News Reimagined Toontown coming

Phroobar

With pleasure...

And to that, I say, "If you can't hear it, how can you understand what they're saying?"
That is the point. If you like listening to a bunch of people who talk like cartoon characters, dress like ten year olds, give false information and sputter on about pointless trashcan moves while sharing fried chicken unmasked during the height of the Pandemic, be my guest. It's just a bunch of nerds bleating.

mharrington

That is the point. If you like listening to a bunch of people who talk like cartoon characters, dress like ten year olds, give false information and sputter on about pointless trashcan moves while sharing fried chicken unmasked during the height of the Pandemic, be my guest. It's just a bunch of nerds bleating.

I don't recall the host of Fresh Baked Disney dressing like a child, talking about trashcans or sharing fried chicken. As for the information being "false," then apparently, everything MiceChat says is false, too. Fresh Baked was just simply quoting sources.

Phroobar

I don't recall the host of Fresh Baked Disney dressing like a child, talking about trashcans or sharing fried chicken. As for the information being "false," then apparently, everything MiceChat says is false, too. Fresh Baked was just simply quoting sources.
What's the point of listening to something third hand?

PiratesMansion

What is the alternative for news?
There are approximately 3 billion Disney/theme park YouTube channels in addition to that one, as well as various fan forums like this one, and of course, when Disney actually announces things, you have the Parks Blogs and various newspapers.

There's no shortage of options.

Follower count =/= quality or reliability or quality either.

Of course, there's not news or updates every day but if we're being honest, not every day is a noteworthy event where meaningful things happen or important decisions are made. But part of the reason that I don't follow channels like FreshBaked is because they feel an obligation to upload something more or less every day, and that means that if there's a rumor out there, then they're going to give their opinion on it even if it's obviously nonsense or it turns out to be nothing. Channels like that, if you go back in their archives, are littered with "Will _________ (company) really do this?!?!?" sorts of videos that turned out to be entirely baseless. It's the same problem 24 hour news networks have-there isn't actually enough meaningful content to fill all of that time, so a good chunk of it is nonsensical filler designed as BREAKING NEWS, all the while hoping that you don't notice.

TL;DR: there are plenty of options, and more frequent (or louder or more popular or whatever) content is not always better content.

mharrington

There are approximately 3 billion Disney/theme park YouTube channels in addition to that one, as well as various fan forums like this one, and of course, when Disney actually announces things, you have the Parks Blogs and various newspapers.

There's no shortage of options.

Follower count =/= quality or reliability or quality either.

Of course, there's not news or updates every day but if we're being honest, not every day is a noteworthy event where meaningful things happen or important decisions are made. But part of the reason that I don't follow channels like FreshBaked is because they feel an obligation to upload something more or less every day, and that means that if there's a rumor out there, then they're going to give their opinion on it even if it's obviously nonsense or it turns out to be nothing. Channels like that, if you go back in their archives, are littered with "Will _________ (company) really do this?!?!?" sorts of videos that turned out to be entirely baseless. It's the same problem 24 hour news networks have-there isn't actually enough meaningful content to fill all of that time, so a good chunk of it is nonsensical filler designed as BREAKING NEWS, all the while hoping that you don't notice.

TL;DR: there are plenty of options, and more frequent (or louder or more popular or whatever) content is not always better content.

But who's to say that other sites are not just "nerds bleating"? For that matter, why is Fresh Baked Disney the only other site besides MiceChat reporting any updates on Toontown?

Sharon&Susan

But who's to say that other sites are not just "nerds bleating"? For that matter, why is Fresh Baked Disney the only other site besides MiceChat reporting any updates on Toontown?
Why are you white-knighting the people who thought the construction of a shade structure totally meant that Disney was going to spend millions on rerouting the monorail so hard?

PiratesMansion

Who's to say that Fresh Baked Disney is the only site reporting actual content? Are they actually delivering good content or are they just making the most videos and thus need something to talk about? As said before, more talking/noise does not necessarily mean more information.

It's perfectly possible that there's just not new to report. Additionally, I don't get the impression that most people are awaiting the reopening of Toontown with the level of enthusiasm that you are bringing to it, and that affects the level of coverage it's getting. Certainly that can be frustrating, when you are excited about something and your level of enthusiasm is not being matched by others, but it does happen.

I just don't get the impression that we're going to get a ton of new information about what they're doing with the land before they reopen (which, after all, is only a few months away). Perhaps some new updates on the ride itself to get some hype going, but I'm not anticipating, say, any bombshells or press packages about the land's reopening until it actually reopens. There's no indication that anything of substance will come before that.

mharrington

Who's to say that Fresh Baked Disney is the only site reporting actual content? Are they actually delivering good content or are they just making the most videos and thus need something to talk about? As said before, more talking/noise does not necessarily mean more information.

It's perfectly possible that there's just not new to report. Additionally, I don't get the impression that most people are awaiting the reopening of Toontown with the level of enthusiasm that you are bringing to it, and that affects the level of coverage it's getting. Certainly that can be frustrating, when you are excited about something and your level of enthusiasm is not being matched by others, but it does happen.

I just don't get the impression that we're going to get a ton of new information about what they're doing with the land before they reopen (which, after all, is only a few months away). Perhaps some new updates on the ride itself to get some hype going, but I'm not anticipating, say, any bombshells or press packages about the land's reopening until it actually reopens. There's no indication that anything of substance will come before that.

I didn't even know there were any updates until the video from Fresh Baked just popped up on YouTube. I've pretty much stopped looking at MiceChat for Disney park news.

What's more, given the updates, I doubt that the land is going to be ready any time soon, probably not until March at the absolute earliest. Maybe the Runaway Railway building is farther along and will be open sooner as rumored (which I find rather weird to not wait for the rest of the land, but that's just me), but it's hard to tell with the trees in the way, as well as the building being shown from the back.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
What's more, given the updates, I doubt that the land is going to be ready any time soon, probably not until March at the absolute earliest. Maybe the Runaway Railway building is farther along and will be open sooner as rumored (which I find rather weird to not wait for the rest of the land, but that's just me), but it's hard to tell with the trees in the way, as well as the building being shown from the back.
It's not about doubts and rumors, it's about what Disney has officially announced.

Disney100 Celebration at Disneyland Resort Begins Jan. 27, 2023

"While Mickey’s Toontown is slated to reopen for guests in spring 2023, we are pleased to announce that the new Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway attraction will open early as we kick off the Disney100 anniversary celebration on Jan. 27!"

MMRR opens Jan 27th and ToonTown opens Spring 2023 (which on a calendar can be anywhere between March 20th and June 21st, though Disney doesn't always follow calendar seasons). I would expect March or April.

mharrington

MMRR opens Jan 27th and ToonTown opens Spring 2023 (which on a calendar can be anywhere between March 20th and June 21st, though Disney doesn't always follow calendar seasons). I would expect March or April.

Considering how far they still have to go, given the latest update, I'm going to assume that it will be late April or even early May before the rest of the land is ready. I hope I'm mistaken, though.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm not talking about the ride, I'm talking about the rest of the land, scheduled to reopen in the spring.
Honestly except for the "park" picnic/play area with the tree the rest looks like they could finish in a matter of weeks. Heck they are already paving the entrance and walkways, which indicates large parts are finished. So I really don't think its going to take into April/May to finish the rest of the land. I suspect it'll be February/March reopening, basically shortly after the January 27th opening of MMRR.

But we're only 2.5 months from the opening of MMRR, time is going to fly-by real quick. And the reason for MMRR opening prior to the land is so they can add capacity back to start the retheme of Tiana.

CaptinEO

Honestly except for the "park" picnic/play area with the tree the rest looks like they could finish in a matter of weeks. Heck they are already paving the entrance and walkways, which indicates large parts are finished. So I really don't think its going to take into April/May to finish the rest of the land. I suspect it'll be February/March reopening, basically shortly after the January 27th opening of MMRR.

But we're only 2.5 months from the opening of MMRR, time is going to fly-by real quick. And the reason for MMRR opening prior to the land is so they can add capacity back to start the retheme of Tiana.
It's amazing to me the same company that is taking 5 years to clone a roller coaster on the east coast can redo an entire land and clone a major ride so fast on the west coast.

How does this even make sense? I feel Florida has been waiting 4 years for a Moana maze to finish construction while California moves at a rapid pace.

PiratesMansion

It's amazing to me the same company that is taking 5 years to clone a roller coaster on the east coast can redo an entire land and clone a major ride so fast on the west coast.

How does this even make sense? I feel Florida has been waiting 4 years for a Moana maze to finish construction while California moves at a rapid pace.
In fairness, Toontown's less of a redo and more of a fancified refurbishment. New Tomorrowland this isn't.

Almost nothing WDW does makes sense to me. Apart from the fortune they spent on resort infrastructure in the past decade. That was good.

Centauri Space Station

In fairness, Toontown's less of a redo and more of a fancified refurbishment. New Tomorrowland this isn't.

Almost nothing WDW does makes sense to me. Apart from the fortune they spent on resort infrastructure in the past decade. That was good.
Wdw also opened a lot of stuff recently. Guardians, Ratatouille, MMRR in the last 2 years. DL only had avengers campus. The Tron delay was partially Covid related and spreading costs slowing construction

PiratesMansion

Wdw also opened a lot of stuff recently. Guardians, Ratatouille, MMRR in the last 2 years. DL only had avengers campus. The Tron delay was partially Covid related and spreading costs slowing construction
And I'd say a lot of those things are at best qualified successes.

Ratatouille was overrated when it was just in France and has always been the worst of the trackless dark rides. They then bungled it tenfold by waiting until Rise and even MMRR opened, ensuring that it is seen as little more than a cute new ride. For the amount of money they spent on it, Rat should be more than that.

I'm sure MMRR is great fun, and I am looking forward to it opening at DLR. But there's no way they should have killed GMR for it when that park desperately needs capacity. They should have both.

I'm sure Guardians is fun, but it doesn't fit in Epcot. At least Disneyland built areas for Avengers and Star Wars even if most of what they wrought was questionable. Nothing of great value (sorry, goat and Heimlich stans) was taken out to make room for them.

Some of the Tron delay is covid, but most of it is laziness (and they got to close the railroad for like five years too, yay for more cost savings!). I think Disney should be embarrassed that Universal opened two excellent roller coasters in the time that it took to get Tron built, and SeaWorld and Busch Gardens several more. If they had opened it on a proper schedule, perhaps it would have wowed. But as someone who's done Tron and finds it to be a fine but shallow experience, I don't think most guests are going to find it worth the five year wait. Especially since Guardians has at least surface level similarities.

They also killed two well-regarded nighttime spectaculars for what are widely felt to be inferior replacements. I know HEA is coming back, and it was probably past time for Illuminations to go, but given how much $$$ they make with dining packages and so on, you would think they would try a little harder to make compelling nighttime shows. And in the case of Epcot, one that fits the park it's in.

Additionally, almost none of what they built recently was really designed for WDW but was instead copied and pasted from other resorts. That's not the sign of a resort that has strong convictions about what it is and what it stands for, it's a resort that's cutting coupons from the mailer.

The fact that many of those additions have some worth and redeeming qualities does not, to me, distract from the fact that many of them are lazy and not thought through to the level they should have been, IMO, for what is supposed to be the company's premier resort and proudly advertises itself as the world's best theme park experience. This is not something unique to WDW by any means, and more of Disney's parks are currently imperfect than not, but it particularly galls me in Florida where they absolutely have the best hand dealt to them but routinely choose instead, from my perspective, to proudly and smugly bungle it all the same.

So as to not end on a complete downer, I want to name one unqualified success in Florida from the past decade or so that I'd love to see DLR emulate: the investments in upgrading resort infrastructure over the past decade. It was much needed and long overdue, and desperately needs to be brought out west. WDW, especially right now, completely schools DLR in every way until you enter a theme park gate.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom