Remember When Cinderella Castle Was Turned Into A Cake in 1996?

Did You Like The Castle As A Cake?

• Yes

Votes: 95 40.9%
  • No

Votes: 137 59.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Panhead

we kinda started talking about this at the very end of the Picture of the Day thread (Part 2) and I think someone posted a picture of this. Just look through the last 3 or 4 pages

I looked through about 15-20 pages of the "Picture of the Day" thread and didn't find anything, I thought you were going crazy..... until I saw you said part 2 :brick::lol:

That pic of the half-pink castle, is even worse then the full cake castle (if thats possible). :dazzle:

-Chris-

heh, post 100^^ :lookaroun

Fun2BFree

The Castle Cake was great... as a temporary fitting. If they had kept it permanently like the Wand, it would have been a bad thing. But as it is, what's more magical than transforming the Magic Kingdom's icon into something looking completely different?

Besides, I first went to WDW when the cake was around, and it didn't spoil my trip. So many oppose any change whilst saying the parks are stagnating... you're discouraging Disney to try new things... to innovate, just like Walt.

Hotdogs

It was our first visit and we were surprised to see it like that. But we took a lot of pics of it, something special to remember our first visit by.

sublimesting

Imagine all the poor people that went on their once in a lifetime trip and the castle was IN TRANSITION...neither castle nor cake but a monstrosity!:eek:

Cynderella

I liked it. I thought it was neat. Would I want them to do it again? Not at all. But for a once and done thing I thought it was cool. Better than that stupid toilet paper ordeal. :lookaroun

maryszhi

heck yes, i was in grammer school, and i honestly thought it was real cake, even though i was like 7 or 8 . i thought it looked yummy . now i think it was the ugliest thing ever. i do, however, must say the replica at the grandfloridian was a lot prettier

paul436

I, regretfully, did not go to WDW that year and did not see the castle done up like a cake. But based on the pictures, I would have loved to have seen it! It looks beautiful!!

FLDISFAN

Ive REALLY tried to block this out from my Memory.

I hated the PINK cake with all my heart and still do.

Ive like just about every other Castle decoration but this one just went to far.

Please in the future keep Castles looking like Castles. :ROFLOL:

And to whoever posted this atrocious picture, Thank you. Your going to give me bad dreams for a week now. :hurl:

Just Kidding

:lol:

banimall

In my opinion 96' was one of the best times in Disney history, new park opening soon, new attractions, parades, lots going on, so if the castle is one way to remember that, then yeah I liked it. Looking back now I can't believe it was 12 years ago.

Texas84

The family got to see it in person and we all thought it was awesome! But, yeah, of course no one wanted it to be permanent!

Disneykidder

Ah yes, I remember that pepto pink castle very well. This is funny that I saw this bc I saw the pics yesterday in my album and was going to scan it for a thread.

It was a very shocking pink but the candles, candy and frosting like pieces looked awesome. It was there 2 years in a row that we went. It was to commorate the 25th. I was bummed and shocked at first when I saw it bc I love the castle. I am glad they put it back to normal but it was fun!!:)

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe some of the candles swayed back and forth. Does anyone remember this or am I have a senior moment at 32?

DizneyPryncess

I never realized that happened - a big chunk of time went by when I didn't go to WDW so I was out of the loop. That is a crazy picture.

I kind of like it, it's unique. I like how they do different things to the castle from time to time, it gives people something new to see. It's a little overboard, and hard on the eyes. But I still like it for what it was. Cool concept. I'm glad it didn't stay like that though.

Disney-Nautifan

I never got to see Cinderella Castle in it's pink cake overlay because I first visited WDW in 1999, a year after the overlay was removed in January 1998.

I my own opinion, I quite like the pink cake overlay to the castle, making it look edible and sweet! :slurp:

However, I hated the fact that the cake overlay was added incomplete, as the back of the castle was completely untouched by the overlay, apart from inflatable icing above the rear arches.

Still, it was a treat specially for those fans who hated the cake overlay, and Disney purists who adored the beautiful blue and white gold-spired form of the castle.

look1angel

I thought it was pretty awesome, my 3 kids who were under 10 at the time loved it. I am, however, very happy that it was just temporary

Kamikaze

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe some of the candles swayed back and forth. Does anyone remember this or am I have a senior moment at 32?

That wasn't really an intended effect. Some of the cake was inflatable. (And yes, I know the post I'm replying to is a year old.)

durangojim

I thought it was pretty darn cool. We even have miniature of the castle as a cake, and a piece of the castle/cake that we bought off of Ebay.

foreverbelle

back then, i thought it was cool...plus i actually saw it there in person so as a teenager i thought it was sooo cool....
now it reminds me of candyland...

Edeyore

I did remember, but I had the image surgically removed from my brain. Then you had to show that photo again. Oh well, back to the surgeon. :lol:

I_heart_Tigger

I definately remember that. That was the year I worked at WDW and man some people were pi$$ed about the castle-cake.

Weddings at the wedding pavilion were being cancelled and people were talking about suing Disney for ruining their wedding so alot of the photos that normally show the castle in the background had to be re-touched so the old castle was in the picture.

Some people had their first trip to Disney that year, one of my family members went and I still have heard the end of that "Stupid looking giant cupcake that threw up over the Magic Kingdom"

The Disney photogs had to ask everyone who got their picture in front of the castle which castle they wanted in the background but things were getting screwed up so they ended up printing off two pictures for every family...one with the Cake Castle and one with the real castle.

I guess I understand why but if that isn't how the castle looked when you were there why do you want to buy a picture? :shrug:

and as for the candles swaying... I was called in twice as part of the hurricane task force...you should have seen those candles swaying then :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom