continue their conversation while I ring them out. After dealing with this so often it drives me absolutely crazy when someone feels the need to pull out a phone in WDW and distract other guests. :shrug:

I know what you are talking about. I am an RN working on a Labor and Delivery unit. You wouldn't believe the number of people who will answer their phone and start discussing everything (including the weather...I kid you not) when I'm in the room discussing their plan of care with them. The first few times it happened I was shocked and just hung out until they got off the phone. At this point I usually just leave and wait till they ring their call bell to make me aware they are off the phone. I have other patients and always have something else I need to be doing.

It still amazes me. I'm the one who gets you your pain medication when needed. I'm the one who ensures the safety of you and your child. I may just have important information information that can effect your day :rolleyes:.

Now if someone answers a call..... and says the nurse is in the room and I'll call you back...... that don't bother me (too much) as they could be worried about emergencies. It also doesn't bother me when people use this excuse to get off the phone even when a nurse isn't in the room.

I know its not 1950, but I do think that answering and then holding a conversation at the table is rude.

:wave: Yea :wave:to the person who said that eventhough they have to answer calls due to work, they wouldn't do it on a ride / show. There still are some people out there with manners.

Anyone got a good way to politely (or sarcastically...... which ever the case calls for) to explain to an ignorant person that they are being rude? Any good stories?

BrittanyRose428

About explaining that its rude, I tried to at work once, but the customer was not happy with that and thought I was being rude. It was a middle aged man who had empty ink cartridges to recycle. At Staples when you recycle the empty cartridges using your rewards cards you get $2 for each one, but he was on the phone when he arrived at my register. I told him I'd be happy to help him as soon as he finished his phone call, (this was a long week of rude talking on the phone customers, so I figured I'd give it a shot) he ended up hanging up on whoever he was on the phone with and complaining to me for "not wanting to help him" so thats never going to happen again. He had 4 cartridges, it would have been a free $8 for him, but I can't explain how the program works when he is on the phone and blatantly ignoring me. Oh well, I tried... :shrug:

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I know what you are talking about. I am an RN working on a Labor and Delivery unit. You wouldn't believe the number of people who will answer their phone and start discussing everything (including the weather...I kid you not) when I'm in the room discussing their plan of care with them. The first few times it happened I was shocked and just hung out until they got off the phone. At this point I usually just leave and wait till they ring their call bell to make me aware they are off the phone. I have other patients and always have something else I need to be doing.

It still amazes me. I'm the one who gets you your pain medication when needed. I'm the one who ensures the safety of you and your child. I may just have important information information that can effect your day :rolleyes:.

Now if someone answers a call..... and says the nurse is in the room and I'll call you back...... that don't bother me (too much) as they could be worried about emergencies. It also doesn't bother me when people use this excuse to get off the phone even when a nurse isn't in the room.

I know its not 1950, but I do think that answering and then holding a conversation at the table is rude.

:wave: Yea :wave:to the person who said that eventhough they have to answer calls due to work, they wouldn't do it on a ride / show. There still are some people out there with manners.

Anyone got a good way to politely (or sarcastically...... which ever the case calls for) to explain to an ignorant person that they are being rude? Any good stories?

If its that important to answer the phone you leave the table and make it quick, if your in the labor unit the phones should be off no exceptions. Arrant all phones supposed to be off in a hospital for the patients safety and to prevent interference within the equipment?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
If its that important to answer the phone you leave the table and make it quick, if your in the labor unit the phones should be off no exceptions. Arrant all phones supposed to be off in a hospital for the patients safety and to prevent interference within the equipment?

And you obviously know that it isn't 1950 also. :D There are still a few people here with some manners. :wave:

Turn around and ask them for their number since they seem to love talking on the phone all of the time then maybe you can call them later once they are on the Haunted Mansion or something. ;)

If its that important to answer the phone you leave the table and make it quick, ...

No. I'll answer my call right there at the table. I don't like being on the phone so my calls are always very short. I'm not going to get up and walk to another room just to tell a prosecutor that the individual he has in court right then has permission to come to our program or no, he needs to violate his probation and send him to RDC. Now, if my mother calls, then no, that can wait.

Besides, even if I did have a conversation at the table what's it matter to you? I don't know you. I'm not talking to you. And I'm sure not talking so loudly that it can even be heard to others at nearby tables. Now, if I were to jump up on the table and start screaming into my phone waving a napkin over my head then I'd see your point. But how self centered does someone have to be to get upset over somebody using the phone at a table when they cannot even hear the person??

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I'm a firm believer that no cell phone call or text is so important that it can't wait until I'm somewhere I can deal with it appropriately. I will not answer my phone while at a restaurant. I will not answer during a ride [dark ride or not]. I will not text while on a ride or in a restaurant.

If it can't wait the few minutes it takes for me to be somewhere appropriate to deal with it, then whomever is calling/texting is incompetent or arrogant to the extreme. No-one and nothing is that important.

If my co-workers can't figure out what to do in a given situation, then it's my fault because I didn't train them well enough. What if I were to die? What would they do? They'd have to figure it out themselves or not. No single individual is so indispensable that they need to be at someone's beck and call constantly. If you think you're that important, you're seriously self-deluded. :rolleyes:

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
The only time it is okay to answer a text or phone call during a ride is in the case of an extreme emergency.

"I haven't talked to my girlfriend for 3 hours" is not an emergency phone call. That text or call can wait until you make it outside, or off the ride. There is no reason you need to negatively impact other peoples enjoyment because you want to answer a text or a phone call. It is insanely rude. I run a business, and my phone is basically constantly ringing, or binging with texts and e-mails. I have yet to be so rude as to answer any of these texts or calls while in an attraction. I realize I am part of a group effort to make the attraction as enjoyable as possible, and I am not willing to ruin it for myself or anyone else. Unfortunately, it seems many people are not on the same page as me.

We have a very basic problem in this country. Common courtesy is going out the window. People live in such a "me, me, me" bubble that they can not begin to think of how their actions are impacting others. It is quite sad.

I was on The Great Movie Ride in August when the lady beside me decided to answer her phone regarding a shirt on sale. I quickly began speaking loudly to my family until she got off. I got the evil eye; she received a smirk.

How was life lived for years without cell phones. I guess three minutes to get off of an attraction at Disney is a shopping/social life nuclear bomb nowadays.

I'm a firm believer that no cell phone call or text is so important that it can't wait until I'm somewhere I can deal with it appropriately. I will not answer my phone while at a restaurant. I will not answer during a ride [dark ride or not]. I will not text while on a ride or in a restaurant.

If it can't wait the few minutes it takes for me to be somewhere appropriate to deal with it, then whomever is calling/texting is incompetent or arrogant to the extreme. No-one and nothing is that important.

If my co-workers can't figure out what to do in a given situation, then it's my fault because I didn't train them well enough. What if I were to die? What would they do? They'd have to figure it out themselves or not. No single individual is so indispensable that they need to be at someone's beck and call constantly. If you think you're that important, you're seriously self-deluded. :rolleyes:

LOL :ROFLOL: Tell that to a judge or prosecutor. LOL Let me know how that works out for you. :rolleyes: Sorry, but there ARE phone calls that require you to answer them quickly. If I am on a dark ride then I will not answer it but if I am at a table and the phone rings then as long as it isn't some normal average phone call then I will take it, right there and any self righteous sanctimonious person that doesn't like it can leave. Thanks. :wave: I'm not bothering anyone by answering my phone and saying in a low tone "Yes, have him sentenced to us." or "No, he needs to complete his time in prison because he is inappropriate for our program." then hanging up. The fact that someone across the restaurant answering their phone annoys you frankly scares me. You sound like you'd like to do something drastic about them. You don't work for the post office do you?

I was on The Great Movie Ride in August when the lady beside me decided to answer her phone regarding a shirt on sale. I quickly began speaking loudly to my family until she got off. I got the evil eye; she received a smirk.

How was life lived for years without cell phones. I guess three minutes to get off of an attraction at Disney is a shopping/social life nuclear bomb nowadays.

I agree. The attractions take little time out of your day and the calls can usually wait the length of attractions. But as for sitting in a restaurant, that usually takes nearly an hour. If a person cannot wait the length of an attraction then they do not need to go on the attraction.

janoimagine

No single individual is so indispensable that they need to be at someone's beck and call constantly. If you think you're that important, you're seriously self-deluded. :rolleyes:

I agree with you completely, and I am a producer, and keep my phone with me and on at all times ... no one or no thing is so important that you have to drop everything and answer your phone right then and there. They will leave a message, and then you can call them back. People will understand.

I choked with laughter at the 1950's remark someone chose to use as an argument ... Seriously?!? ... 1950 or 2011, manners are manners and your delusional if you think what decade we live in has anything to do with it. :lol:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
LOL :ROFLOL: Tell that to a judge or prosecutor. LOL Let me know how that works out for you.
So what happens when the judge holds you in contempt after you take that phone call in his courtroom?

Oh, and I asked a judge. I just texted him. He said the call can wait 5 minutes.

Seriously. I have a cousin who's a judge.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
LOL :ROFLOL: Tell that to a judge or prosecutor. LOL Let me know how that works out for you. :rolleyes: Sorry, but there ARE phone calls that require you to answer them quickly. If I am on a dark ride then I will not answer it but if I am at a table and the phone rings then as long as it isn't some normal average phone call then I will take it, right there and any self righteous sanctimonious person that doesn't like it can leave. Thanks. :wave: I'm not bothering anyone by answering my phone and saying in a low tone "Yes, have him sentenced to us." or "No, he needs to complete his time in prison because he is inappropriate for our program." then hanging up. The fact that someone across the restaurant answering their phone annoys you frankly scares me. You sound like you'd like to do something drastic about them. You don't work for the post office do you?

That's like saying you are required to answer the phone while you're on the toilet. It isn't happening and nine times out of ten that takes longer than a ride.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

He didn't say that it annoys him when others answer their phone across a restaurant. He said that HE will not answer his phone in a restaurant, because he does not believe that he NEEDS to, and he does not WANT to. He actually expressed no view about whether it annoys him when others do it. Rather, he merely said that nobody should feel like they MUST answer their phone in such a situation.

I agree. The attractions take little time out of your day and the calls can usually wait the length of attractions. But as for sitting in a restaurant, that usually takes nearly an hour. If a person cannot wait the length of an attraction then they do not need to go on the attraction.

But what if the attraction is Ellen's Energy Adventure. That takes 37 minutes or so. Or at the Hoop-de-doo Revue? Or La Nouba? Those are much longer than an average meal, but it seems like it'd be inappropriate to answer the phone during those events. Or what about the Wild Africa Trek -- that's several hours and you can't even bring your phone. Are you saying you wouldn't go on the Wild Africa Trek, because there is always the possibility that you might get an important call from a judge or prosecutor that you'd have to take, but wouldn't be able to?

We all make decisions about what to do keeping in mind the possibility that someone, somewhere, might try to get ahold of us in the meantime. I have skipped rides, meals, parades and other things while at WDW because I was expecting a call that I thought was very important. I have also taken calls in restaurants because the identity of the caller suggested some immediately importance. But I have done that knowing that I might annoy somebody, not believing that nobody had a right to be annoyed.

That Monty chooses not to make himself available in those situations seems like a valid choice. It also has the benefit of never putting Monty in a position to possibly be a Ride (Show, Meal) Ruiner. Your choice keeps you from being a Ride Ruiner, but leaves open the possibility of being a Meal Ruiner. That's a choice you've made. That your call actually IS important doesn't eliminate the possibilty that taking it will annoy somebody you are eating with, or somebody at the next table, or the server that has to get out of your way as you try to find a quiet place.

I have also missed important calls that came in unexpectedly while I was on a ride, in a pool, at a show, eating a meal, etc. And the people on the other end understood -- I had not promised to be available, and I didn't make myself available. As Monty notes, as important as I think I am, it turns out that when others try to reach me to help with a problem and cannot do so immediately, they either wait or find another way to deal with things. And life goes on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom