Ride Advice

zurgandfriend

Why not start slow with the Barnstormer or Big Thunder Mountain and see how you do. if you enjoy those try the others, if you get sick stop and do something else.

Upvote 0

WDWmazprty

Hey Guys,

1 more day until we leave on Thursday for the WL for a nice week! Anyways, I am a sissy when it comes to roller coasters...never liked them. However, I have been told by family that I should try to go on them (i.e. tower of terror, everest) and was just wondering what you guys thought? I would love to go on Everest, etc, but I am afraid of getting sick. But boy, it would be nice to say I have been on Tower of Terror.

Also, i'll be broadcasting live from Disney on Bay Lake later in the week from my droid and my ustream app...

Thanks,
Jeff

Well, if its a case of you getting sick; maybe try not to eat anything before you go on. Im not sure the extent of what happens to you if you do get sick.

If its just you think you wont like it, just try it. At least you'll know for sure if you don't. But if you do happen to like it; congrats! You just found something new you can enjoy at the parks from now on.

Upvote 0

foreverbelle

From my perspective, and please take it for what it is as my opinion you shouldn't feel pressured into riding something you are not comfortable with. My sisters made my mom go on Soarin-she hates heights and coasters-because they thought she would have a good time if she just got on it. She ended up hating it and cries every time she thinks about it. So please don't feel obligated to go on a ride just because someone thinks they want you to go on it. Disney has a ton of options for those that don't like the thrill rides.

That being said.

Should you want to try a roller coaster out I would say start small. If your concerned with getting sick, thats one thing, my dad gets sick on coasters but can ride Space Mountain because its in the dark...Have you ridden Splash before? If so the drop is pretty significant and there are a lot of coasters with drops a lot less step than that. I would say try maybe BTMRR which has speed and a lot of turns but not a lot of huge drops if you like it go from there.

And you are right about saying you did it. But don't feel the need to do it just to please everyone else.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Hey Guys,

1 more day until we leave on Thursday for the WL for a nice week! Anyways, I am a sissy when it comes to roller coasters...never liked them. However, I have been told by family that I should try to go on them (i.e. tower of terror, everest) and was just wondering what you guys thought? I would love to go on Everest, etc, but I am afraid of getting sick. But boy, it would be nice to say I have been on Tower of Terror.

Also, i'll be broadcasting live from Disney on Bay Lake later in the week from my droid and my ustream app...

Thanks,
Jeff

It depends on why you don't like them. If it is a phobia issue, then you really shouldn't get sick unless you get yourself worked up over them. But if it is a physical issue, I.E. motion sickness, then you may be ok with meds.

ToT and E:E are really two different rides altogether. They are both thrill rides, but E:E is a coaster, and ToT is a freefall. Some people are fine on one type of ride but not the other. If you want to try coasters, as a PP suggested, try the Barnstormer, and then BTMRR. If you can do those, then you can probablly do E:E. As another PP said, can you do the drop at SM? That is the only thing on property that is even remotely close to the freefall in ToT.

Only you know the limitations of your dislike. No one else can make the call as to whether you can truly do the ride or not. If you think you can do it, not get sick, hate it, but still enjoy the rest of the park, then go for it. You may find a new favorite. But if you think you may do it, and then hate the park/WDW because it ruined your day/trip, then its not worth it.

Upvote 0

WDWmazprty

Thanks for the advice guys. I have never actually gotten sick on a ride before, but I work myself up about going on scary rides and make myself crazy.

I loved Soarin!

Another thing, I have a whole lanyard of pins from 06', am I supposed to wear them in the park?

Also, is the ToT really scary?

Nah, not scary, it gets me more excited than anything. For a smaller child it might be actually scary. But the ride is really cool with all its effects.

Upvote 0

jsteph

Start small. We went 6 years ago, and my brother's wife ( haha, no proofreading) was deathly afraid of coasters. We talked her into BTMRR and before we knew it, she was riding RRC 3 times.

Me, I love coasters afraid of heights. So the chug up to the top of each hill scares the daylights out of me. But I laugh after the drop the rest of the way through. So my first time on EE I was like omg we are way up here. But by the 5th time same day, my daughter who was 5 last year loves coasters, and it was not crowded that day I was like this is a nice view.

Start small, go from there.

Upvote 0

Xethis

I know my wife isn't the biggest roller coaster fan in the world, but she explained to me that Tower of Terror is no problem for her. She says, for her that is, that roller coasters make her queasy because of the speed + motion + twists & turns + inversions, etc. She told me the simple dropping motion of the Tower of Terror makes it much easier for her to enjoy a thrill ride without it being an actual roller coaster. Hope that helps some.

Upvote 0

zurgandfriend

Concerning some of the OP's other posts.

1. Pins It’s totally up to you but... If it were me I would not wear a lanyard of pins and carry all that weight around, again totally your choice.

2. Help me here guys but, if I remember correctly Space Mountain isn't an inversion coaster, unless it’s changed since the refurbishment. It was closed last year when we visited.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Is Space Mountain bad? Meaning, does it go upside down, or any crazy moves..

Not really. The only ride that goes upside down is RnRR. SM is usually problematic due to the dark and the tight confined space the ride is in. It's alot more smaller shorter movements. It may seem a bit jerky as you finish going in one direction and it yanks you the other way. The track is very tight. It still follows (I believe) the track from when it opened. Most crazy loops and stuff are fairly recent inventions that require a lot of space to be laid out.

Upvote 0

JillC LI

I've decided to start small and work my way up. I'm really pumped to try to ride the big dogs in WDW, and the Tower of Terror tops my list. I'm just a sucker for heights...

Is Space Mountain bad? Meaning, does it go upside down, or any crazy moves..

From a fellow thrill-ride-scaredy cat, here's my 2 cents. I had been on a roller coaster once when I was about 20 and was so terrified by the huge drops that I didn't try another coaster for almost 20 years. But I really wanted to try the rides my hubby and kids were enjoying at WDW. So I started small a few years ago. On the first trip, I tried Test Track and loved it. On my next trip I tried BTMRR and Splash Mtn. I was fine on BTMRR. I didn't like the drop at the end of Splash, but there was only one and it was over so quickly, that I didn't mind riding it again to enjoy the rest of it. And then, I was talked into trying RnRC. I was petrified, but my family assured me that it was very smooth with no drops, just some swerves but no real loops. I was nearly in tears as I got into the car, and you know what.....I Loved it! Space Mtn was closed when we were there last, but that is on my plan-to-try list when we go next March. I am told that there are some small drops (no upside-down loops) but the real thrill factor is that it is in the dark so you can't see them coming. I have no intention of trying EE because of the drops, and same for ToT. I know my limits. Bottom line, start small, and work up to what you're comfortable with. :wave:

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

Another thing, I have a whole lanyard of pins from 06', am I supposed to wear them in the park?

Completely up to you. People wear pins to trade them, or just show them off. Most in park trading is usually done with CM's, and for those you can just pull out a trader pin to swap. The only time you would need to actually show your pins is if you are trading with another guest. Most people do recommend not wearing any pins that have special meaning as they can fall off. And usually if they do wear them they will look into getting the locking pin backs to help prevent that.

Upvote 0

wdwwdeagle

one bit of advice:
contrary to most coasters, BTMRR is actually a much slower, smoother ride if you ride close to the front. Ask the CM who sorts everyone into their cars if you can ride in one of the first couple of cars. It will be a milder ride for you, plus you can see what's coming. Enjoy!

Upvote 0

zurgandfriend

To get to the Grand Floridian from the WL;

Take the boat to the Contemporary then Monorail to the GF.

Or take the boat to the Magic Kingdom then Monorail to the GF.

Or Take the bus to the MK then Monorail to GF.

Or if running late you might want to just take a cab.

If you miss out on the 1900 Park fare all together try for Whispering Canyon. If they are both out of the question my families fall back is Cosmic Rays in tomorrow land.

I don't know your travel schedule or stamina if it was me I would choose either Magic Kingdom or Epcot and only do one park the first night. Again if it were me staying at the WL I would choose MK and Wishes what better way to get into the Disney spirit than the Magic Kingdom.

Whatever you choose have a great trip!

Upvote 0

Tybee

Hi Jeff,

I know where you're coming from. I grew up 20 mins from Six Flags Over Georgia and I was terrified of roller coasters as a kid. By the time I got over my fear of them, I was prone to nausea and despite my best efforts, would blow chunks every time I got off most of the looping coasters.

But that's why I love WDW/DL, because I've yet to find a ride there I can't handle and I love them all. Disney designs great coasters that are much smoother than the other park chains. The only rides that ever gave me a slight problem were the simulator-based Star Tours and the now defunct Body Wars, but even those were manageable. That said, I haven't been on Mission to Mars yet because it wasn't completed during my last trip in 2002, but I fully expect I'll love it, possibly with the aid of some Dramamine. :animwink:

The advice here is excellent. Start with Big Thunder Mountain and move on from there. Moreover, don't psych yourself out. Give the rides a chance and you may be surprised how much you like them (even Space Mountain and Rock N Rollercoaster!)

Upvote 0

Goodtimes

You are already overthinking all of this. If you really want to ride Tower of Terror, ride it. It's a fantastic experience--and not a very long one.
If you don't like it, it'll be over in a matter of seconds. You can survive more than you think. We don't have tons of time in this life--don't waste it worrying about a controlled, safe experience!
Have fun!

Upvote 0

me_stitch

Premium Member
I love coasters, haven't found one yet that I wouldn't try. that said, EE and RnRC are two of the smoothest coasters you will ever ride. EE's big drop isn't even that big, it's not like most coasters where you go up the huge hill and then drop 100 ft over the other side, it's really scenic and well themed. RnRC has a couple of loops but again, a really smooth coaster, sit towards the front if you think the loops might bother you, it too is pretty dark inside so I think you'll be ok. ToT, I normally don't like rides that just do a big freefall and nothing else but ToT is probably my favorite ride at Disney.

Upvote 0

dixiegirl

Why not start slow with the Barnstormer or Big Thunder Mountain and see how you do. if you enjoy those try the others, if you get sick stop and do something else.

Definatly good Advice!! Never realized how much fun Barnstormer was until we rode it after with our kids, before then we never thought to ride it ( we thought it was just a kiddie ride)....God we were wrong to wait !!! And if yo get in the front...Oh its fun!

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

Try Rock N' Roller Coaster...it goes so fast that you don't even notice you're on a roller coaster! :eek:
I was apprehensive about trying RNRC, but now it is one of my fav rides at WDW! :wave:

Upvote 0

WDW_Emily

Completely up to you. People wear pins to trade them, or just show them off. Most in park trading is usually done with CM's, and for those you can just pull out a trader pin to swap. The only time you would need to actually show your pins is if you are trading with another guest. Most people do recommend not wearing any pins that have special meaning as they can fall off. And usually if they do wear them they will look into getting the locking pin backs to help prevent that.

yeah any pins that don't have good backs or have special meaning to you dont wear them in the parks. I lost one of mine on dinosaur last year and didn't notice until I was in the shop after:(

As for rides, my sister has a hard time with the bigger one. It takes a lot of convincing to get her on anything. she always loves it when she gets off though. This year before we went she made a goal to do all three mountains for the first time. so she watched youtube videos before going so she could see what the ride does. She ended up going on Splash Mountain and BTMRR with no problem but she got halfway through the space mountain queue and decided to sit that one out because of the darkness. Start small Personally I think barnstormer and BTMRR are good to start with

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom