News Reimagined Toontown coming

Disney Analyst

Whole project reeks of inner factions battling it out. Hence why it seems like one clueless faction wanted to theme the entire land to pandering soulless preschool Clubhouse & parody Ren & Stimpy style modern Mickey shorts and the other passionate/competent faction that gets the importance of ‘all age appeal’ & ‘thematic integrity’ was like, screw that, it’s Toon Town, it’s supposed to be a tribute to all the classic toons. Hence the history queue for Runaway Railway, the Rescue Rangers theming in the “Gadget Coaster”, keeping Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin, the Goof Troop/Goofy Movie references in Goofy’s & Pete’s homes, etc.

Huh?

brb1006

Whole project reeks of inner factions battling it out. Hence why it seems like one clueless faction wanted to theme the entire land to pandering soulless preschool Clubhouse & parody Ren & Stimpy style modern Mickey shorts and the other passionate/competent faction that gets the importance of ‘all age appeal’ & ‘thematic integrity’ was like, screw that, it’s Toon Town, it’s supposed to be a tribute to all the classic toons. Hence the history queue for Runaway Railway, the Rescue Rangers theming in the “Gadget Coaster”, keeping Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin, the Goof Troop/Goofy Movie references in Goofy’s & Pete’s homes, etc.
You okay there buddy?

TP2000

I get it, actually. Sort of. It may be because I was at a dinner party that served some excellent Willamette Valley Pinot Noir and then came home at Midnight and fixed myself a Blossom Nosed Murphy to celebrate my Irish friends, but I still get it. Buckle up...

I believe @Inspired Figment is complaining, legitimately, about the dumbing down and removal of some of Toontown's better themeing and placemaking; the removal of the interactive fountains for bland swaths of AstroTurf, the cheapening of the CM's charmless new costumes, the weird fixation on making Mickey "hip" circa 2015 in 2023 when the budget clearly didn't extend to any other characters, etc.

And yet there are some surprising plusses to this new Toontown; the fabulous overall addition of MMRR as a whole with a wonderful queue, the fact that Roger Rabbit still exists even if the Morality Police now demand naughty Jessica be covered up by a unisex trench coat, the sudden and random appearance of Sideshow Pete, the 20th century nods to reality in the attractions hosted by Goofy and Donald, etc.

There's some good, and some bad, in this new Toontown. And to be honest, while it's wildly optimistic and likely never going to happen with the current TDA/Burbank executive mindset, the bad stuff could easily be fixed and replaced with minimal work in the years ahead.

brb1006

I get it, actually. Sort of. It may be because I was at a dinner party that served some excellent Willamette Valley Pinot Noir and then came home at Midnight and fixed myself a Blossom Nosed Murphy to celebrate my Irish friends, but I still get it. Buckle up...

I believe @Inspired Figment is complaining, legitimately, about the dumbing down and removal of some of Toontown's better themeing and placemaking; the removal of the interactive fountains for bland swaths of AstroTurf, the cheapening of the CM's charmless new costumes, the weird fixation on making Mickey "hip" circa 2015 in 2023 when the budget clearly didn't extend to any other characters, etc.

And yet there are some surprising plusses to this new Toontown; the fabulous overall addition of MMRR as a whole with a wonderful queue, the fact that Roger Rabbit still exists even if the Morality Police now demand naughty Jessica be covered up by a unisex trench coat, the sudden and random appearance of Sideshow Pete, the 20th century nods to reality in the attractions hosted by Goofy and Donald, etc.

There's some good, and some bad, in this new Toontown. And to be honest, while it's wildly optimistic and likely never going to happen with the current TDA/Burbank executive mindset, the bad stuff could easily be fixed and replaced with minimal work in the years ahead.
Or because he has an intense hatred on anything related to Clubhouse Mickey and the newer Mickey shorts. The latter has actually gotten better with the Disney+ exclusive shorts and specials.

Inspired Figment

This is exactly it. Thanks!

TP2000

This is exactly it. Thanks!

My pleasure. But you can also thank Blossom Nosed Murphy (just before he was jailed for the evening) for giving me the insight.

448551496_50f277d2b6_b.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Cool conspiracy theory.

Not surprising who bought into it.

mickEblu

Look no further than Chip n Dales GADGET coaster where you have classic/ naked Chip n Dale figures alongside Gadget and the giant fly (I refuse to look it up) figures on the same ride. Baffling choice. I’m convinced there are a few imagineers who read our comments and do things just to watch us scratch our head.

Last edited:

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I watched a few walk-throughs yesterday (unfortunately having to endure some of the insufferable vloggers) and here are some of my thoughts.

Overall, I like what they've done. ToonTown was getting old and stale and honestly was a land I mostly only visited to ride RRCS. I personally think the new layout with the road, sidewalks, fences, and parks makes it feel more like a town and less like and asphalt jungle.

I like the additions of the grass areas, though it would have been better with real grass, but seeing how many people were walking and laying on them yesterday I can understand that keeping them maintained would be a nightmare. I really like the Goofy's house changes, both inside and out. Between the new play area and the OG interactive area between RR and MMRR, I can see my 3-year-old nephew spending hours playing here and that's what's important for me, honestly.

I was never super attached to the fountains and one vlogger suggested they should have at least kept the RR statue in the new astroturf area. From what I heard, the new fountain is on a 30 minute cycled program, so over the course of 30 minutes you get a variety of things going on. I think the old treehouse area will be a hit with being out of the way and shaded. I also noticed that Goofy, Donald, and Clarabelle were freely roaming around and playing with the kids, not just stationary M&Gs. I hope they can continue that.

My only mild complaints are what's already been said about Jessica Rabbit changes and the renaming of Gadget's. Gadget built the ride, so why take her name off of it? I get C&D lost their treehouse and they are a more familiar name, but I feel like poor Gadget got devalued as an intelligent and inventive female just for name placement and what is a failed attempt to tie into the movie.

I'll probably have a better feel for it when I visit in person next month. I assumed the land closed in the evening for fireworks, so I've yet to find any nighttime walk throughs yet (post walls coming down).

Side note: I think it's funny they soft opened yesterday to the public while I'm sure many people (and vloggers) reserved today instead.

Brer Oswald

Her name is still on it. And... they added a statue of her. So, her presence in the ride *increased*.

It's just that she got second billing because C&D are more well known.
Yeah, this is one of the complaint’s I don’t really get. Chip and Dale are more iconic. The fact that they doubled down on the Rescue Ranger stuff should be a plus for fans of that show.

Me personally? I’m more of a Ducktales fan, and I wanted to see it get rethemed to that. Ducktales presence in the land has increased as well, but Scrooge’s presence still seems to be at a minimum.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Her name is still on it. And... they added a statue of her. So, her presence in the ride *increased*.

It's just that she got second billing because C&D are more well known.
It was formerly "Gadget's Go Coaster" with Gadget being the possessive noun and the person who built/owns it. Now it is "Chip 'n' Dale's GADGET Coaster" with C&D being the possessive noun meaning it is theirs and GADGET being not the person, but the type of coaster. If anything, C&D stole the coaster away from Gadget and is calling it their own now.

The addition of the statue is just in hopes that people will overlook that she was completely devalued by not being the forefront of the ride, but now second fiddle.
I am doing this right, right? I mean, I don't give 2 poopoos about the name, I just think it's funny that the Disney that put Jessica in a trench coat and made her a detective is the same Disney that took ownership of an attraction away from an intelligent female character....and slightly poking fun at those who take this kind of stuff a little too seriously.

You are giving them to much credit lol. They probably just took whatever they could find that fitted in the land.

brb1006

Yeah, this is one of the complaint’s I don’t really get. Chip and Dale are more iconic. The fact that they doubled down on the Rescue Ranger stuff should be a plus for fans of that show.

Me personally? I’m more of a Ducktales fan, and I wanted to see it get rethemed to that. Ducktales presence in the land has increased as well, but Scrooge’s presence still seems to be at a minimum.
I'm more baffled that neither Huey, Dewey, and Louie have yet to return to Disneyland or Walt Disney World. At least Scrooge and Launchpad has made a few appearances at the American Parks in recent years.

Donald's Nephews are more commonplace at Disneyland Paris and make occasional appearances at Tokyo Disneyland during seasonal events.
83f275e1ed052107f1743eb107d7ab0d.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom