Resort Refillable Mug Bar Codes???!!???

dannysbelle

Ok....I've heard a bazillion rumors about the resorts putting bar codes on new refillable mugs so they are only good for length of stay. I'm going next week and really hadn't planned on spending the money again, but if I have to, I guess I will. Anyone hear any TRUTH to this or been to an AS resort in the last week and can give a truthful update?:brick: All I've read has people all frustrated over this, but no one seems to know the actual story on it. Thanks!

db

disneydudette

that sounds kinda stupid and would cost Disney more money....

If they do that they have to replace all the soda machines...they'll have to be high-tech.....thats can cost $$$$$.....and all this to save on like the price of 4 cups....plus that still can be time effective.

and if they do put a refil limitation the cups that would stink!! the cups don't even hold that much......

my guess is there is going to be a "drink cashier" where u walk up to her and she'll scan ur cup.....and ur free to go to the "sectioned drink area"......and return as u please

But thats just a guess.....but people like me aren't going to spend $ on a cup that costs us more tme to use than we have to spend .....so we just won't buy them next time.....

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

I am going to have to follow my rumor rule here...Unless I see something from Disney that proves this to be true then I don't believe it. Right now there is nothing from Disney saying this will happen so for now I only believe that the old system will stay.

Upvote 0

2much2do

I agree with you Disney Insider. Why bother stressing and speculating. Let's just wait and see what happens, and how they do it, if it does happen (which by the way, I really don't think it will). If they do it, then we can all complain up the wazoo :(

Upvote 0

danamarie27

Hmmmmm...every 15min..not why not make us just get a eye retna scan to get the soda..LOL:lol: :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: Or wait!!! maybe we can leave our oldest child as colateral in case we get any funny ideas about using the old mugs...then if we do they can make our kid work it off....LOL this is still insane..I don't care what kind of system they come up with..I am totally boycotting the mug thing. I am sold on the grocery stop with Tiffany's Town car service. Screw the mug...i have a ton of them....:mad: I still think it should be a courtesy for being there...NOTHING but the atmosphere is free...WHATEVER!!!! Can soda and water bottles it is...Id rather spend the $10 a day on the fridge and pack it with stuff I don't have to wait in line for everytime I want it.:D OK maybe im a little y today, but I am still upset about this ....It was the one thing that I felt was not over-priced...I know I am on vacation and I KNOW I am going to spend money, but it was a comfort having that one little thing....GHESH!:hammer: Not another word I promise on the #$@$% Mug thing:zipit: Sorry all....bad day at work.

Upvote 0

McArcDes

that sounds kinda stupid and would cost Disney more money....

Actually it would cost Disney very little money. The soda systems are supplied by Coke to the vendor (in this case Disney) for no money as part of their exclusivity agreement. I know this because I design restaurants and oversee their construction. Coke supplies the soda machine all the piping and the bag in a box where the soda syrup is kept and take care of all the installation.

More that likely the system will be the same one that is now at Typhoon Lagoon and you scan at the soda machine and fill your cup.

Disney may be doing this because their current drink machine are in need of replacement ( just think of how much use they get ) and these are the newest thing. This could allow them to cut down on the people refilling non refill cups, they will be able to track what are the best selling soda products etc.

If they are doing this to find another place to nickle and dime us to death I would imagine it won't last long. As some one said before they pay pennies for a cup of soda and we pay a whole lot more.

Look at it this way. If they pay $0.05 for a cup of soda and we pay $9.00 for a refillable mug we would have to drink 180 cups of soda to pay for the mug! My family of 6 stayed at Port Orleans last November for 2 weeks, bought 2 mugs and came no where near refillilng 360 times Disney would not be selling refillable mugs if they were not making a ton of money on them.

An interesting thougt though would be if you could buy a mug and use it anywhere in all of WDW....I would love that.

Upvote 0

danamarie27

a Refillable and scannable mug you can use anywhere in Disney is a deal....That I would participatei n..As he said..it could track inventory and what is the best etc...but Coke probally pays Disney for the spot as advertising ....the mark up is unbelievable...my boyfrined and i owned a bar and we paid litterally nothing for the coke boxes...it costs us 1 cent per 6 oz. as i said earlier...they paid for the whole gun system for pouring the soda etc.....we were more or less given a system for free and the boxes of soda were CHEAP!!!! anyhoo..im not ed anymore...lets see what happens..

Upvote 0

TiggerDaddy

I spoke with my sister yesterday at WDW. She said that they are already trying it at Blizzard Beach. She didn't have any details becaus she doesn't buy them.

Upvote 0
Disney doesn't pay anything for any of the coke syrup that is used on property, and others have said that the machines, pipes and equipment all come with the contract too. Then the only thing that Disney pays for when it comes to the fountain sodas is the water and electricity.

(You could be nit-pickity and say that pay is involved if people are getting the sodas and cost of up-keep from all the people who just can't seem to understand to clean up after themselves, but I'm not going to go there. ;) )

Upvote 0

dannysbelle

Original Poster
:hammer:
OK OK OK...like I said in the original thread for this post...I've heard a bazilion rumors and frustrations...once again, that's what I got! I'm leaving on Tues morning for WDW and guess I will have to be the one to bring back the correct info. I will check it out, as CMs or GR and bring back the real report to you, the frustrated fans. Keep discussing this and letting all your frustration out...I need to go pack!!!! :king:

db

Upvote 0

strutter

Call me old fashioned, but if you have to wait a minute or two to get your cup scanned, then what is the big deal? I mean, life is too short to worry about these trivial things. Remember, Disney is a business, and they must do what they feel is most cost effective. Hey, if I have to wait a couple of minutes for someone to scan my cup, then so be it. Too many people are in a rush these days. Slow down. Like my Grandma always said, "take time to smell the flowers"

Upvote 0

danamarie27

The point of the refillable mug was for TIME SAVING and to make you feel like you were getting something cheap. We wait in lines for the rides, tickets, check -in, check - out, parades, the list goes on....im not unreasonable to not want to wait for something I have never had to wait for b4. It's not about being cost effective...it cost them nothing. :brick:

Upvote 0

Talsonic

Account Suspended
Wait in lines?

Originally posted by danamarie27
The point of the refillable mug was for TIME SAVING and to make you feel like you were getting something cheap. We wait in lines for the rides, tickets, check -in, check - out, parades, the list goes on....im not unreasonable to not want to wait for something I have never had to wait for b4. It's not about being cost effective...it cost them nothing. :brick:

Obviously, you have missed how WDW works. If there is a line don't stand in it (for you folks from New York "on it"). You have stood in line for a parade or to check out? Soda pop will rot your teeth and it's not good for your body (empty calories). Fass Pass works great! Use it.

Upvote 0

2much2do

Okay,
Here is my thought:
I agree with you Talsonic on most things. I spend very little time "on line" (I'm from NY, and never realized the rest of the country says "in line" till just now, LOL!!!!!) because I use FAST PASS and because I have learned good Disney navigation skills. And yes, soda is bad for you. But, I think what has everyone (most everyone) so upset about this issue is that Disney already gets so much out of us money wise, that putting yet ANOTHER expense/restriction/modification-to-make-them-more-money actually hurts our feelings. At least this is how I feel. I know Disney is all about the money, it is a business after all. But, they orchestrate everything in such a way that you usually don't feel bad about it. Changing the refillable mug procedure would make me feel like they are blatantly taking my money (again!). Most people know Disney pays little to nothing for their soda, and here they are, charging us so much for it. When i was down there, just last month, three seperate cast members on different occasions told me I could use my All-Star mugs from 1999 (I brought two along with me) at the soda machine. Two of those times, I didn't even ask! They volunteered the info!!! I felt wonderful being able to save a few dollars, and take a few less trips to the food court even though I bought three new mugs anyway!!!! They sell so much soda, that they should be able to afford to lose some money (if in fact they are losing any at all) to keep the loyal repeat guests happy by leaving the refill mug system alone!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Talsonic

Account Suspended
I agree!

Originally posted by 2much2do
Okay,
Here is my thought:
I agree with you Talsonic on most things. I spend very little time "on line" (I'm from NY, and never realized the rest of the country says "in line" till just now, LOL!!!!!) because I use FAST PASS and because I have learned good Disney navigation skills. And yes, soda is bad for you. But, I think what has everyone (most everyone) so upset about this issue is that Disney already gets so much out of us money wise, that putting yet ANOTHER expense/restriction/modification-to-make-them-more-money actually hurts our feelings. At least this is how I feel. I know Disney is all about the money, it is a business after all. But, they orchestrate everything in such a way that you usually don't feel bad about it. Changing the refillable mug procedure would make me feel like they are blatantly taking my money (again!). Most people know Disney pays little to nothing for their soda, and here they are, charging us so much for it. When i was down there, just last month, three seperate cast members on different occasions told me I could use my All-Star mugs from 1999 (I brought two along with me) at the soda machine. Two of those times, I didn't even ask! They volunteered the info!!! I felt wonderful being able to save a few dollars, and take a few less trips to the food court even though I bought three new mugs anyway!!!! They sell so much soda, that they should be able to afford to lose some money (if in fact they are losing any at all) to keep the loyal repeat guests happy by leaving the refill mug system alone!!!!!!

I think the majority agree that WDW sold this deal as a "buy a mug for life" deal. I don't drink soda pop and never bought one. However, I know many other people that raved about this great deal because they got the impression they could use their mugs "forever". Now, I have seen many posts that state the WDW policy was "length of stay" yet many visitors think they can use the mugs for life (or until they melt). Also, why would Coca Cola provide "free" soda pop to WDW? I've seen some posts that say WDW gets Coke soda for free or at cost. I don't think that is valid. However, if I am mistaken perhaps WDW could work out a deal with Old Milwaukee.;)

Upvote 0
Re: I agree!

Originally posted by Talsonic
Also, why would Coca Cola provide "free" soda pop to WDW?

Because that's part of the deal as being "the exclusive soft-drink of Walt Disney World." All Coke, and Coke product fountain drink syrup is free to WDW.

Upvote 0

Talsonic

Account Suspended
Prove it!

Originally posted by illuminations25

Because that's part of the deal as being "the exclusive soft-drink of Walt Disney World." All Coke, and Coke product fountain drink syrup is free to WDW.

Sounds like a big rumor to me. Why would Coca Cola give away product that they could sell? Being "exclusive" to Disney is not a big deal. The soda prices are very expensive at WDW. Why would a multinational corporation like Coke "give away" their product to Disney? It doesn't make any sense.

Upvote 0

danamarie27

They give it away bacause it is the best advertising known to man. And yes, you do have to wait for a parade...I didnt mean in line. And you do have to wait to check out to settle your phone etc. or at least I have in the past. I do use fast pass..and you missed my point totally. Like 2much2do stated, its someting that made you feel like you were getting a freebie...it was the ability to just fill and go. Soda is not the only product you can get with the mugs. I like coffe in the morning and my daughter likes the hot chocolate.

My boyfrined and I owned a bar and Coke gave us a system to use for mixed drinks (the gun at the bar). If they gave us a machine to use their products, why woudn't they give it to Disney? We had to purchase the bags of soda for it. It worked out to be 1 cent per 6 oz serving.

The soda in the park does cost alot of money...and you are paying for COKE products that are being used in the bottomless soda cup. Coke wins on this deal no matter which way you look at it. Not to mention the the ability to use it as an advertising expense....

Upvote 0
Originally posted by danamarie27
They give it away bacause it is the best advertising known to man.

Exactly!

The only things that Disney pays for from Coke is their bottled Coke and Coke bottled products.

I remember someone asking me one time why they couldn't get Gatorade at Disney and only PowerAde. They said Gatorade was invented in Florida so shouldn't Disney have it? My reply to them: PowerAde is bottled by Coke, so you're not going to see Gatorade anywhere near WDW.

PowerAde is given away to Entertainment CMs who work parades and such. It's a nice promotional advertising venture for Coke.

Upvote 0

MKCustodial

Right, so after reading through the whole post, I still have a couple of doubts. Aren't there any CMs around who can actually verify the sistem they qould be using here? And the deal with mugs, you byu one in your resort and you only use it there? So you gotta buy one at MK, one at Epcot, and so on, or one from one park is good for all?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom