Resort Refillable Mug Bar Codes???!!???

dannysbelle

Ok....I've heard a bazillion rumors about the resorts putting bar codes on new refillable mugs so they are only good for length of stay. I'm going next week and really hadn't planned on spending the money again, but if I have to, I guess I will. Anyone hear any TRUTH to this or been to an AS resort in the last week and can give a truthful update?:brick: All I've read has people all frustrated over this, but no one seems to know the actual story on it. Thanks!

db

Originally posted by DisneyInsider
If they go to a system like this, then they really can't charge by the mugs they would have to charge by how long your stay is. If I am staying at a resort for three days, I don't think I should have to pay the same price as someone staying for nine days. It wouldn't be fair to the person staying at the resort the shorter length of time.

Truthfully I don't see a system like this happening. The refillable mug system will probably stay the same as it is now.

Suppose that the mug were part of a "package"? That way, they (Disney) can track the mugs on a per-stay basis much more easily. Also, they can adjust the cost to the actual length of stay.
Hmmm. Getting your mug at checkin isn't that bad an option. We are already in line, we don't have to stand in line again to get the mug.

Upvote 0

McArcDes

So you gotta buy one at MK, one at Epcot, and so on, or one from one park is good for all?

As far as I know the only places you can buy refillable mugs is at the resorts and the water parks. I have never seen any available at any of the main parks or Downtown Disney.

I did put forth the idea that refillable mugs you could use any where in WDW would be great but that was just my idea and not a real thing. We can all hope though.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

The mugs are good resorts only, I think you can buy a water park one to use there as well..they sort of work like Universal Studios....which in my opinion drink wise has a good system ...you pay $10 for a large plastic cup with a lid/straw then they give you a ticket..you get free refills all day long...if you go back another day the refills are $2.50 but this is a large cup..holds probably 20-24oz soda. Compared to prices we paid inside WDW parks we came out cheaper at US for drinks..
we used our mugs for coffee, cocoa, hot tea, to make iced tea, and the sodas....

Upvote 0

Tramp

I just saw an ad for 'Holiday Park' in Indiana....free unlimited soft drinks all day long, every day....and free parking too....

...how do they manage to do that?

Upvote 0

Parker

I think if this is real, its probably the stupidest idea Disney has thought up. That is aside from guests paying a separate fee to use Disney transportation, but thats another story.

1. If the bar code is charged at the counter, how will the counter scanner know how long you are staying? Will it require more equipment at the registers also?

2) The scanner at the drink machine makes more sense, but it could still be violated unless you have a CM monitoring the situation. I've seen people filling up with mugs from different resorts and even different parks and no one says a thing to them. Would they then say something to someone filling up a new style mug and dumping it into an older mug?

3) How would sister resorts work? They'd have to be on the same system and if they are, why not offer one mug that is good at all resorts but expires after one year of purchase.

4) How would normal drink cups work? Will they have a one time scan bar on them also?

I honestly don't think it will work or will be put into practice.

Upvote 0

Erika

Originally posted by Parker
I think if this is real, its probably the stupidest idea Disney has thought up. That is aside from guests paying a separate fee to use Disney transportation, but thats another story.

When did THAT happen??? :eek:

Upvote 0

Talsonic

Account Suspended
Re: Re: I agree!

Originally posted by illuminations25

Because that's part of the deal as being "the exclusive soft-drink of Walt Disney World." All Coke, and Coke product fountain drink syrup is free to WDW.

Earlier in this thread, several posters stated that the Coca-Cola Company provides free fountain soda to the Walt Disney Company. The reason given was that Coke gets "free advertising" in return. I checked with Coca-Cola in Atlanta, GA and the Walt Disney Company in Burbank, CA. Both companies denied any such arrangement. Coca-Cola pointed out to me that the Walt Disney Company is one of their most profitable accounts. According to Coke, Disney gets a "volume discount" but the syrup and associated soda is not free. Wal-Mart also gets a "volume discount" as do other outfits that "move" the product. In short, no special deal for Disney.

Upvote 0

dannysbelle

Original Poster
:zipit:
Although I realize this is a discussion board, I almost regret making this post. I didn't realize how creative and angry people would get over about the simple fact of Disney resorts going to bar codes on their refillable mugs. A lot have asked, how could they possibly do this.....this, to the people who have created such rides as Tower of Terror, Honey I Shurnk the audience, and the Utilidors...and they ask, how could they possibly create a scannable mug system??? With this lighthearted sarcasam, let me be the reminder that I posted this to FIND THE TRUTH, not hear rumors or creative imagineering of the soda machines...the truth is out there...

:drevil: db

Upvote 0
Re: Re: Re: I agree!

Originally posted by Talsonic

Earlier in this thread, several posters stated that the Coca-Cola Company provides free fountain soda to the Walt Disney Company. The reason given was that Coke gets "free advertising" in return. I checked with Coca-Cola in Atlanta, GA and the Walt Disney Company in Burbank, CA. Both companies denied any such arrangement. Coca-Cola pointed out to me that the Walt Disney Company is one of their most profitable accounts. According to Coke, Disney gets a "volume discount" but the syrup and associated soda is not free. Wal-Mart also gets a "volume discount" as do other outfits that "move" the product. In short, no special deal for Disney.

And then you have to ask yourself, "Is Disney or Coke going to confirm any such arrangement if you ask about it?"

I got my information from people who work in food and beverage purchasing and deal with those contracts at Disney and I have no reason to not trust them.

So let's just act like nothing was ever said about it at all. :zipit:

Upvote 0

Talsonic

Account Suspended
Urban Rumor

Originally posted by illuminations25

And then you have to ask yourself, "Is Disney or Coke going to confirm any such arrangement if you ask about it?"

I got my information from people who work in food and beverage purchasing and deal with those contracts at Disney and I have no reason to not trust them.

So let's just act like nothing was ever said about it at all. :zipit:

I disagree and think that facts and truth should prevail, not urban rumor. Having researched both the Walt Disney Company and the Coca-Cola annual reports for 2001, I have found no evidence that Coke or Disney have an arrangement that inhibits market share. Your assertion is that both companies are involved in an illegal enterprise. If you can prove that, then I am sure the stockholders of Coke and Disney would be very happy to see you at the next meeting.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Erika

When did THAT happen??? :eek:

If you didnt read it, she's referring to "parker's" comment about WDW charging Transportation fees.

I don't know what this is all about:confused:, but nobody answered:mad:. I am also interested in this. I just didnt want it to go un-noticed.:)

Thank you.:animwink:

Upvote 0

cymbaldiva

K- so back to the point. I'm sure Disney does pay for their fountain Coke products....however, I work in a very small theater, and it only costs us a few cents per serving for drinks. So for Disney with their volume discount....Hmmm....let's just say it would be a bit cheap of them to crack down on refillable mugs

Upvote 0
Sorry:(. I was merely interested. But if you're so uptight about the subject then I'll share my views.:mad:

Don't you think Disney had thought all of the financial things through before they decided to do this:confused:? Plus, Last time I checked, Disney was cheap. Just out to get the American public so they can beat Universal. I'm sure they are making plenty of extra money from this one way or another. If not now then in the long term view. They're always thinking ahead:hammer:

Upvote 0

McArcDes

A little while back in this post I put forth that we would have to refill one of the mugs 180 times to break even on what we paid if Disney $.05 per cup. There is no doubt that Disney makes lots of money on the refillable cup program.

The most resonable idea why they would institute this program is to cut down on the "cheats" that abuse these programs. I do not include people that use refillable mugs bought on previous visits when I say "cheats"

In my opinion anyone who thinks that there is no harm in refilling cups that are not part of the refill program is wrong. They are stealing. We have all seen them and if it were me I would do what I could to keep them from doing it.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by McArcDes

The most resonable idea why they would institute this program is to cut down on the "cheats" that abuse these programs. I do not include people that use refillable mugs bought on previous visits when I say "cheats"

In my opinion anyone who thinks that there is no harm in refilling cups that are not part of the refill program is wrong. They are stealing. We have all seen them and if it were me I would do what I could to keep them from doing it.

Excellent point!

If this Barcode thing works, what will happen with the other (paper) cups. And will the price of refillable mugs stay the same?

Upvote 0
To answer Erika's question about charging for transportation:

A couple of years back (99 or 00 I think) they had people taking surveys. One of the question was how much would you pay to ride the Monorail?

The indignant responses they got shot that idea right to hell.

Brant

11/17/02 Polynesian

Upvote 0

dannysbelle

Original Poster
I just read a post from the Orlando Sentinal that basically said they have this system up in running at Typhoon Lagoon to make the refill lines more accessable and shorter and it is not currently at the resorts...but that the mugs you get at the resorts are "length of stay" only so if they wanted to put the scannable machines in there in the future, it would basically be set up and ready for it. Kind of a "blanket statement" but I guess it always is until the real thing actually happens.

db

24 hrs. baby!!!! I'm bringing my mugs!!!!

Upvote 0

disneydudette

U kno what I heard......well more of another way to cheat the system or even the new system.....

its a pain having to get coffee in the morning or any drink.......

I've seen people using there own "mugs" large and small at the machines.......they did get in trouble.......but the people who were doing this just bought one disney mug and seriously stood there taking refill after refil filling there larger mugs with the drinks from the RM....and since they were using the RM there was nothing neone could do about it......

if they don't put a limit on the new mugs for refills....what stops someone from taking refill after refill and pouring it into another mug that would keep the drink warm or cold for the day or even the night.....

Upvote 0

Erika

Originally posted by EnSkywalker
To answer Erika's question about charging for transportation:

A couple of years back (99 or 00 I think) they had people taking surveys. One of the question was how much would you pay to ride the Monorail?

The indignant responses they got shot that idea right to hell.

Brant

11/17/02 Polynesian

LOL!!!! I was there in 2000 and nobody asked me, but if they had-- Yeah, you could say I would have an indignant response! :lol:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom