News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

Bender123

But WS has an infinite amount of things to do for kids! For kids who need to be entertained by more than a video of some character.

~ EPCOT Center, the park that sparked the imagination of smart kids ~

World showcase was never a bastion of child joy...Granted, Future World always was, but WS has always had problems with children. If they can put a ride or two back there, fine by me.

Bender123

But what about the rest of them ? ;)

You mean the kids who don't like shopping, drinking and sit down meals? I loved American Adventure, El Rio, O Canada and Impressions de France, but outside those, the rest of WS were museum areas that were easily bested by almost any local museum.

Call kids dumb all you want, but Epcot needs "stuff" to do that will justify charging the same price as the other parks. Right now, WS is basically a shopping mall with a really high cover charge.

UpDog71

Thanks for your report!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't find the floor and screen edges distracting. My experience is that the floor is physically visible (particularly from certain seats), but it's not distracting nor does it take you out of the attraction. I guess if you went in thinking about the floor it might jump out at you. If you just go with the flow of the attraction, though, it's very fun and immersive.

I also like the way the vehicles move and weave around the attraction!
Having been on this attraction 3 times in one day, I came away falling in love with its charm. I did notice the floors, but they didn't bother me. In fact, I think part of the reason the floors are visible is that most of the projection from the kitchen scenes are bright and white, and that illuminates almost any flaw. Transformers is the opposite, dark night films do not illuminate the surroundings.

Bender123

Who cares? Should a library built a games arcade because not all kids like to read?

Send the uninterested kids to a theme park with foamheads, playgrounds, superhero thrill rides and toon screen rides and....and...wait...

Libraries actually do have games, comics and movies...You fail to realize that WDW is primarily a family vacation area and a significant portion of the people there have kids. Have all the high minded ideals that you want, but Im sure surveys have shown that people are avoiding Epcot for the shocking lack of activities for children.

Sorry, but bars, restaurants and a thin coating of museum is not worth a $125 ticket for a family.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You mean the kids who don't like shopping, drinking and sit down meals? I loved American Adventure, El Rio, O Canada and Impressions de France, but outside those, the rest of WS were museum areas that were easily bested by almost any local museum.

Call kids dumb all you want, but Epcot needs "stuff" to do that will justify charging the same price as the other parks. Right now, WS is basically a shopping mall with a really high cover charge.

But kids love acrobatic mimes with non-stop whistles!!

Next Big Thing

I’m talking about their immediate placement and interaction with their respective lands. They’re not part of a cohesive space, they’re something around back connected by a path. Sausalito’s entrance isn’t located behind the old Energy Pavilion (this might be the first marginally positive thing I’ve said about that project).
I actually like that Rat is tucked in the back with it's own courtyard.

Bender123

But kids love acrobatic mimes with non-stop whistles!!

If there is one thing kids love more than endless booze vendors and shopping, it's mimes. When I was a kid, I didn't want any rides or attractions in my theme park vacation experience...all I wanted was mimes with whistles.

I say this over and over on this forum, but it seems I need to again. We, as WDW fanatics, are in the very very small minority of guests. We can complain all we want, but if none of us ever showed up at WDW again, there would be another person lined up to take our reservation and fast pass. WDW is not a "resort" in the original sense anymore...Families aren't going there for a week to get a three day park pass, hit the golf course, catch a "Broadway show" at the Top of the World and then head out to the Village for some souvenirs before shipping back to home. These types of resorts are dead and buried...their corpses line every state in the nation. What WDW has managed to do is maintain a status as a "resort" by catering to what modern families are looking for. We may not like the IP, but the average WDW fan pays $10K for a trip to WDW and they want a Disney character based attraction, so management will give them one.

I don't like it, but I understand the business reason for it.

FigmentFan82

If there is one thing kids love more than endless booze vendors and shopping, it's mimes. When I was a kid, I didn't want any rides or attractions in my theme park vacation experience...all I wanted was mimes with whistles.

I say this over and over on this forum, but it seems I need to again. We, as WDW fanatics, are in the very very small minority of guests. We can complain all we want, but if none of us ever showed up at WDW again, there would be another person lined up to take our reservation and fast pass. WDW is not a "resort" in the original sense anymore...Families aren't going there for a week to get a three day park pass, hit the golf course, catch a "Broadway show" at the Top of the World and then head out to the Village for some souvenirs before shipping back to home. These types of resorts are dead and buried...their corpses line every state in the nation. What WDW has managed to do is maintain a status as a "resort" by catering to what modern families are looking for. We may not like the IP, but the average WDW fan pays $10K for a trip to WDW and they want a Disney character based attraction, so management will give them one.

It also should be said that you get out of your trip what you put into it. If your goal is to hit the attractions and meet characters, then they've got you covered. If you want to relax by the pool and eat some good food you can do that too. I think in WDW there is something for everyone, even if everyone doesn't like everything.

Mike S

Who in the heck spends $10K on one trip?!?!?! 😦

Bender123

Family of 5, airline, hotels (forced into either family suite/Moderate if we really hate ourselves/Airfare/Food/Drinks/Extras)...It adds up pretty quick.

For reference, a one week August stay in a family suite, with hopper tickets and dining plan is $8420.95 (currently). If you want to kick down to a Quick service meal plan, $7616.15. Either way, still need to get there, so lets go with Southwest for our flight...$250 each ticket for a total of $1250. We are at $8900-$9600 before taxes, at this point and we haven't even set foot in on property.

WDW is a really expensive trip with a family.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Easy to do, if you have a family of 6. For a 7-day trip:

Airfare - $2100 (edit: That can be a conservative $ amount these days)
Food - $3000 (3 meals a day, roughly $150/meal avg, no outside food or beverages)
7-day park hoppers - $3000

You're at $8k without a hotel room, a single souvenir, extra beverages/snacks during the day, or even a one-time ice cream treat for everyone. We can eat cheaper, because we'll rent a car, buy groceries at Public or Wally World, and keep them in our DVC room. But for a non-DVC family of 6, $10k can be in the rear view mirror quickly at WDW.

Bender123

Airfare - $2100
Food - $3000 (3 meals a day, roughly $150/meal avg, no outside food or beverages)

You're at $8k without a hotel room, a single souvenir, or even a one-time ice cream treat for everyone.

Hopper add on for a family of 5 is just shy of $500 on its own...Im constantly amazed by people not really grasping how insanely expensive a family trip is. We could squeeze into a five person room at CBR, but with twin 13s, 16 and the wife and I, its not exactly an enjoyable stay.

Obviously, it can be cheaper if you give up sleeping in a bed, don't do days in the parks, eat lite, etc...but I don't go on a vacation to make myself miserable.

Mike S

Family of 5, airline, hotels (forced into either family suite/Moderate if we really hate ourselves/Airfare/Food/Drinks/Extras)...It adds up pretty quick.

For reference, a one week August stay in a family suite, with hopper tickets and dining plan is $8420.95 (currently). If you want to kick down to a Quick service meal plan, $7616.15. Either way, still need to get there, so lets go with Southwest for our flight...$250 each ticket for a total of $1250. We are at $8900-$9600 before taxes, at this point and we haven't even set foot in on property.

WDW is a really expensive trip with a family.

Airfare - $2100 (edit: That can be a conservative $ amount these days)

You're at $8k without a hotel room, a single souvenir, extra beverages/snacks during the day, or even a one-time ice cream treat for everyone. We can eat cheaper, because we'll rent a car, buy groceries at Public or Wally World, and keep them in our DVC room. But for a non-DVC family of 6, $10k can be in the rear view mirror quickly at WDW.
Well, if tix are like $2k and you stay at a deluxe, that’s another $3k. Maybe $1500 for food? Another $2k flights. Then there’s three Disney Ever Afters and a MNSSHP with the Cruella booze party. Minnie Van everywhere. Souvenirs. That’s more like $15k!
Guess who’s not going to Disney with family (whenever I have one) until the kids have jobs and pay for themselves...

I don’t think I’ve hit that amount with all of my own trips yet, jeeeeeez.

Bender123

Guess who’s not going to Disney with family until the kids have jobs and pay for themselves...

Just for further reference, our last trip came to just under $10,400 all in. this was seven nights, eight park days, Dining plan, airfare, snacks, alcohol, shopping, photopass, etc...

That was three teens and two adults cramming into a CBR five person room.

FigmentFan82

Guess who’s not going to Disney with family (whenever I have one) until the kids have jobs and pay for themselves...

Great for you if you are able to keep your WDW trip costs low, but it's pretty naive to not realize that WDW trips for families costs lots of $$$

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom