Rich/poor class division in Disney

POLY LOVER

Disney does its best to appeal to all price levels now, but if they do as some suggest make ticket prices $300.00 a day to thin the heards then they will be appealing to the wealthy only. Crazy idea that will never happen.

My husband rented the boat to watch the fireworks for my 40th birthday. It was great!
My moms 65th is Dec 18th, we're going to Disney (GFloMainBldg) for a week, Jan 18th...the boat has crossed my mind a lot. I purposely chose to not make reservations Wednesday night, just in case. Still some more time to think on it....

WWWD

Capitalism..... As long as people are willing to pay, Disney will find something to sell. Hey, if you have the money to spend, enjoy that private event. Now, if you are buying it because you think you deserve it and at the same time hope retirement and bills will just work themselves out, good luck with that. Just because Disney is selling it, doesn't mean I'm buying. Well, OK, I buy way too much of what Disney is selling.

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
As I've already seen a few people mention, the paid roped off locations aren't simply for firework viewing. They're dessert parties that feature various dessert options, wine, champagne, etc. I don't think Disney is wrong for charging extra for exclusives like this, because if they didn't charge extra then everyone would try to be in that space and everyone would be consuming refreshments for free.
Disney gives priority seating for fastpass+ as well, though personally (at least for Wishes) I wouldn't want to go to a dessert party or have a fastpass because I personally think the best seats are directly in the middle of Main Street by Partners statue (but of course, that's just my opinion).
But, essentially, I think saying that Disney shouldn't offer a fireworks dessert party because some people can't afford it would be the same idea as saying that they shouldn't offer character meals because some people can't afford it. It's an extra experience that is meant to add magic to a vacation, not take magic away from someone else's.

Animaniac93-98

In Walt's day the best rides in Disneyland cost more than the others. Don't have enough cash for another E-ticket? Enjoy the carousel.

The hospitality and tourism sector (which includes theme park resorts) is pretty much built on the idea of varying experiences based on price. Questioning the value of WDW experiences is a valid debate, but you can't criticize Disney just for offering luxury items like deluxe resorts or souvenirs at different price points.

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Consider my part of that "poor class"... Technically middle class, can't afford much more than the poor class can these days.

I'll be taking my friends to stay at a value resort (We were debating those lovely $79 per night camp sites.. But July just seems too hot for that), with ONE dining reservation, bags of ham and cheese sandwiches for lunch and dinner every other night, and maybe one mickey mouse plush toy for all 4 of us to share.

shipley731

My moms 65th is Dec 18th, we're going to Disney (GFloMainBldg) for a week, Jan 18th...the boat has crossed my mind a lot. I purposely chose to not make reservations Wednesday night, just in case. Still some more time to think on it....
The pontoon boats they use for these fit up to 10 people. If you have 10 folks on the boat, the per person price really isn't that bad. There were 7 of us when we did this. It included sodas, bottled waters & chips. Other items were available for a cost if you wanted & needed to be arranged ahead of time. We also tipped our boat driver; she was great, but I can't remember her name. It's definitely not something I would do all the time, but for a special occasion, it's nice. Hope your Mom has a lovely birthday!

The pontoon boats they use for these fit up to 10 people. If you have 10 folks on the boat, the per person price really isn't that bad. There were 7 of us when we did this. It included sodas, bottled waters & chips. Other items were available for a cost if you wanted & needed to be arranged ahead of time. We also tipped our boat driver; she was great, but I can't remember her name. It's definitely not something I would do all the time, but for a special occasion, it's nice. Hope your Mom has a lovely birthday!
Thanks! I'll keep it in mind. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom