Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Deesnee

I cannot tell you the elation and joy I felt upon first reading this rumor that Speedway was finally, FINALLY being destroyed and replaced.
I am praying that Marni is wrong and Tron is not going simply behind the speedway.

I hate the Speedway with every fiber of my being. It is a borderline carnival attraction that can be found at every 2-bit backwater theme park in the US. I go to Disney for experiences I can't have elsewhere and I would wager that's why most others go as well. It is the ride equivalent of sitting in traffic. The awful gas fumes waft around that area of the park making you feel like you're at the worlds largest gas station. Then there is the noise. Who DOESN'T love the sound of go-karts!!! BRRRRRRPRPRBRBBRBRRRRRRRRRRRRBRBRB-BRBRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. So much better than listening to the nice music they play, the sounds of laughter and hoots and hollers of people on Mine Train. Give me the sound of 10 engines puttering around a track any day!

Now you might be saying "Yeah but replace it with electric cars and it's all good mannnnn." Stop it, it isn't all good, it's still awful. Consider the footprint, this piece of asphalt-garbage-crap-trash eats up a massive amount of space. The cars also go about 7 mph which is actually slower than the handicapped scooters. Hell make that a ride, let your kid rent a scooter for 20 minutes and just scoot around the park. Even with electric cars and some theme elements added it is STILL 1 tiny, minuscule step above what can be found at any other theme park.

This is a long post, look at all that text, but you know what this "attraction" deserves every word I said above.

I hate the Speedway.

thepirateking

Wowha woah what?

Tron Cycles in MK should be an exact clone. Same length as Shanghai.

You're "100% longer" message read more like a hint than a desire, and was easy to intepret incorrectly. I think that's where this came from.

In any case, it's good to know something like this is planned. Thanks for sharing what you can.

ToTBellHop

I cannot tell you the elation and joy I felt upon first reading this rumor that Speedway was finally, FINALLY being destroyed and replaced.
I am praying that Marni is wrong and Tron is not going simply behind the speedway.

I hate the Speedway with every fiber of my being. It is a borderline carnival attraction that can be found at every 2-bit backwater theme park in the US. I go to Disney for experiences I can't have elsewhere and I would wager that's why most others go as well. It is the ride equivalent of sitting in traffic. The awful gas fumes waft around that area of the park making you feel like you're at the worlds largest gas station. Then there is the noise. Who DOESN'T love the sound of go-karts!!! BRRRRRRPRPRBRBBRBRRRRRRRRRRRRBRBRB-BRBRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. So much better than listening to the nice music they play, the sounds of laughter and hoots and hollers of people on Mine Train. Give me the sound of 10 engines puttering around a track any day!

Now you might be saying "Yeah but replace it with electric cars and it's all good mannnnn." Stop it, it isn't all good, it's still awful. Consider the footprint, this piece of asphalt-garbage-crap-trash eats up a massive amount of space. The cars also go about 7 mph which is actually slower than the handicapped scooters. Hell make that a ride, let your kid rent a scooter for 20 minutes and just scoot around the park. Even with electric cars and some theme elements added it is STILL 1 tiny, minuscule step above what can be found at any other theme park.

This is a long post, look at all that text, but you know what this "attraction" deserves every word I said above.

I hate the Speedway.
Good for you. Dare to dream, they could keep the Speedway for those that enjoy it AND build an actual expansion with the new coaster. Not everything new has to come at the expense of something old. This isn't Universal Studios.

muse1983

If it does indeed replace the Speedway, I wonder how this is going to affect the Peoplemover...I'm excited to see how they pull this off, but they're going to need to put some pretty major boundaries to properly separate the Tron attraction from Fantasyland

Last edited:

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

I hate the Speedway.

You sound like a fun person.

Dan Deesnee

Good for you. Dare to dream, they could keep the Speedway for those that enjoy it AND build an actual expansion with the new coaster. Not everything new has to come at the expense of something old. This isn't Universal Studios.

Fair enough but your discounting the fact that this ride effects other rides around it. The noise, gas fumes, etc. I get it that some enjoy this but if you were to build the worst ride ever constructed, someone out there would enjoy it. Does that means it should never be replaced?

When a ride is frequently rated as one of and in many cases THE worst attractions in a world class theme park, it's time to get rid of it or make drastic alterations. If 90 out of 100 people hate something and 10 enjoy it can you explain to me the logic behind keeping that attraction?

ToTBellHop

Fair enough but your discounting the fact that this ride effects other rides around it. The noise, gas fumes, etc. I get it that some enjoy this but if you were to build the worst ride ever constructed, someone out there would enjoy it. Does that means it should never be replaced?

When a ride is frequently rated as one of and in many cases THE worst attractions in a world class theme park, it's time to get rid of it or make drastic alterations. If 90 out of 100 people hate something and 10 enjoy it can you explain to me the logic behind keeping that attraction?
It is never rated as one of the worst attractions in MK. On TripAdvisor, it is #167 of 424 things to do in Orlando. I'm not discounting anything. It's a popular ride that you don't like.

Try again.

Dan Deesnee

I'm using a more representative sample than you. And I'm quite well-versed in the Disney fan community.

Think about target audience.

Check out the glowing comments here - http://www.themeparkinsider.com/reviews/walt_disney_world's_magic_kingdom/tomorrowland_speedway/

I get that it is made for kids, drive your own car, etc. but so are most of the rides there and they all manage to be imaginative and fun for all ages (well not all but the majority). But again like I said in my original post, go karts can be found at nearly every tiny to large theme park in America making it not special and far from a one of a kind experience. Also, the last time I rode it (last year) half the kids looked bored out of their minds, again 7mph is pretty slow.

ToTBellHop

OK you both disagree on if the Speedway is fun or not...moving on. Let's get back on track concerning the insanely awesome news (and something I never thought would actually happen) that Tomorrowland is getting the Shanghai Tron coaster!!
I'm sorry, I thought this thread was titled "Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?" I must be going blind.

This is not a debate of opinion. I have not shared my opinion on the Speedway. It's meant to be an objective discussion of factors Disney has used to decide whether to place TRON on the Speedway's plot or to go through the expense of making the land behind usable.

The ride itself, for its flaws, is popular. We shall see if that is enough to save it.

As the coaster is a copy and paste job, the more provocative issue at this point is placement and effect on the surrounding area.

RobbinsDad

I hate the Speedway.
While my emotions aren't quite on this level, I haven't ridden in one of those POS cars in at least 15 years and don't plan to. It's pretty awful.

RobbinsDad

While I am not a fan of the Speedway, I will say out of principle that I applaud the decision to keep any attraction and build new (*gulp* even SGE) rather than replace or overlay an existing attraction.

Phineas

That is a lot of pages. Ok I will give it a shot for you. Mystic Manor should come to DAK. No it shouldn't. Yes it should. No it shouldn't. It's not about animals but there is a monkey. But Eisner said this but...blah blah blah. Disney is alll about family rides, no it isnt yes it is no it isn't. We should all go to China. But it's too expensive. No it isn't, yes it is, no it isn't. Oh yeah and we're getting the Tron roller coaster at Magic Kingdom. Woohoo!!!!!
Succinct, informative, and all-around perfectly accurate. Good work.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
@marni1971 , if you or other insiders can't share, that's fine (D23 is only a few days away now), but literally every site (and not just theme park sites) that has mentioned Tron is saying that it is going to replace the Speedway, not be built adjacent to it. Have plans changed since Monday?

It's very possible that all these sites are just repeating what has been posted on a single site. One site starts the speedway replacement rumor and everyone else just runs with it.

Scor1pion

I personally am not sad to see it go either. However, there are go-kart tracks about every 20 miles where I live so its nothing exciting for my kids or me. We go to Disney for things we can't do at home. We rode it once and never have again. That being said, for those who don't have that opportunity I feel bad for them as it may be the only place they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom