Rich/poor class division in Disney

Chef Mickey

She was pretty darn poor. A single mom working multiple low paying jobs with kids who had barely left their town. Just because you have a car doesn't mean you are rich. With lack of proper public transportstion in parts of North America, a car becomes a necessity for some working people. Many are willing to give up housing in favour of a car. There will always be someone worse off than you but that doesn't mean you aren't poor.
Food is a necessity too and there are many people worldwide without enough food. Forget clean water too.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I know Disney excels in separating us from our money. I was just surprised that a CM so readily admitted it to a guest. The restaurant was packed. And our ADR was at 10:30.
We were recently talking with a CM about our APs. We had decided to go with the Gold for this time around, but wanted to be sure we could upgrade next year to the premium if needed. She stated that Disney is always willing to take more of our money. I loved it! She was very honest, and we found that we have a lot in common as we chatted. Very refreshing!!

KikoKea

You know, I'm hoping Disney makes a big ton o' money on all those special 'rich people' activities and pours it all back into making the parks better.

Chef Mickey

Could we not play misery poker, here? Poverty, no matter the level, is bad. If we start playing, "Well, Person B has it worse than Person A", then we start to think of Person A's bad position as acceptable.
I pretty much don't feel sorry for anyone's economic situation in America.

Chef Mickey

Wow. What a font of empathy, you are. And just in time for the holidays.
One can only have so many empathy points and seeing the state of places worldwide makes you realize those points are generally wasted in America.

Do some people here have it tough? Sure, but we have a million government assistance programs and a proper infrastructure to help those people. Do some people suffer in spite of this? Sure.

I'm just telling you there are places I've seen first had that have no running water, no plumbing, and almost no food. They don't even know what a government program is and their governments don't care one iota about their struggle.

Matt_Black

One can only have so many empathy points and seeing the state of places worldwide makes you realize those points are generally wasted in America.

Do some people here have it tough? Sure, but we have a million government assistance programs and a proper infrastructure to help those people. Do some people suffer in spite of this? Sure.

I'm just telling you there are places I've seen first had that have no running water, no plumbing, and almost no food. They don't even know what a government program is and their governments don't care one iota about their struggle.

THIS. This is exactly what I was talking about with the "misery poker".

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

I would like to state that there are still places in the US that have no running water, no plumbing and almost no food.

Chef Mickey

I would like to state that there are still places in the US that have no running water, no plumbing and almost no food.
Definitely the exception. There are MANY more places and people suffering from a lack of BASIC infrastructure around the world. And again, we have a million social programs to address people in poverty in this country. You think Nepal has food stamps, Medicaid, and WIC?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
So we've been talking in terms of relative poverty verses absolute poverty, but then again you've got problems with how you define even relative poverty. The US Department of Agriculture's official poverty line is based on the cost of their "economy food plan" multiplied by three as they say its typical to spend 1/3 of your income on food. It is solely based on income, not assets.

jloucks

Wait. What? Disney is the ideal place for premium options. Airlines have first class seats, Hotels have fancy rooms, Cars have luxury brands. What do all of these things have in common? They are luxury goods! Nobody has to have them. Anybody that wants to have them, can pay extra for them if they want.

Disney is the same exact thing. It is actually the perfect scenario/location for premium pricing. There needs to be much more premium pricing options in my opinion. In my case (fire up the waambulance) I get so very little time off that it makes my discretionary time extremely valuable. I don't mind paying double or triple to avoid sharing it with others or for a premium experience.

Semi-random side note: Vegas, when seeing shows, just pay for rows 1-10. It is about 2.5x the price and you get an experience 4x as awesome as everybody else. Do it. $200 seats are worth every penny. ...unless you go to vegas several times a year. All of my advice is really just for people who don't get out much.

And need I point out the spectacular hypocrisy surrounding the anti-premium Disney argument? If you are actually at Disney, you are already enjoying an elite product most people on earth cannot enjoy. Somewhere about 4 billion people are thinking of you like you are thinking of the 'rich' people paying extra for premium seats, tickets, passes, hotels, etc. If you go to WDW, you are rich by global standards. Congrats! :D

Going to plug my extremely unpopular idea again... brace....:devilish:

Disney needs to have 3x price weeks during the year so that those who prefer smaller crowds can pay to enjoy the experience more. :cautious:

jloucks

...often by choice. You can spend $250,000 on a cabin in Alaska that falls into some of these categories.
I've seen poor. People living in mud huts hours away from any town in the middle of the desert.. It could have been a thousand years ago easily.

Yea, travel abroad was a real eye opener for me. The wealth/poverty some nations have is.... awkward. (I retyped that sentence about 6 times, still not happy with it)

Again, anybody that goes to WDW is 'rich'. Period. ....or really really bad with credit cards. The argument is really just who is richer than who.

dizda

WDW has always catered to people with different income levels and always will. That being said, almost nobody paying for a trip to WDW is poor by any generally recognized standard. Perhaps it is bad show for Disney to let the difference in experiences that can be purchased be more obvious than it may have been in the past, but I do not even think that is what has happened. I think that people have just gotten more sensitive about "keeping up with the Joneses" or not being able to "keep up" in the last few years. That is not Disney's fault.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom