News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

Castle Cake Apologist

Im just happy that its a ride...Im tired of people complaining when a new ride isn't a super headliner. The parks just need some more entertaining C/D ticket rides that eat some people and last longer than 90 seconds. It isn't the best ride, by any means, but Little Mermaid at MK is great for what it is...its a low key dark ride that keeps you busy for a few minutes. The AAs aren't great, but (shrug)...

What a complacent post... no wonder Disney has no desire to do well. Why should they?

Kinda sad if you think the bar for new Disney attractions should be set as "keeps you busy for a few minutes."

Nobody is lamenting the addition of a C/D ticket, and most would agree that they are definitely needed. Attraction balance is very important. The problem is quality. If the best you can say about a ride is "at least it's a ride" and "shrug," then it doesn't matter what ticket tier it would fall under, they've failed.

Bender123

What a complacent post... no wonder Disney has no desire to do well. Why should they?

Kinda sad if you think the bar for new Disney attractions should be set as "keeps you busy for a few minutes."

Nobody is lamenting the addition of a C/D ticket, and most would agree that they are definitely needed. Attraction balance is very important. The problem is quality. If the best you can say about a ride is "at least it's a ride" and "shrug," then it doesn't matter what ticket tier it would fall under, they've failed.

I disagree. I have seen Rat. Its got a bunch of screens, but it isn't low quality. Its a standard dark ride with screens. I have exceptionally high standard for Disney, but in this case, its a good fit for the pavilion, its a solid ride and its not a replacement. Im very happy to see the lineup being fleshed out a bit, because lately, we are seeing E ticket after E ticket after E ticket. Sometimes I just want a kick back and ride, type of ride. I really feel Disney should be aiming for two or three B-D tier rides for every E tier. Its great they are making an effort to do this.

Castle Cake Apologist

I disagree. I have seen Rat. Its got a bunch of screens, but it isn't low quality. Its a standard dark ride with screens. I have exceptionally high standard for Disney, but in this case, its a good fit for the pavilion, its a solid ride and its not a replacement. Im very happy to see the lineup being fleshed out a bit, because lately, we are seeing E ticket after E ticket after E ticket. Sometimes I just want a kick back and ride, type of ride. I really feel Disney should be aiming for two or three B-D tier rides for every E tier. Its great they are making an effort to do this.

I will offer no argument against it fitting where it's going and the fact that it isn't replacing anything, these are amazing things that we don't get very often anymore. I just don't think the ride itself is all that compelling, especially when it is going to be the only real attraction on that side of WS.

mikejs78

Premium Member
That goes 100% against everything I've heard, but, don't have the time to research it. Any of our historians care to set me straight?
I recently read an article about the history of World Showcase. My understanding from that is that they tried to get countries to sponsor the pavillions but failed in every case (except for Morocco). Every other country said no. So Disney then got sponsorship from businesses from each of the countries. That seems to have was in place from day 1. I'm not a historian though, just going off of what I remember reading...

Castle Cake Apologist

That goes 100% against everything I've heard, but, don't have the time to research it. Any of our historians care to set me straight?

I'll second that. To my knowledge, the governments of the represented nations were not involved (minus one or two pavilions... Norway and Morocco I think), but there were corporate sponsors in the countries from day one.

EDIT: @mikejs78 beat me to it. I gotta start finishing the thread before responding to posts!

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
WS was nearly completely built without sponsors.

I recently read an article about the history of World Showcase. My understanding from that is that they tried to get countries to sponsor the pavillions but failed in every case (except for Morocco). Every other country said no. So Disney then got sponsorship from businesses from each of the countries. That seems to have was in place from day 1. I'm not a historian though, just going off of what I remember reading...

I think Norway's tourist board did put something in. And I seem to remember that China had no corporate sponsors at all at opening (I think they were persuaded later).

But I'm wondering if technically @The Empress Lilly could be correct. As in WS was built without sponsors, just not opened without them? I don't know what the timeline was for building, opening and sponsorship. @marni1971 - would you care to chip in? :)

_caleb

People are genuinely EXCITED for Pixar Pier. I don't get it.
People are excited because they're working to improve what was a less-than-impressive carnival pier-themed area of the park. Features that seemed to have less thought put into them will be retconned into a cohesive theme with a more consistent quality. It's like a do-over!

In some ways, this is actually validating for the fans who scrutinize everything (like we do around here). It's as if Disney was looking at their work and saying, "Yeah, we didn't do such a great job on this part." We may disagree with how they decide to remedy those issues, but it's still shows a (selective) commitment to improvement.

For Ratatouille, it's similar. The France pavilion wasn't bad, but if they were starting from scratch today, it would make sense for Disney to consider including any new technology or existing IP they had that might fit well with the theme. One way to make improvements is to build new stuff. Another way is to ask, "if we were going to start over on this attraction, what would we include this time?" and then add that.

This is why they added projection mapping to some of the old dark rides, and keep making changes to Pirates. It's also why they added the in-seat sound system to DL's Space Mountain. This approach isn't always best, but it's one way Disney can make improvements to the parks.

matt9112

I will offer no argument against it fitting where it's going and the fact that it isn't replacing anything, these are amazing things that we don't get very often anymore. I just don't think the ride itself is all that compelling, especially when it is going to be the only real attraction on that side of WS.

your last point is really the crux it's going to be a zoo and before parents "arguably" had no reason to drag there kids around world showcase past Norway. think of food and wine and now MASSIVE throngs navigating to this attraction.

matt9112

People are excited because they're working to improve what was a less-than-impressive carnival pier-themed area of the park. Features that seemed to have less thought put into them will be retconned into a cohesive theme with a more consistent quality. It's like a do-over!

In some ways, this is actually validating for the fans who scrutinize everything (like we do around here). It's as if Disney was looking at their work and saying, "Yeah, we didn't do such a great job on this part." We may disagree with how they decide to remedy those issues, but it's still shows a (selective) commitment to improvement.

For Ratatouille, it's similar. The France pavilion wasn't bad, but if they were starting from scratch today, it would make sense for Disney to consider including any new technology or existing IP they had that might fit well with the theme. One way to make improvements is to build new stuff. Another way is to ask, "if we were going to start over on this attraction, what would we include this time?" and then add that.

This is why they added projection mapping to some of the old dark rides, and keep making changes to Pirates. It's also why they added the in-seat sound system to DL's Space Mountain. This approach isn't always best, but it's one way Disney can make improvements to the parks.

two words Peter pan.......convince me.

The Empress Lilly

Yes. No national country sponsors, except later for the additions of Morocco and Norway. There were individual corporate sponsorship deals of sorts, notably involving WS shops and F&B.

Maybe the article you refer to is from Werver Weiss? http://www.yesterland.com/worldshowcase.html

MrPromey

two words Peter pan.......convince me.

Why would they upgrade Peter Pan? It's a relatively low capacity attraction that already can't handle the number of people that want to ride it. If they put in real, articulated animatronics and replaced the aluminum foil look of the inside of the volcanos (like they did in DL), what will that do but drive demand even higher?

... Actually, they could probably improve those volcanos without increasing wait (and I really wish they would) but I don't think they feel any urgency to since the attraction is already at capacity, consistently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom