Repainting of Epcot Central Plaza?

Padraig

There haven't been any pictures, but the painting has reached Mouse Gear. I don't know if I like it, too many different colors, it almost looks more outdated than ever...

Looking at the above photo, I assumed that they were testing out the various colours, rather than it being an actual pattern.

Also, this thread makes me nostalgic for when I first visited WDW in 92. I know there's a few threads, but it'd be great if there was a section on WDWMagic devoted to a historical photo archive, broken down by park and era.

DisneyGentleman

What are they thinking?
The new color scheme is representative of the overall modern aesthetic of TDO. The chaos and patchwork of the planning process in the parks is making its way into the architecture of FutureWorld. Think Starbucks, FastPass, food kiosks scattered about the parks, and drunks vomiting around World Showcase Lagoon. This is the new future we should all now embrace.

In the old days, FutureWorld was guided by visionaries like Ray Bradbury, who possessed a coherent image of the future, full of bright colors, clean lines, and eternal optimism. But this is the future that was never meant to be in the corporatization of tomorrow, and in time that clear, clean vision has faded away.

Today we have hysterical myopia, in which the clutter of the parks corresponds to the clutter of a thinking of TDO in it's eternal quest for the almighty buck. This corporate dissonance is represented in the chaotic tones along the Innovations overhang. It is an allegorical representation of the mighty spreadsheet that drives all corporate thinking today.

Or something like that...

montyz81

The new color scheme is representative of the overall modern aesthetic of TDO. The chaos and patchwork of the planning process in the parks is making its way into the architecture of FutureWorld. Think Starbucks, FastPass, food kiosks scattered about the parks, and drunks vomiting around World Showcase Lagoon. This is the new future we should all now embrace.

In the old days, FutureWorld was guided by visionaries like Ray Bradbury, who possessed a coherent image of the future, full of bright colors, clean lines, and eternal optimism. But this is the future that was never meant to be in the corporatization of tomorrow, and in time that clear, clean vision has faded away.

Today we have hysterical myopia, in which the clutter of the parks corresponds to the clutter of a thinking of TDO in it's eternal quest for the almighty buck. This corporate dissonance is represented in the chaotic tones along the Innovations overhang. It is an allegorical representation of the mighty spreadsheet that drives all corporate thinking today.

Thank you Micheal Eisner for beginning the fall of Epcot. I miss my visit to Epcot in 1983! I only wish Horizons was open then!

Soarin' Over Pgh

This is the truth. And couldn't have been said better, especially that last paragraph.

Well done, @DisneyGentleman

Tom Morrow

Looking at the above photo, I assumed that they were testing out the various colours, rather than it being an actual pattern.
I thought so too, but the multi-colors have continued all the way to Mouse Gear and Fountain View now. Maybe it will look better when complete, but right now I'm not sure what they're thinking.

RAXIP

Tom Morrow

What do you mean by "continued all the way to…"? Those were the areas that were originaly painted.
When the thread was created, the re-painting stopped where it is in that picture, so we thought maybe they were sampling different colors. But now the re-painting has extended all the way down to Fountain View, as in, closer to the fountain and the breezeways, so they are not "sampling" colors as an experiment, this is the actual color pattern.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
When the thread was created, the re-painting stopped where it is in that picture, so we thought maybe they were sampling different colors. But now the re-painting has extended all the way down to Fountain View, as in, closer to the fountain and the breezeways, so they are not "sampling" colors as an experiment, this is the actual color pattern.
I liked this to say "thank you".
What I don't like is the fact that it means that we're going to be stuck with this pattern for quite some time now. I couldn't imagine them actually doing what a DIY'er on HGTV would do and throwing up a few strokes of paint to see "what looks best", out in front of the general paying public. BUT, I held out hope that maybe that was what was happening.
Nope. They're going to continue to go with this horrendous pattern. Who knows, maybe it'll look better in person. Not holding my breath on this one.

Slowjack

I have to ask, do any of our cast members or other insiders know anything for sure about this paint job? I mean whether this parti-colored scheme is going to be the final look or is just some kind of test?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom