Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redshoesrock

If they wanted to leverage this difference, I would make sure the track swoops over Tomorrowland, even if the main showbuilding is behind the RR. Wouldn't it be awesome if a portion of it travelled along next to the PeopleMover?

The reason Tron goes outside the show building isn't because it looks cool, it's because of Chinese culture. China has a "shame culture", meaning (in this case) if you were to enter the building for Tron, realize right before you got on that it's a roller coaster and back out, you would lose face and honor with your friends and family. (In the Western World, we have a "guilt society"). So by showing part of the ride to the guests before they enter the building and commit, it allows the Chinese to gracefully excuse themselves from riding. Since we in the West don't consider it as big of a deal if you back out of riding something after you initially said you would, there's no need to show part of the ride outside. It'll be fully enclosed, I'm 100 percent sure.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Look I hope it comes to Disney World, I think it looks great (but not at the expense of Space)

But it's a Vekoma Bike Coaster that's dressed up and themed well. It's not innovative. There's several less themed versions over the planet.
Yikes, I am not sure if you are serious or just upset enough with the thought of Space being replaced to be blind to the fact it is innovative.

Daveeeeed

Exciting news! Thanks @marni1971. Do you know if something like this would happen to the railroad?
20130909080340286.jpg

Buried20KLeague

The reason Tron goes outside the show building isn't because it looks cool, it's because of Chinese culture. China has a "shame culture", meaning (in this case) if you were to enter the building for Tron, realize right before you got on that it's a roller coaster and back out, you would lose face and honor with your friends and family. (In the Western World, we have a "guilt society"). So by showing part of the ride to the guests before they enter the building and commit, it allows the Chinese to gracefully excuse themselves from riding. Since we in the West don't consider it as big of a deal if you back out of riding something after you initially said you would, there's no need to show part of the ride outside. It'll be fully enclosed, I'm 100 percent sure.

What? The whole "hook" of the ride is the outdoor portion, under glass, in the crazy lighting at night. The outdoor portion is the best part of the ride. There's no reason it would be omitted.

And I have no idea where you're coming up with your cultural opinion. I never saw anyone freaking out about riding over the course of many days and many rides.

rct247

I'm going to make the guess that elements of the Tron coaster from Shanghai will be put into a complete overhaul of Space Mountain to bring it back to the spotlight just in time for the 50th. I don't see them demolishing the iconic building, however, I see them altering it similarly to how they altered World of Motion for Test Track creating a covered outdoor section like Tron. This redo of Space would result in the long needed track replacement as well as cosmetic changes to the queue that could quite honestly be radically changed from what we know it as now. That would allow them to fix stand-by wheelchair accessibility and single rider line additions to be possible if they are in the works. It would also require them to close the train. Closing Space Mountain in early 2018 would give enough time to make it happen by the 50th. It would also probably prompt the call centers to get flooded with phone calls from Guests who have already booked their vacations.

Speedway being removed comes into play with the entire New Tomorrowland overhaul. New paint colors on TTA, COP, and the rocks were all the start. Joffrey's, Cosmic Ray's outdoor seating work, Stitch going seasonal, new restroom signage, and the new Cosmic Dance Party are also all part of the gradual overhaul. COP is due for an interior scene update. Stitch is open for options. The 50th is going to be a big deal.

But...I'm just speculating. We'll see if I'm right or completely full of it.

trainplane3

Does anyone really think Disney would be crazy enough to replace SM with Tron? Tron has always been the red-headed stepchild of franchises. Sure the (2) movies weren't perfect, but they were always interesting and the effects were great (which is enough to keep making sequels nowadays).
The idea of getting rid of a truly staple attraction to replace it with something that has been in movie limbo for so long is crazy. Tron 3 confirmed! Tron 3 cancelled! Tron reboot with Jared Leto! And now nothing. It could be a good franchise that would sell itself just because of aesthetics but it keeps getting killed off. I love Tron, but I don't see SM replaced by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom