News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

ToTBellHop

Why would they upgrade Peter Pan? It's a relatively low capacity attraction that already can't handle the number of people that want to ride it. If they put in real, articulated animatronics and replaced the aluminum foil look of the inside of the volcanos (like they did in DL), what will that do but drive demand even higher?

... Actually, they could probably improve those volcanos without increasing wait (and I really wish they would) but I don't think they feel any urgency to since the attraction is already at capacity, consistently.
Rebuild the ride system with double-capacity pirate ships, for one.

This is the same company that increase Soarin and Midway Mania’s capacity.

Castle Cake Apologist

People are excited because they're working to improve what was a less-than-impressive carnival pier-themed area of the park. Features that seemed to have less thought put into them will be retconned into a cohesive theme with a more consistent quality. It's like a do-over!

In some ways, this is actually validating for the fans who scrutinize everything (like we do around here). It's as if Disney was looking at their work and saying, "Yeah, we didn't do such a great job on this part." We may disagree with how they decide to remedy those issues, but it's still shows a (selective) commitment to improvement.

For Ratatouille, it's similar. The France pavilion wasn't bad, but if they were starting from scratch today, it would make sense for Disney to consider including any new technology or existing IP they had that might fit well with the theme. One way to make improvements is to build new stuff. Another way is to ask, "if we were going to start over on this attraction, what would we include this time?" and then add that.

This is why they added projection mapping to some of the old dark rides, and keep making changes to Pirates. It's also why they added the in-seat sound system to DL's Space Mountain. This approach isn't always best, but it's one way Disney can make improvements to the parks.

DCA already had a "do-over" a few years back, during which time they added quite a bit of charming placemaking to Paradise Pier to double down on the early 1900s seaside amusement pier theme. Now they're undoing all of that work to shove in Pixar characters with no rhyme or reason.

The "backstory" for Incredicoaster is so contrived that it's almost funny.

Last edited:

Kman101

DCA already had a "do-over" a few years back, during which time they added quite a bit of charming placemaking to Paradise Pier to double down on the 1920s seaside amusement pier theme. Now they're undoing all of that work to shove in Pixar characters with no rhyme or reason.

The "backstory" for Incredicoaster is so contrived that it's almost funny.

This is a perfect example of shoving in IP where it doesn't belong. (Other IP usage I don't mind; but this is a case of not everything NEEDS IP)

I think the food kiosks are the tackiest, TBH, lol. I think Pixar decor aside, some plussing of the buildings can happen so that's a plus, if I had to find SOMETHING about it. LOL.

Castle Cake Apologist

This is a perfect example of shoving in IP where it doesn't belong. (Other IP usage I don't mind; but this is a case of not everything NEEDS IP)

I think the food kiosks are the tackiest, TBH, lol. I think Pixar decor aside, some plussing of the buildings can happen so that's a plus, if I had to find SOMETHING about it. LOL.

I admire your ability to see the positive in anything lol. I can't think of anything I like about it. Tacky fast food carts, MORE oversized Toy Story statues, a shop selling a dead character's tears, a reskinned Flik's Flyers as the first attraction ever built for Inside Out, the list goes on...

Kman101

I admire your ability to see the positive in anything lol. I can't think of anything I like about it. Tacky fast food carts, MORE oversized Toy Story statues, a shop selling a dead character's tears, a reskinned Flik's Flyers as the first attraction ever built for Inside Out, the list goes on...

LOL. I'm trying. But I think it's genuinely awful, I just think some of the buildings looks could actually improve if it's more Victorian and better done, but it doesn't mean I approve of the Pixar decor that's going on top. But to be fair, I wasn't a fan of the original pier either. I thought it was a lazy way to include a bunch of carnival rides to pad out the park. I mean, I'll always enjoy a seaside pier, but meh overall.

The tacky food carts and naming a store after Bing Bong brings me right back to how the park used to be when it opened (I saw it before the makeover).

Castle Cake Apologist

LOL. I'm trying. But I think it's genuinely awful, I just think some of the buildings looks could actually improve if it's more Victorian and better done, but it doesn't mean I approve of the Pixar decor that's going on top. But to be fair, I wasn't a fan of the original pier either. I thought it was a lazy way to include a bunch of carnival rides to pad out the park. I mean, I'll always enjoy a seaside pier, but meh overall.

The tacky food carts and naming a store after Bing Bong brings me right back to how the park used to be when it opened (I saw it before the makeover).

Paradise Pier was originally designed to be part of the cancelled DisneySea at Port Disney in Long Beach, so it probably would have worked much better with the actual ocean behind it.

But yes, Pixar Pier screams DCA 1.0.

larandtra

Am I not allowed to feel that a ride is lackluster, simply because you don't feel the same way? For all the times you've tried to make the point that everybody is entitled to their opinion, this feels like you're taking the opposite stance. I never said it was in any way an offensive addition... in fact, I even said that I think it can fit into WS well.

Have you ridden Rat? It's pretty boring, honestly.
Huge difference in Quality of an attraction and whether or not it fits the theme or culture. I have never ridden the Paris version and if this one is bad on quality Ill be the first to say it. But, saying it doesnt fit in WS is not a valid critique based on the IP driven direction.

Castle Cake Apologist

Huge difference in Quality of an attraction and whether or not it fits the theme or culture. I have never ridden the Paris version and if this one is bad on quality Ill be the first to say it. But, saying it doesnt fit in WS is not a valid critique based on the IP driven direction.

If something doesn't fit in WS, then it would absolutely be a valid critique to say so, regardless of the IP situation. However, I literally said (multiple times, and even in the post you quoted) that I think it fits into WS just fine, assuming the IP mandate is the new normal.

Bender123

If Ratatouille fits so well, why hide it in such a weird place?

You mean as a part of France? Seriously, they will want to theme and/or hide the show building, just as they always do. I would guess the ride queue will be very prominently displayed in France. If you want a hidden ride, try Mexico...That ride is practically camouflaged off in the corner behind all the shops.

lazyboy97o

You mean as a part of France? Seriously, they will want to theme and/or hide the show building, just as they always do. I would guess the ride queue will be very prominently displayed in France. If you want a hidden ride, try Mexico...That ride is practically camouflaged off in the corner behind all the shops.
It’s behind the current pavilion and you have to walk all the way around the opposite side to get to the entrance.

Castle Cake Apologist

I will say that I'm pretty excited for an expanded pavilion. I love the pavilions that allow you to wander around and explore, like Morocco and the UK. Pavilions like Italy and Germany don't do as much for me, with their boxed-in courtyard designs.

Am I wrong, or are we getting the entire courtyard that WDSP has as part of this? Minus Chez Remy, of course.

Castle Cake Apologist

Has the entrance to Rat been established yet? My guess is the entrance will be quite visible which is what really matters.

I think you'll have to walk around a corner into a whole new area. I'm sure there will be plenty of signage, but I don't think the entrance will be in the current pavilion. As always, I could be completely wrong lol.

lazyboy97o

Has the entrance to Rat been established yet? My guess is the entrance will be quite visible which is what really matters.
The entrance is behind the current pavilion. From the Promenade facing the Pavilion, you will have to walk around the west side of the pavilion (between the pavilion buildings and the canal), turn the corner at the back of the pavilion and then walk along the back side of the pavilion to the ride. A sign can be posted sooner, but that is quite a hike before the actual entrance.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The entrance is behind the current pavilion. From the Promenade facing the Pavilion, you will have to walk around the west side of the pavilion (between the pavilion buildings and the canal), turn the corner at the back of the pavilion and then walk along the back side of the pavilion to the ride. A sign can be posted sooner, but that is quite a hike before the actual entrance.
A lot of the hike will be queue space.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
If Ratatouille fits so well, why hide it in such a weird place?

Where else in the France pavilion would you have put it? If nothing else, as I picture this ride being VERY popular, I imagine putting the ride where they did will allow guest flow to and from the ride to be more or less unobstructed from the general promenade around World Showcase and will prevent the already narrow pathways around the current France pavilion area from being clogged with guests just looking to get to/from the ride. Had they rotated the attraction and put the entrance between France and Morocco, you would be wasting a large portion of the expansion pad between those two pavilions given that the ride show building will only take up about 1/3 or 1/2 of that area. Putting the attraction where it is only takes up the back portion of that expansion pad leaving room for something smaller to still be put at the front of the pad. Additionally, putting the ride where it is will utilize some of the back portion of the France pavilion pad that otherwise would have gone unused. It would be nice if they had a "backdoor" entrance to Les Halles that would allow you to cut through there (without that actually being the main entrance to the attraction), but who knows if that will actually happen.

michmousefan

No “backdoor”.
Good... as mentioned, those passageways are narrow enough as it is. Plus, they are likely going to have to create a "stroller parking zone" as this ride will bring in more younger families to WS. Not saying that's a bad thing, but the streets of the France Pavilion were not designed with the modern-day double-wide superstocked strollers you commonly see in parks nowadays.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom