Rich/poor class division in Disney

NormC

Starbucks is delicious. They have many blends. If you find one bitter try another. Pike Place is one of their worst in my opinion but they sell a lot of it. I like Cafe Verona and Komodo. Sumatra is good as well.

blueboxdoctor

Honestly, I don't see many of the premium spots to be that great. At least in the MK there are so many places to see the fireworks that it's hard to find a really bad view (even behind the castle is pretty cool). EPCOT this may be nice since you won't have to get stuck behind a tree, but when I went last December it was so cold that we had many spots to choose from since nobody was there, but during any warmer time it would probably be a little inconvenient not to have the better view (though, it's so big there that I'm sure you can always find at least a decent view).

jakeman

Starbucks is delicious. They have many blends. If you find one bitter try another. Pike Place is one of their worst in my opinion but they sell a lot of it. I like Cafe Verona and Komodo. Sumatra is good as well.
I like Pike Place...I find their House Blend rather charred tasting though. Sumatra is one of our favorite. Their single source stuff is very good as well.

Weather_Lady

I think we need to keep in mind that given the cost it takes just to go to Disney, every one of us who visits is "rich" by the standards the rest of the world uses. Also, I would argue that regardless of how much you spend, your Disney vacation's "potential for magic" is still equal with all other Disney guests. I feel like my family, which strives to visit Disney for the least amount of money possible, has far more fun than most of those who spend far more.

Disney has always been chock-full of "costs extra" experiences -- boat rentals, special tours, photography, salon treatments, dinner theater (e.g., Hoop-de-Doo), drink carts, souvenirs, etc. While nowadays there are more "parties" on offer, and the visibility of those parties makes Disney's nickel-and-diming of guests far more visible than it used to be, I don't think they create a rich-poor divide, any more than having ridiculously expensive restaurants in full view (when some guests, like my parents when I was growing up, bring their own bologna sandwiches because they simply can't afford to eat on Disney property) does. Nobody (except for maybe the dearly-departed Katiebug) believes that you can buy a ticket to the Magic Kingdom, waltz into Cinderella Castle and ask to be styled into a princess (or have dinner with one) for no extra charge. Premium things cost a premium, whether it's ordering a steak instead of a burger, or wanting to sit down and eat dessert while watching fireworks, instead of standing in a crowd.

Nor does one's willingness to spend extra money at Disney necessarily correspond with their personal wealth. As I've learned reading these boards, there are guests who have a very modest income, but who are willing to scrimp and save in order to splurge on deluxe hotels, signature dining, VIP tours, seasonal parties, etc. when they visit Disney, because it's worth it to them. In contrast, my family, notwithstanding a six-figure income, would feel like it was an outrageous waste of money to invest in many of those things. Everybody does Disney differently, and has a different idea about what is a reasonable cost while they are there. Nobody should feel badly that they spent more or less than others on "costs extra" options, and I don't think that by offering those options, Disney is fanning the flames of income inequality.

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

I have no problem with extra experiences for extra cost.

If it goes too far it would be a problem. If all of World Showcase was roped off into one big dessert party I'd be the first to complain, but as long as the general experience is the same for everyone, I'm not concerned.

As others have pointed out, there will always be different experiences for different price points. It's nothing new. The Grand Floridian is outside my budget range, but I don't stress out as my bus from a lowly moderate resort passes by the elite Monorail guests. On the bright side, I can turn my nose up at the value resort rabble ;).

French Quarter

Consider my part of that "poor class"... Technically middle class, can't afford much more than the poor class can these days.

I'll be taking my friends to stay at a value resort (We were debating those lovely $79 per night camp sites.. But July just seems too hot for that), with ONE dining reservation, bags of ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch and dinner every other night, and maybe one mickey mouse plush toy for all 4 of us to share.

You are going to Walt Disney World. That does not make you poor. Poor is the 50 year old salesperson who waited on us in at a Walmart in Georgia about 2 hours from the Florida border who had never been to Florida (let alone Disney World) in her life but she hoped to save enough gas money just to cross the state line to show her children what Florida was some day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom