Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Neo

Not to quibble, but didn't they spend an absurd amount of money of the Norway/Frozen redo? I believe that that would literally be the definition of a substantial capital expenditure ;)

yea they did but I try not to think about that because it hurts too much

#BringbackMaelstrom

sedati

Wow that looks amazing! Was Disney and More suggesting that for Tron or was that just an unrelated but awesome piece of art you found? It's really very stunning.
That piece of art made the rounds a few years ago. I believe it was just a blue sky concept, but it is the first instance I believe where Tron cycles as a roller coaster was visualized and how it could be integrated.

Buried20KLeague

I had read somewhere that this plot was also under consideration as it would provide better views than the other garden wing.

I can't see how that would be anything more than fan-fiction. Just the logistics of one building being so far away from the others makes no sense. Parking, shared spaces, security, monorail stop, food % bev locations, merch locations, pool/water play area/hot tubs, bus stop, etc would all make that virtually impossible.

I'm sure that would also provide challenges as far as the land useage.

chiefs11

I had read somewhere that this plot was also under consideration as it would provide better views than the other garden wing.
I doubt you read that anywhere credible... it isn't really that close to BLT or Contemporary. If anything maybe they could put a second BLT tower north of the parking lot on that large piece of land there, but even that is getting kinda far from the main building.

And there is plenty of room between the Speedway and World Dr for it to look pretty close to those photoshops posted above.

As for the speedway itself, why can't it be under the elevated approach walkway?

andysol

35749845081_1f39ea574c_b.jpg

Great pics @yensidtlaw1969 - Thanks!

Those two images really show what potential the peoplemover has to actually being "people movers" if they built it out a little further to Tron. Right now it's a small attraction- but to actually transport you to attractions around TL would be incredible- and actually supports the Tron theme pretty significantly while increasing kinetic energy.

Between existing things like Astro-Orbitor, a larger people mover, an updated speedway that you can actually see in tomorrowland, and the outdoor portion of Tron- Disney really has the opportunity to make Tomorrowland a bustling area of excitement, lights and motion. And all without some dumb dance party.

frankc

I can't see how that would be anything more than fan-fiction. Just the logistics of one building being so far away from the others makes no sense. Parking, shared spaces, security, monorail stop, food % bev locations, merch locations, pool/water play area/hot tubs, bus stop, etc would all make that virtually impossible.

I'm sure that would also provide challenges as far as the land useage.

I believe this site was mentioned in the same breath as unsuitable soil conditions under the other garden wing. I may have read too much into it and I agree with the issues you mention above, but would have spectacular views of the park (maybe not in reverse though).

Buried20KLeague

I believe this site was mentioned in the same breath as unsuitable soil conditions under the other garden wing. I may have read too much into it and I agree with the issues you mention above, but would have spectacular views of the park (maybe not in reverse though).

IMO (which isn't worth a hoot, obviously), I wouldn't see any reason for them to stick one stray Contemp building over there. If they really wanted to do something like that with a hotel and charge out the wazoo, they could easily make it its own resort. Think like the Mira Costa at Tokyo Disneyland. A western/southern resort over by BTMRR and Splash, that backed right up to the park. They could charge an easy $900 per night for parkfront rooms... Add an entry gate for resort guests...

I think something like that would make more sense than a tower behind the berm on the TL side.

And before anyone fusses about the idea of a hotel right up against the park... If done like Japan, it would be incredible. Here's a pic I took on my last trip.

10mpvyo.jpg

frankc

IMO (which isn't worth a hoot, obviously), I wouldn't see any reason for them to stick one stray Contemp building over there. If they really wanted to do something like that with a hotel and charge out the wazoo, they could easily make it its own resort. Think like the Mira Costa at Tokyo Disneyland. A western/southern resort over by BTMRR and Splash, that backed right up to the park. They could charge an easy $900 per night for parkfront rooms... Add an entry gate for resort guests...

I think something like that would make more sense than a tower behind the berm on the TL side.

And before anyone fusses about the idea of a hotel right up against the park... If done like Japan, it would be incredible. Here's a pic I took on my last trip.

10mpvyo.jpg

I would stay there.

Bairstow

Not at my local park. Disney's small and family attractions are what set them apart from other parks.

If we start getting into a roller coaster Disney, then there would be no reason for a lot of people to go. Most have better coasters within road trip distance.

Your local park contains extensively-themed indoor roller coasters on the scale of Tron, but no rides for kids? I find this implausible.

Go-karts and Dumbo-style spinners are a dime-a-dozen, but very few parks in the world have the resources to build E-tickets. That's why people come from across the world to see them.

What local parks are going to that have large roller coasters but nothing small-scale for kids? Surely nothing operated by Six Flags or Cedar Fair.

Buried20KLeague

I would stay there.

And your pesky wallet would be nice and thin afterward!! :)

I stayed in a park view room in the Mira Costa. I think I paid $750 a night. It was sort of neat to wake up in the morning and just watch everything going on in the park before it opened. They were rehearsing the show in the lagoon (with the floats and everything), and white trucks were zipping all over the place making deliveries and so forth.

EDIT TO ADD: Found a pic from my room from before park open. :)

fux2zl.jpg

21stamps

Your local park contains extensively-themed indoor roller coasters on the scale of Tron, but no rides for kids? I find this implausible.

Go-karts and Dumbo-style spinners are a dime-a-dozen, but very few parks in the world have the resources to build E-tickets. That's why people come from across the world to see them.

What local parks are going to that have large roller coasters but nothing small-scale for kids? Surely nothing operated by Six Flags or Cedar Fair.

None. That's not what I said.
I have no issue with the Tron coaster being added.

If Disney becomes "thrill" heavy.. and does away with attractions like the Speedway, then it isn't much different than many other parks...except for Disney's coasters probably won't be as thrilling.
Uni/IoA is better than Disney when it comes to thrills..and has great theming.
Cedar Fair and Six Flags have better thrills than Disney.

I don't go to Disney with thrills as my motivation. Go karts are not what the Speedway is. Most kids can't drive go karts. They can drive at the Speedway.

The beauty of WDW, for many, is that an entire family can enjoy the majority of the attractions together- as a family. Not waiving to their kid from the sidelines of an amusement park car driving ride.. and not splitting up so some of the family can ride the "big coasters" until they all reach 54".

frankc

And your pesky wallet would be nice and thin afterward!! :)

I stayed in a park view room in the Mira Costa. I think I paid $750 a night. It was sort of neat to wake up in the morning and just watch everything going on in the park before it opened. They were rehearsing the show in the lagoon (with the floats and everything), and white trucks were zipping all over the place making deliveries and so forth.

EDIT TO ADD: Found a pic from my room from before park open. :)

fux2zl.jpg
Very cool

Goob

I think everyone gets what you're saying. The main gripe with the Speedway is that it's just not a very modern take on what could be done in terms of themeing and originality.

And it just takes up way too much space for what it is. Lots of other things can be built there that the modern kid (and adult) would like a lot more.

Last edited:

21stamps

Anyway..because there appears to be confusion between go karts and car rides.. here's a version of a Go Kart in Orlando.. Fun Spot. I don't know what the height requirement is, I don't think it's 56", but it definitely wasn't 46".

IMG_2633.jpg

And below would be the most comparable attraction to the Speedway, that kids can actually drive, at our local Cedar Fair park..parents can not ride. We just smile and wave as they pass by..

IMG_2634.JPG

The Speedway can have children driving with parents riding next to them. Instead of vice versa or not at all.
That's the difference. Those type of attractions, while not exclusive to Disney, are fewer and farther between than the ones pictured above. That is what makes Disney so special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom