News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

lazyboy97o

A lot of the hike will be queue space.
Not really. That’d be like a day’s worth of queue for much of that distance be used by queuing.

To hide most of backstage WS from the gondoliers.
That explains the massing, not the routing of the entrance.

Where else in the France pavilion would you have put it? If nothing else, as I picture this ride being VERY popular, I imagine putting the ride where they did will allow guest flow to and from the ride to be more or less unobstructed from the general promenade around World Showcase and will prevent the already narrow pathways around the current France pavilion area from being clogged with guests just looking to get to/from the ride. Had they rotated the attraction and put the entrance between France and Morocco, you would be wasting a large portion of the expansion pad between those two pavilions given that the ride show building will only take up about 1/3 or 1/2 of that area. Putting the attraction where it is only takes up the back portion of that expansion pad leaving room for something smaller to still be put at the front of the pad. Additionally, putting the ride where it is will utilize some of the back portion of the France pavilion pad that otherwise would have gone unused. It would be nice if they had a "backdoor" entrance to Les Halles that would allow you to cut through there (without that actually being the main entrance to the attraction), but who knows if that will actually happen.
Much of the expansion pad is already being used so it’s not really leaving much along the promenade.

MrPromey

Rebuild the ride system with double-capacity pirate ships, for one.

This is the same company that increase Soarin and Midway Mania’s capacity.

Good point but that might be more of a challenge than it would seem. I don't know how much of a relationship there is to that ride system and the structure of the building but we would be talking about a lot more weight and much less nimble vehicles so it's possible that parts of the attraction would have to be reworked to allow longer or wider vehicles to fit.

That's all pure speculation on my part but as the company that also felt the need to move a ride like Dumbo across the land to double it's capacity, obviously, you're right in that if there's a will, there is certainly a way.

But if they doubled capacity and didn't fix those volcanos, I'd be mightly peeved! :mad:;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That explains the massing, not the routing of the entrance.

Because that side of France was a backstage route which would have been visible from above (looking over the fence) and had to be re-done. Also, it meant the front half of the pad that Rat is taking over can have more room for something else there... a mini-pavilion, more France or Morocco, a stage, festival booths and seating, etc...

lazyboy97o

Because that side of France was a backstage route which would have been visible from above (looking over the fence) and had to be re-done. Also, it meant the front half of the pad that Rat is taking over can have more room for something else there... a mini-pavilion, more France or Morocco, a stage, festival booths and seating, etc...
Facades can be improved without guest access as occurred previously with the France pavilion. There isn’t just one way of siting anything. The building’s orientation is focused on cloning.

Castle Cake Apologist

A lot of the hike will be queue space.

Have plans changed since the announcement? The concept art shows that the majority of that space will be a walkway and a courtyard, with the attraction entrance on the building itself, at the end of the courtyard. That makes it seem like most of the walk to the attraction won't be queue space, as it looks like the queue doesn't begin until you're in the building? There's benches and a flower market, so I'm assuming the courtyard isn't queue space.

Unless I've interpreted the art wrong this entire time.

MrPromey

If Ratatouille fits so well, why hide it in such a weird place?

Facades can be improved without guest access as occurred previously with the France pavilion. There isn’t just one way of siting anything. The building’s orientation is focused on cloning.

What exactly are you getting at with all of this?

There is probably a point I'm missing but it feels like you're arguing to argue.

Please help me (and probably others) understand by clarifying your stance.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Have plans changed since the announcement? The concept art shows that the majority of that space will be a walkway and a courtyard, with the attraction entrance on the building itself, at the end of the courtyard. That makes it seem like most of the walk to the attraction won't be queue space, as it looks like the queue doesn't begin until you're in the building? There's benches and a flower market, so I'm assuming the courtyard isn't queue space.

The art doesn’t show the overflow being used. Rat in Epcot won’t have the secondary covered queue that Paris has.

As always the art has a dose of artistic license.

Last edited:

MrPromey

I wouldn't call the front of Norway and the promenade beyond it obvious queue space for Frozen either but a lot of the time, it is.

Maybe they're trying to improve on that mistake?

larandtra

If something doesn't fit in WS, then it would absolutely be a valid critique to say so, regardless of the IP situation. However, I literally said (multiple times, and even in the post you quoted) that I think it fits into WS just fine, assuming the IP mandate is the new normal.
Relax. Its a difference of opinion

Castle Cake Apologist

Wasnt referring to you in my post. Dont assume and be so jumpy.

Surely I could be forgiven since you quoted my post... not sure who I was supposed to assume you were referring to?

Relax. Its a difference of opinion

Convenient post editing is convenient. I'm not sure where our difference in opinion was, though. I'm agreeing with you that Rat fits fine in WS.

Last edited:

_caleb

DCA already had a "do-over" a few years back, during which time they added quite a bit of charming placemaking to Paradise Pier to double down on the early 1900s seaside amusement pier theme. Now they're undoing all of that work to shove in Pixar characters with no rhyme or reason.

The "backstory" for Incredicoaster is so contrived that it's almost funny.
Yeah. I'm not sure there's a rhyme or reason to what gets a do-over (Ellen overlay) or how many they get before they do something more radical (GoTG coaster). Sometimes, it's clearly the need for something shiny and new. Other times, it's what can bring in more money quickly. But some things (DL's PeopleMover, SGE in MK, or all of DHS) don't make sense at all to me.

Of course, not all the do-overs are well-received (Imagination, Stitch, etc.) but others really are (GoTG Tower, Tarzan Treehouse, additional TSMM track, Soarin' theater, etc.).

Castle Cake Apologist

The art doesn’t show the overflow being used. Rat in Epcot won’t have the secondary covered queue that Paris has.

So is the courtyard designated as the overflow, instead of building an actual designated overflow queue with switchbacks? Seems like they could have avoided many of the issues Norway experiences from Frozen turning the coutyard into a madhouse, considering this is a new build. That atmospheric courtyard is what I was most excited for... I'm going to be really annoyed if it's just always full of unorganized chaos.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So is the courtyard designated as the overflow, instead of building an actual designated overflow queue with switchbacks? Seems like they could have avoided many of the issues Norway experiences from Frozen turning the coutyard into a madhouse, considering this is a new build. That atmospheric courtyard is what I was most excited for... I'm going to be really annoyed if it's just always full of unorganized chaos.
The path to the building entrance will be an overflow when needed.

lazyboy97o

Yes really.

The overflow queue is shown in the promotional rendering. It is the covered area south of the walkway leading to the showbuilding. You’d walk past it before entering. The holes for stanchions are even visible in one of the released permit drawings.

BrianLo

Things that fit so well usually aren’t hidden out back.

Of course. Things that are not originally designed as part of an organic expansion pad or original layout can often be awkwardly placed. So they do not fit in the most logical fashion, as if France was redesigned from scratch in order to accommodate a random large dark ride.

I believe you are trying to obfuscate fit with belong - to that I disagree. The former is not an omission of guilt to latter. It simply means these are two different projects designed seperately from one another and combined down the line, that does not mean they cannot complement one another inevitably.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom