Rich Ross Resigns

Gregoryp73

Avengers actually opened to $207m. That is crazy.

Crazy Beautiful :)

If it holds up a 60% retention it will be at 330 by sunday, or 300 with a 50% drop off.

It made more in a weekend Domestically than Captain america or Tron Legacy in each of their own domestic runs.

Paramount got 117 mil, Pay-TV rights, and 8% of profits to walk away from distribution for any Avengers movies or Iron Man 3...(they did get to keep their name in the beginning though). I think this was a good move for Disney and I would bet that they will add elements of Marvel at their west-coast and overseas properties.

I wonder if Uni has to run by any new marvel stuff by Disney to get an ok?

RSoxNo1

As we bring this back to the parks, I wonder if it would be possible for Disney to re-acquire The Avengers marvel properties back from Universal while still leaving Spiderman and the XMen characters. In theory this would just mean a re-theming of The Hulk coaster.

captainkidd

Uh most people did

Maybe YOU did in your infinite wisdom. No Hollywood analysts predicted a $200 million opening. From boxofficemojo.com:

It's been clear for a while that The Avengers would be a box office success, though few people could have foreseen this opening.

And not to rain on your comic book hero parade, but there was a movie this year that sold more tickets in it's opening weekend.

Maerj

I'd like to re-watch Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Hulk (only the second one), Thor and Captain America before seeing Avengers in the theater again. It was a great experience and would love to see it in the theater again. Congrats to everyone involved in this movie.

Gregoryp73

Maybe YOU did in your infinite wisdom. No Hollywood analysts predicted a $200 million opening. From boxofficemojo.com:

It's been clear for a while that The Avengers would be a box office success, though few people could have foreseen this opening.

And not to rain on your comic book hero parade, but there was a movie this year that sold more tickets in it's opening weekend.

I have to agree here...typically anyone rooting for a movie will have overly high box office expectations. This is just one case where the results matched. I thought it would do 170+ in it's first weekend...207 is amazing!

I was hoping for 450+ domestic and 750+ Foreign...but now if it does less than 500 domestic, and 900 foreign I'll be very surprised. We don't even have numbers from China yet, and Japan doesn't break for months.

NoChesterHester

As we bring this back to the parks, I wonder if it would be possible for Disney to re-acquire The Avengers marvel properties back from Universal while still leaving Spiderman and the XMen characters. In theory this would just mean a re-theming of The Hulk coaster.

I've been wondering the same thing. They have the obvious hit franchise IP under their umbrella and they have to be dying to maximize the return. If I were Universal however I would take an absolutely not attitude. Why give Disney the rights back, no matter how much they pay, if it is guaranteed to give the giant some momentum back?

captainkidd

I have to agree here...typically anyone rooting for a movie will have overly high box office expectations. This is just one case where the results matched. I thought it would do 170+ in it's first weekend...207 is amazing!

I was hoping for 450+ domestic and 750+ Foreign...but now if it does less than 500 domestic, and 900 foreign I'll be very surprised. We don't even have numbers from China yet, and Japan doesn't break for months.

I think $400million is a no brainer. $500million might be tough to do. No matter how good the movie is, very few films have the type of legs that can sustain that type of success. I would have never guessed $200million for an opening, but unless this plays out like Titanic or Avatar, it will do what most movies of the genre do, which is make their bulk up front in the first 2 weeks. Of course, considering it will be way past $300million by weeks end, who knows?

I find box office fascinating, as I've stated before. But honestly, until it affects me financially, I don't care if a movie is successful one way or the other.

captainkidd

I've been wondering the same thing. They have the obvious hit franchise IP under their umbrella and they have to be dying to maximize the return. If I were Universal however I would take an absolutely not attitude. Why give Disney the rights back, no matter how much they pay, if it is guaranteed to give the giant some momentum back?

They won't.

Gregoryp73

Who knows, with the success of Transformers at Uni Hollywood...they may have to put together a sci-fi land to take over marvel island in florida. Most likely nothing in the near future seeing that Spidey was just updated. But I'm sure if Disney ponied up some dough, they would get it done.

Captain Neo

Screw the analysts just go back and read the last few pages of this thread where people were saying this movie is going to be huge and laughing at people who were skeptical if it would even do well.

captainkidd

Screw the analysts just go back and read the last few pages of this thread where people were saying this movie is going to be huge and laughing at people who were skeptical if it would even do well.

I still haven't seen anyone denying the movie would be huge. And if they didn't think so, who the heck cares? Sorry man, I don't get any pleasure by rubbing in people's faces that they were wrong, especially with something as insignificant as box office receipts for a movie.

WDWmazprty

picture.php

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Over 207 Million now!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom