Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiggerDad

Thank you.

No, nothing. Things happen. People move on. Myself, I'm just reigning myself back a bit. I've nothing to prove and don't want to constantly be "that guy". Plus of course I've people and friends to honour. Could I say more? Absolutely. Could I talk about things I haven't? Yes. Could I spill the D23 beans? Probably. I could talk about **GE. WRTW. 220. LSE. WoW. WC. Resorts. Transport. But I'm not going to break trust. I have (with respect) no desire to be on a pedestal. I just have an interest in the parks and resorts development and am fortunate to have made some great friends over the years. And as always things can change. I'm not in charge. I don't sit in meeting rooms. Sometimes things seem too ridiculous to talk about at first. Or have a slim chance of happening.

I just say what I can when I think I should. And sometimes let others take the credit.
So **GE is SW-GE

RMichael21

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet and I'm sure it sounds crazy haha. Eh whatever, I'm just spitballing here.

Because TRON (the exterior portion) is located on the second level, do y'all think it's possible for it to be built directly on top of the Speedway? So the canopy sits over the track/walkways and the speedway sits underneath? That could let them do whatever they want to it (enclose it, reconfigure it, etc). Then, the large TRON show building sits directly on the other side of the train tracks (i.e. Space Mountain).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet and I'm sure it sounds crazy haha. Eh whatever, I'm just spitballing here.

Because TRON (the exterior portion) is located on the second level, do y'all think it's possible for it to be built directly on top of the Speedway? So the canopy sits over the track/walkways and the speedway sits underneath? That could let them do whatever they want to it (enclose it, reconfigure it, etc). Then, the large TRON show building sits directly on the other side of the train tracks (i.e. Space Mountain).

That's exactly what @Lee says will be done to some degree.

Rodan75

It would only be a matter of time until a cell phone or gopro falls on a 6 yo and then nets or ride closures. I think there has to be some separation.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Honestly, I don't even think the outdoor portion of the coaster works at all. I think it seems very jarring and completely removes you from the world of Tron. You're suddenly just very clearly on a roller coaster. I also don't think the canopy is that compelling during daylight. Interesting shape, but that's really all for me.

Let's hope they have some tricks up their sleeves, but I'm a little apprehensive at this point in time.

You're not alone in that thinking. To me it's bad show. Thankfully I'm still hearing it'll be different from Shanghai. We'll see.

The fate of The Ride Formally Known As Tomorrowland Speedway (TRFKATS ;)) may still be up in the air. Regardless of what happens, it is still planned to coexist with the Tron Lightcycles. MK operations are banking on expanding capacity, not lowering it. However, a Wreck-It-Ralph overlay is in favor higher up over the alternative Tronway theme. This option would downplay the Tron theming I described earlier in favor of a Generic Digital Theme© for the completely indoor "mini land."

A generic digital realm with WIR at the wheel sounds familiar. I guess we'll see soon enough. It's funny how insider info flip-flops. Everyone wants to get the best info possible and it seems like no-one really knows what'll go down until the very end. So many conflicting reports and last min change ups.

Last edited:

Sundown

If what TMH says is true about the outdoor area being covered & immersive in the TRON realm, that sounds pretty neat. One thing about the Shanghai Ride (no I haven't been), it is looked like it might be too open to the outdoor sunlight. And the world of TRON has pretty much no sunlight. So, there are some things that seem to be more of a "win" than a "loss".

- Win: TRON does fit a Tomorrowland theme.
- Win: It seems it will try to be immersive in TRON world
- Win: Option 3 of what Martin said seems it may be the route chosen, keeping/retheming the Speedway plus adding a new TRON ride. That's good news.
- Win: Hey...the music to TRON, whether it's Daft Punk from Legacy or the original TRON music...is just plain awesome. And totally fits with a future/tomorrow theme. So hearing it in a section of the MK will be delightful.

2351metalcloud

However, a Wreck-It-Ralph overlay is in favor higher up over the alternative Tronway theme. This option would downplay the Tron theming I described earlier in favor of a Generic Digital Theme© for the completely indoor "mini land."

That seems even more similar to some of the art said to be leaked Universal Nintendo area art:

k24vFh.jpg

XdG818.jpg

http://universal.wdwinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Nintendomap.jpg

raymusiccity

It will no longer be the "Speedway." Thankfully that thematic disaster is being eliminated.

Edit: My source called it the "Tronway."

The end result will be something quite akin to...
View attachment 215489

It will be an near direct lift from Shanghai, with the outdoor section.

Congrats ! Have you just scored the record number of 'Likes' for one posting ! ? :joyfull:
(58 and counting....)

SoManyWasps

That nap isn't correct. There's no longer a Zelda ride.
The Zelda thing always seemed like a Phase 2 concept to me. Everyone knows Mario and Donkey Kong. Zelda, while popular, is fairly niche, and the general public probably wouldn't care much unless they're convinced by the existing Nintendo World that a Zelda addition is worth visiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom