Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castle Cake Apologist

Unfortunately any changes are not due to any sort of actual interest in themed entertainment. Capacity and guest satisfaction are under incredible strain and attractions are literally the last option that many still don’t understand.

I truly truly truly hope that you're incorrect, though I fear that you're right.

I would wager that the era of the company looking at themed design and attractions as an art form is over and dead. I'm sure that the vast majority of artists within WDI still feels that themed design is an art, but the company as a whole now looks at the parks solely as a revenue generator and nothing more.

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

I'm in the camp who doesn't think that a Tron reskin of the Speedway would be very good, unless the entire Speedway was somehow now going to be enclosed. Other than at night, I just don't see how it would look that cool. I think the Tron aesthetic (black and blue with heavy reliance on lighting) is one that is really only successful in a darkened attraction. I hope to be proven wrong, though!

Bairstow

Me too! I'm hoping for "Cosmic Clean" a color scheme that's Futuristic and Tech Modern (Apple) but grounded in the present (NASA) Slate Grey, Whites, Mirror Chrome, Glass, Accent of Glossy Blacks with pinstriped bits of Neon Blue or Dayglow Orange. Anything else would IMO clash with the rest of Tomorrowland.
Just make everything look like Dubai and it will be fine.

lazyboy97o

I truly truly truly hope that you're incorrect, though I fear that you're right.

I would wager that the era of the company looking at themed design and attractions as an art form is over and dead. I'm sure that the vast majority of artists within WDI still feels that themed design is an art, but the company as a whole now looks at the parks solely as a revenue generator and nothing more.
I’m more optimistic longer term. As those starting now move up, I don’t think they will continue to accept or bow to the attitude that their lifelong passion is a stupid amusement for stupid people.

Bairstow

I'm in the camp who doesn't think that a Tron reskin of the Speedway would be very good, unless the entire Speedway was somehow now going to be enclosed. Other than at night, I just don't see how it would look that cool. I think the Tron aesthetic (black and blue with heavy reliance on lighting) is one that is really only successful in a darkened attraction. I hope to be proven wrong, though!

Yeah, maybe I'm just not thinking outside the box enough on this, but outdoor Tron seems like a non-starter. The outdoor portion of the bike coaster is one thing, since you're still under the opaque glass canopy, but presumably most of the time, the speedway replacement will be under blue skies. Or rainclouds, since this is Florida.

tron-roller-coaster.jpg

What if the new Speedway had two "modes", and changed both name and background music when the sun sets and the lighting package turned on?

Last edited:

thepirateking

I've also been wondering whether a revamped Speedway might be enclosed. If the vehicles go electric, there's no longer any concerns about emissions. It's a lot easier to theme walls than grass. Lighting goes a long way too. Especially if it's going with a Tron aesthetic.

Any chance the cars will do more than just drive? Could there be a system similar to Universal's upcoming Mario Kart drifting or some other enhancement?

21stamps

Me too! I'm hoping for "Cosmic Clean" a color scheme that's Futuristic and Tech Modern (Apple) but grounded in the present (NASA) Slate Grey, Whites, Mirror Chrome, Glass, Accent of Glossy Blacks with pinstriped bits of Neon Blue or Dayglow Orange. Anything else would IMO clash with the rest of Tomorrowland.

I like that!
It will be interesting to see what they're planning.

21stamps

I've also been wondering whether a revamped Speedway might be enclosed. If the vehicles go electric, there's no longer any concerns about emissions. It's a lot easier to theme walls than grass. Lighting goes a long way too. Especially if it's going with a Tron aesthetic.

Any chance the cars will do more than just drive? Could there be a system similar to Universal's upcoming Mario Kart drifting or some other enhancement?

While I think your idea would be neat looking, I would personally hate to see that large of an area become enclosed. Inside cars are fun and have some great themes, but that's a major chunk of land at MK to now have a building covering it.

(Disclaimer- my personal opinions, not meant to start a rumor)

Castle Cake Apologist

Yeah, maybe I'm just not thinking outside the box enough on this, but outdoor Tron seems like a non-starter. The outdoor portion of the bike coaster is one thing, since you're still under the glass canopy, but presumably most of the time, the speedway replacement will be under blue skies. Or rainclouds, since this is Florida.

tron-roller-coaster.jpg

What if the new Speedway had two "modes", and changed both name and background music when the sun sets and the lighting package turned on?

Honestly, I don't even think the outdoor portion of the coaster works at all. I think it seems very jarring and completely removes you from the world of Tron. You're suddenly just very clearly on a roller coaster. I also don't think the canopy is that compelling during daylight. It looks more like something I would see in Dubai and it doesn't tell any kind of story or contribute to any kind of place making. I honestly find most of Shanghai's Tomorrowland to be pretty weak during the day. Interesting shapes, but that's really all for me.

Let's hope they have some tricks up their sleeves, but I'm a little apprehensive at this point in time.

Last edited:

Lora Baines Bradley

My poor TRON fan heart. I recently dove into the series and was disappointed to find a lack of fandom/news. Now, with this, I feel like screaming with joy that I might get to ride a lightcycle :cry: hopefully if it does well, could possibly get the series a third installment or just a second series of Tron: Uprising, because dear lord I need closure after the cliffhanger season finale.

thepirateking

While I think your idea would be neat looking, I would personally hate to see that large of an area become enclosed. Inside cars are fun and have some great themes, but that's a major chunk of land at MK to now have a building covering it.

(Disclaimer- my personal opinions, not meant to start a rumor)

Some tunnels maybe? :)

dm11

What's sad is that there's nothing terribly ambitious about cloning a coaster from another park and redressing the Speedway. We've just become so conditioned to expect the bare minimum at WDW that we have trouble believing that modern TDO would ever sign off on something like this.

While I agree with this not being overly ambitious, or innovative for that matter, I think people are excited because it does sound like a good quality addition plus a good quality revamp. And added capacity. Nothing Earth-shattering but would make significant positive impact on the park. If true, of course :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom