Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm in the camp who doesn't think that a Tron reskin of the Speedway would be very good, unless the entire Speedway was somehow now going to be enclosed. Other than at night, I just don't see how it would look that cool. I think the Tron aesthetic (black and blue with heavy reliance on lighting) is one that is really only successful in a darkened attraction. I hope to be proven wrong, though!
Remember in legacy where the OG bike is white...

TWSITT

My apologies, I may have been interpreting what you were saying incorrectly. It's even stranger to me that the movie that would get two attractions is Tron! I love the aesthetic, but we have to be willing to admit that Tron isn't the biggest movie franchise in the world by any means.
Tron might not be the biggest franchise but maybe that is what MK needs. Something that adds more for guest to do without bringing tons of fans to the park and making it even more crowded. Where as an attraction based on a more popular IP would. Not saying this won't be popular because it certainly will but it won't attract huge crowds like Star Wars.

2351metalcloud

The "outdoor" section will be completely enclosed with projections on the domes ceiling to convince guests they've entered the Tron Realm. There will be no sunlight. A central plaza inside the first sweeping curve will establish the Tron Realm, a completely enclosed mini land. Light cycles will speed above your heads, and if you look down you'll see the completely new Tron Raceway. Once you see the concept art this weekend, you'll understand. Fingers crossed the don't go with the low budget option for the facade...
If that is the case then they might be trying to make something similar to some of the supposed concept art for the Mario Kart ride at Universal that would have flying ships that would go over the kart racers.

Cosmic Commando

Even if traveling to the international Disney Parks is too expensive... doesn't it seem a little selfish to want clones of all of their rides in WDW? It doesn't necessarily make your experience better, but for the people who DO travel internationally to those parks, it must be kind of lame to see the same stuff across the globe. It would be like saying "I can't afford to travel to Paris so they should duplicate the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame in New York." Just my two cents.
Couldn't you also say it's selfish to expect Disney to spend millions of dollars to make your international travel better by developing concepts for new rides, when they have perfectly good ones on the other side of the world that few WDW visitors will ever see and even fewer will care about the cloning?

TiggerDad

Thank you.

No, nothing. Things happen. People move on. Myself, I'm just reigning myself back a bit. I've nothing to prove and don't want to constantly be "that guy". Plus of course I've people and friends to honour. Could I say more? Absolutely. Could I talk about things I haven't? Yes. Could I spill the D23 beans? Probably. I could talk about **GE. WRTW. 220. LSE. WoW. WC. Resorts. Transport. But I'm not going to break trust. I have (with respect) no desire to be on a pedestal. I just have an interest in the parks and resorts development and am fortunate to have made some great friends over the years. And as always things can change. I'm not in charge. I don't sit in meeting rooms. Sometimes things seem too ridiculous to talk about at first. Or have a slim chance of happening.

I just say what I can when I think I should. And sometimes let others take the credit.
So **GE is SW-GE

RMichael21

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet and I'm sure it sounds crazy haha. Eh whatever, I'm just spitballing here.

Because TRON (the exterior portion) is located on the second level, do y'all think it's possible for it to be built directly on top of the Speedway? So the canopy sits over the track/walkways and the speedway sits underneath? That could let them do whatever they want to it (enclose it, reconfigure it, etc). Then, the large TRON show building sits directly on the other side of the train tracks (i.e. Space Mountain).

MisterPenguin

Rumormonger
Premium Member
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet and I'm sure it sounds crazy haha. Eh whatever, I'm just spitballing here.

Because TRON (the exterior portion) is located on the second level, do y'all think it's possible for it to be built directly on top of the Speedway? So the canopy sits over the track/walkways and the speedway sits underneath? That could let them do whatever they want to it (enclose it, reconfigure it, etc). Then, the large TRON show building sits directly on the other side of the train tracks (i.e. Space Mountain).
That's exactly what @Lee says will be done to some degree.

Rodan75

It would only be a matter of time until a cell phone or gopro falls on a 6 yo and then nets or ride closures. I think there has to be some separation.

Magicart87

Premium Member
Honestly, I don't even think the outdoor portion of the coaster works at all. I think it seems very jarring and completely removes you from the world of Tron. You're suddenly just very clearly on a roller coaster. I also don't think the canopy is that compelling during daylight. Interesting shape, but that's really all for me.

Let's hope they have some tricks up their sleeves, but I'm a little apprehensive at this point in time.
You're not alone in that thinking. To me it's bad show. Thankfully I'm still hearing it'll be different from Shanghai. We'll see.

The fate of The Ride Formally Known As Tomorrowland Speedway (TRFKATS ;)) may still be up in the air. Regardless of what happens, it is still planned to coexist with the Tron Lightcycles. MK operations are banking on expanding capacity, not lowering it. However, a Wreck-It-Ralph overlay is in favor higher up over the alternative Tronway theme. This option would downplay the Tron theming I described earlier in favor of a Generic Digital Theme© for the completely indoor "mini land."
A generic digital realm with WIR at the wheel sounds familiar. I guess we'll see soon enough. It's funny how insider info flip-flops. Everyone wants to get the best info possible and it seems like no-one really knows what'll go down until the very end. So many conflicting reports and last min change ups.

Last edited:

Sundown

If what TMH says is true about the outdoor area being covered & immersive in the TRON realm, that sounds pretty neat. One thing about the Shanghai Ride (no I haven't been), it is looked like it might be too open to the outdoor sunlight. And the world of TRON has pretty much no sunlight. So, there are some things that seem to be more of a "win" than a "loss".

- Win: TRON does fit a Tomorrowland theme.
- Win: It seems it will try to be immersive in TRON world
- Win: Option 3 of what Martin said seems it may be the route chosen, keeping/retheming the Speedway plus adding a new TRON ride. That's good news.
- Win: Hey...the music to TRON, whether it's Daft Punk from Legacy or the original TRON music...is just plain awesome. And totally fits with a future/tomorrow theme. So hearing it in a section of the MK will be delightful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom