News Reimagined Toontown coming

mickEblu

It's almost funny how bad it looks compared to the concept art. They really needed a tree with a wide canopy for the look to work. Right now it just looks like a soft pad with fallen branches. (Also, I don't know why but I'd always assumed the tree would be fake like the treehouse.)

View attachment 704814

View attachment 704815

I’m all for real trees and grass across the park but I agree, this is one instance where it probably should have been fake. And since they did go the real route it’s hard to believe they couldn’t find a better tree.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
A new park map has debuted!
549059B7-C282-4EDB-A0A6-03CB2ABB14FD.jpeg

47148D0B-61D6-4910-BFBA-895ECED0EA31.jpeg

TP2000

According to that new map, Disneyland Park now has 50 Attractions. (The Disneyland Railroad is counted four times for the four stations, but that's a cheap trick so you have to remove three "attractions" from the list of 53.)

Of those 50 listed "Attractions", 40 of them are actual rides that place you in moving ride vehicles. The other 10 "Attractions" are walk-throughs (Treehouse, Castle Diorama) or theater shows (Tiki Room, Good Times With Mr. Lincoln) or interactive exhibit areas (Mickey's House, Main Street Cinema, Donald's Boat, Goofy's Playhouse, etc.).

PiratesMansion

I just don't get this "Dreaming Tree" part of the new land.

What's the point exactly? Kids jump around on its fake roots while Dad supervises on the AstroTurf? And was it supposed to look like this?

FriOo86aIAAVIBO
In concept, I'm sure they're alluding to Walt's "Dreaming Tree," a tree where he allegedly would sit and think as a kid in Marceline, MO.

As for the execution, no idea.

TP2000

Wasn't the Dreaming Tree like a big part of the redo announcement? How like... it was a place people could go and dream of a brighter tomorrow and a happy future for the children that play amongst its roots etc?

Yes, it was. Josh D'Amaro made a big deal about it at a D23 presentation, as I remember. And it was plugged on the Parks Blog as some immersive new magical thing.

But it doesn't show up on the map as an "Attraction", and looking at the photos coming in today I'm not entirely sure what it's supposed to do or be exactly. It's not even attractive or aesthetically pleasing. And the tri-color AstroTurf isn't helping any.

Here's another photo taken just one hour ago. They made such a big deal about this! Why?!? 🧐

Frn35qQaUAAVz3f

TP2000

This Dreaming Tree thing is getting roasted on Social Media, so it's not just us.

November 15th, 2021: The newly reimagined Mickey's Toontown will feature a "dreaming tree" that Disney says is "inspired by the tree a young Walt Disney would daydream under in his hometown. Sculpted tree roots will provide an opportunity for children to play, crawl and explore, and undulating topography will offer rolling hills and a place to sit and dream," Disney said in its press release.

Sun-Dappled Concept Art From Gushing Josh D'Amaro IAAPA Keynote Address Reveal In 2021:

FriA3wdWIAI8z4Z

Sun-Dappled Yet Dramatically Different Reality on March 18th, 2023:

FriA3wgWcAExvDF

Something tells me the Alice-esque party lanterns in the branches were a late addition. They saw what it turned out like and thought "Crap, what could we do to help it look less dumb? Party lanterns?!"

wtyy21

This Dreaming Tree thing is getting roasted on Social Media, so it's not just us.

November 15th, 2021: The newly reimagined Mickey's Toontown will feature a "dreaming tree" that Disney says is "inspired by the tree a young Walt Disney would daydream under in his hometown. Sculpted tree roots will provide an opportunity for children to play, crawl and explore, and undulating topography will offer rolling hills and a place to sit and dream," Disney said in its press release.

Sun-Dappled Concept Art From Gushing Josh D'Amaro IAAPA Keynote Address Reveal In 2021:

FriA3wdWIAI8z4Z

FriA3wgWcAExvDF

Something tells me the Alice-esque party lanterns in the branches were a late addition. They saw what it turned out like and thought "Crap, what could we do to help it look less dumb? Party lanterns?!"
Concept art feel different than in reality.

mickEblu

Yes, it was. Josh D'Amaro made a big deal about it at a D23 presentation, as I remember. And it was plugged on the Parks Blog as some immersive new magical thing.

But it doesn't show up on the map as an "Attraction", and looking at the photos coming in today I'm not entirely sure what it's supposed to do or be exactly. It's not even attractive or aesthetically pleasing. And the tri-color AstroTurf isn't helping any.

Here's another photo taken just one hour ago. They made such a big deal about this! Why?!? 🧐

Frn35qQaUAAVz3f

I mean they didn’t even pick a symmetrical tree. You have one large branch coming out on one side with nothing to balance it out on the other side.

waltography

I mean they didn’t even pick a symmetrical tree. You have one large branch coming out on one side with nothing to balance it out on the other side.
The curve in the concept art tree was a critical shape they needed in order for this area to work, both because the line of the tree would be dynamic and animated but also to make it believable that those roots come from the tree. It literally looks like a stick in the ground right now.

I'd heard on Twitter the reason the tree looks like that is because they had to prune it pretty significantly in order to transport it to Toontown, which honestly only adds more questions for me.

Practical Pig

I agree that the Dreaming Tree is currently underwhelming. Since it's (unexpected by me) a real tree, the future is open to improvement. But the shrinking of the tree roots from the size in the concept art that kids would be able to climb on and crawl around down to the tiny trip hazards they built is baffling.

Last edited:

brb1006

FriA3wdWIAI8z4Z

FriA3wgWcAExvDF

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom