Rich Ross Resigns

DisneyMusician2

It is hard to green light one of the biggest flops in history and hold on to your job.

Disney Pictures seems to be a revolving door, any idea who might be able to be successful in that role?

Ignohippo

He needed to go. Nearly every Disney movie during his tenure has underperformed, and he hasn't created a single franchise, even though he had properties with amazing upside (Tron, The Muppets, John Carter).

Iger never should have ousted Cook. I still think it's a shame Prince Of Persia and The Sorcerer's Apprentice underperformed and weren't given sequels. I thought both were much better than they appeared from the marketing.

I'm also curious why Enchanted was never given a sequel.

The next heads to roll will be in the Marketing Department...

Ignohippo

Ooooh! I wonder if this means The Avengers sucks too! After all, it was just screened a couple of days ago. He may have seen it and realized he'd have 2 flops in a row. If it was great, I can't imagine he wouldn't hope he could save his job.

Hopefully, this will mean Marvel can finally have some consistency with directors now.

WDWmazprty

Ooooh! I wonder if this means The Avengers sucks too! After all, it was just screened a couple of days ago. He may have seen it and realized he'd have 2 flops in a row. If it was great, I can't imagine he wouldn't hope he could save his job.

Hopefully, this will mean Marvel can finally have some consistency with directors now.

I think The Avengers may be the exception; from everything we've seen it looks pretty good. Plus, its been getting great early reviews.

Ignohippo

I think The Avengers may be the exception; from everything we've seen it looks pretty good. Plus, its been getting great early reviews.

Yeah, I just went over to RottenTomatoes and saw the critic reviews. They are unanimously incredibly positive.

You'd think a big box office success of The Avengers would have saved him.

I'm not a big fan of Ross, but the recent underperformance of the Studios falls squarely on the Marketing Department.

Brian_WDW74

It is hard to green light one of the biggest flops in history and hold on to your job.

Disney Pictures seems to be a revolving door, any idea who might be able to be successful in that role?

I honestly don't see how anyone could be successful in the role nowadays. With Iger's strategy of releasing fewer movies each year and relying more on tentpole/franchise pictures, there's just too much pressure on each individual film to be a huge hit.

There's a great quote from Walt where he says that he doesn't worry too much about a movie being a success because he always has a new one in the works that might be a hit. I wish I could find it now...

lebeau

Yeah, I just went over to RottenTomatoes and saw the critic reviews. They are unanimously incredibly positive.

I'm not a big fan of Ross, but the recent underperformance of the Studios falls squarely on the Marketing Department.

He can't take credit for it. Paramont made the movie.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Politics...

Avengers is going to be a monster success. TWDC was already done with Ross, ousting him now gives whoever takes over a huge head start.

It was time for him to go though, he has been a disaster.

Lee

Adventurer
Ooooh! I wonder if this means The Avengers sucks too! After all, it was just screened a couple of days ago. He may have seen it and realized he'd have 2 flops in a row.

No, nothing to do with Avengers.
Disney is distributing the film, which I'm hearing is quite good, but had little to nothing to do with the making of it.

DCLcruiser

John Carter was/is a great movie with tons of sequel potential. It was very entertaining. The general public was just never properly introduced to the characters or enticed to see the movie.

Go see John Carter before you judge the movie.

RunnerEd

I'm glad he's gone. To me, the failure wasn't really the films themselves, it was the lack of marketing for them. Sorcerers Apprentice, Prince of Persia, Tangled, and John Carter were (to me anyway), great movies. Other than Tangled, these great films basically had no marketing prior to release. I actually thought John Carter was better than Hunger Games but most people had never heard of it. I agree with an above poster; the marketing department should be next out the door!

Lee

Adventurer
I thought Marvel Pictures made it and Paramount is just distributing it? :shrug:
Kinda...
Marvel is more of a production company. They don't actually have a studio, so they make/distribute their films in conjunction with real studios (going forward with Disney, naturally).

Ignohippo

I'm glad he's gone. To me, the failure wasn't really the films themselves, it was the lack of marketing for them. Sorcerers Apprentice, Prince of Persia, Tangled, and John Carter were (to me anyway), great movies. Other than Tangled, these great films basically had no marketing prior to release. I actually thought John Carter was better than Hunger Games but most people had never heard of it. I agree with an above poster; the marketing department should be next out the door!

Agreed 100%. Prince Of Persia, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, and Enchanted were all Cook though.

With PoP and TSA, I think we saw the very first inklings that the Marketing Department had serious issues. Those movies were much better than their box office showed.

It's a shame that Clash Of The Titans can get a sequel at another company, yet Prince Of Persia and The Sorcerer's Apprentice were left to languish under Ross (and a studio desperate for franchises).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom