Refrigerators being temporarily removed from all rooms

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Why would you not assume there would be a fridge when it said there was one at the time you made your reservation. Any hotel I am staying at if it said they had a fridge, coffee maker or iorn ect. I would assume it would be there when I checked in. I would not even think about there being a massive recall .
Coffee makers and irons are not live or die necessities.

If a fridge is needed for medical needs then you can rest assured that I would be inquiring about it at every juncture.

ninjaprincesst

Coffee makers and irons are not live or die necessities.

If a fridge is needed for medical needs then you can rest assured that I would be inquiring about it at every juncture.

No one is goung to repetadly call a hotel over and over asking if the fridge they were told they would have at booking is still available. Why would you? They said they had it when you booked? I ask one time at booking and there would be no reason to ask again. My point is that the note in the room upon arrival is not sufficent they should have sent out emails or at the very least a mass press release so that affected people would know. Im sure 99% of people are like me and think whatever I will deal. I just think some advance notification to every one would have been nice.

hull327

This argument about mass emails or a fridge being on an amentities list means that it should be there upon arrival is ludicrous. This is just a temporary inconvenience and will be resolved in just a few months. When I looked at WDW's website I see pages full of rides, attractions, shows, parades, etc. Sometimes when I show up a ride is down for weeks because of maintenance. Are you saying Disney should send mass emails out when ride maintenance occurs like you are for these fridges? Should Disney "guarantee" all listed rides are functioning 100% of the time? Or would you rather they take a ride down on occasion to make sure they function safely for all riders like they're doing with these fridges.

MaryJaneP

Things change and are no longer what we expected. If an item is critical, repeated calls and notation of the necessity on the reservation may provide some reassurance. Not everyone agrees. I just can't imagine what sort of mass communication would satisfy notifying EVERY SINGLE GUEST, and being confident that the communication was received and UNDERSTOOD, that this process is being undertaken. I use certified mail and overnight deliveries requiring signatures, and these communications are returned unclaimed and unsigned. Now how many reservations would need this notice?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Things change and are no longer what we expected. If an item is critical, repeated calls and notation of the necessity on the reservation may provide some reassurance. Not everyone agrees. I just can't imagine what sort of mass communication would satisfy notifying EVERY SINGLE GUEST, and being confident that the communication was received and UNDERSTOOD, that this process is being undertaken. I use certified mail and overnight deliveries requiring signatures, and these communications are returned unclaimed and unsigned. Now how many reservations would need this notice?
Exactly...If the fridge is CRITICAL then you will do what ever is necessary to make sure it is there.
No one is goung to repetadly call a hotel over and over asking if the fridge they were told they would have at booking is still available. Why would you? They said they had it when you booked? I ask one time at booking and there would be no reason to ask again. My point is that the note in the room upon arrival is not sufficent they should have sent out emails or at the very least a mass press release so that affected people would know. Im sure 99% of people are like me and think whatever I will deal. I just think some advance notification to every one would have been nice.
I never said call repeatedly, but IF this is a CRITICAL need, then you should make it known at EVERY juncture in the process.

They will still provide a fridge to anyone requiring one for medical needs.

The Mom

Premium Member
I apologize for making a statement that could be perceived as insulting of an individual's parenting choices, resulting in a somewhat heated argument.

Now let us get back to complaining about the temporary removal of refrigerators in the majority of Disney Resorts.

JerseyDad

I'm offended we're not talking about refrigerators anymore.

....okay ...here we go: They are NOT refrigerators!!! ...they were coolers!! ;) ....and regardless of what they are ...they may or may not be in your room if you get to WDW in the near future.

....we seem to always get the room request that we want (ground floor, poolside..at POP) and since we drive, I'm just taking a fairly decent sized, wheeled, cooler with us. It's got a drain plug ...and if we actually need it, I can wheel it out the door to the landscape area to drain it ...because, there's no way that I will attempt to lift it to drain in the tub ...and chance hurting my back.

...there we go ...back on topic!!

kbmb

So, ignoring why a particular person might want a fridge......anyone who has been to a resort have any first hand experience on things?

-Kevin

Tom

Beta Return
....okay ...here we go: They are NOT refrigerators!!! ...they were coolers!! ;) ....and regardless of what they are ...they may or may not be in your room if you get to WDW in the near future.

....we seem to always get the room request that we want (ground floor, poolside..at POP) and since we drive, I'm just taking a fairly decent sized, wheeled, cooler with us. It's got a drain plug ...and if we actually need it, I can wheel it out the door to the landscape area to drain it ...because, there's no way that I will attempt to lift it to drain in the tub ...and chance hurting my back.

...there we go ...back on topic!!

Can you explain the technical differences between a fridge....and what Disney supposedly has? For those of us who don't design ice-boxes for a living.

luv

I apologize for making a statement that could be perceived as insulting of an individual's parenting choices, resulting in a somewhat heated argument.

Now let us get back to complaining about the temporary removal of refrigerators in the majority of Disney Resorts.
Coolers! Not fridges!! Honestly. You should just stop. Now I am offended! ;) ;) ;) (Not serious.)

Also not making fun of the person who pointed out that they weren't fridges. I suppose it is a fine line and not worth arguing over, but I was a wee bit fascinated to learn the difference. (Serious.)

Most of my Disney fridge/coolers have worked well, but one had to be switched out because it never got cold and another just froze everything we put in there. I didn't call about the freezing fridge/cooler, because I felt like I shouldn't complain about a pluckly little fridge/cooler that was trying so hard it over-succeeded. "It's working too well" seemed mean. :D

G00fyDad

Can you explain the technical differences between a fridge....and what Disney supposedly has? For those of us who don't design ice-boxes for a living.

A mini-fridge uses a freon type gas to cool the unit just like your standard fridge in your kitchen at home. The units most hotels, motels, etc... use are fan cooled units. They have one large or two smaller fans in them that cool the unit. These things are horrible and only keep the fridge just below room temp.

copcarguyp71

Well then we had a fridge for sure and not a cooler at CSR last year because honestly I needed to leave the water out for a bit before I could drink it without getting brain freeze. Maybe we were just lucky but that thing worked awesome!

hull327

Well then we had a fridge for sure and not a cooler at CSR last year because honestly I needed to leave the water out for a bit before I could drink it without getting brain freeze. Maybe we were just lucky but that thing worked awesome!
Same. We were just in CSR this past October and our water bottles were ice cold.

flynnibus

Premium Member

A typical household refrigerator uses a refrigerant that uses an evaporator to 'suck' heat from a space.. and then goes through a compressor and heat exchanger to transfer that heat back out to the external environment. Basically, it's a heat exchange system that relies on a refrigerant expanding and contracting to facilitate heat transfer - the vapor-compression cycle. Here, systems often use large condensor coils to help disipate the heat to the environment.. and in the case of your home AC system, even large fans to help extract the heat from the refrigerant (that unit outside your house)

The all electric coolers do not use a refrigerant that is cycled through the system - instead they use a solid state heat exchanger based on the Peltier Effect - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling - basically, it's like a electrically stimulated heat sink you would be familiar with on your PC, etc. The advantage is size, no refrigerant, no compressor.. the negative is it's not as efficient and in these designs can be succeptible to being constricted by the lack of heat dissipation on the hot side. Their ability to cool will be crippled if the hot side can't dissipate the heat.

JerseyDad

A true refrigerator (that we all are familiar with) uses a refrigerant gas and a compressor in a closed system. The refrigerant gas is passed through a compressor.(the heavy thing in the fridge that you hear when it cycles on and off). Then, the gas is compressed and thus the pressure on it increases. The temperature of this gas in turn increases as a result of the increased pressure and it takes the form of superheated vapor. The refrigerant passes through the heat exchanging pipes and releases its heat to the surroundings (air). Therefore, the refrigerant cools down due to the loss of heat to the surroundings (air).
As the refrigerant passes through a condenser, its temperature is reduced. BUT, the pressure on the refrigerant remains the same. Due to the reduction in its temperature, the refrigerant gets converted into its liquid form. Then, an expansion valve causes a sudden reduction in the pressure on the refrigerant. Some of the refrigerant evaporates and expands. This expansion results in the lowering of the temperature of the refrigerant. During the evaporation of the liquid refrigerant, it is present in the evaporator, which absorbs the heat from the food, beer, soda, or whatever you put in the refrigerator and basically.... cools them.
The refrigerant again heats up to form a gas. This refrigerant, which is now back in its gaseous form, again enters the compressor and the cycle starts all over again........

The "coolers" that were in WDW work using thermoelectric cooling with something called a Peltier Device / Peltier Effect or Principle. This is where there is a heat flux (transfer) between the junction of two different types of materials. A Peltier cooler is a solid-state (transistors, etc ...no moving parts) heat pump that transfers heat from one side of the device to the other, (using the electrical energy). The device has two sides, and when DC current flows through the device, it brings heat from one side to the other, so that one side gets cooler while the other gets hotter. The "hot" side is attached to a heat sink so that it remains at ambient temperature, while the cool side goes below room temperature. Then there are fans to move the air in the cooler and to remove heat. The main advantages of this type cooler (compared to a vapor-compression refrigerator as described above) is the lack of moving parts or circulating liquid, and its small size (due to lack of the bulky compressor and all the other components mentioned above). Its main disadvantage is high cost and poor power efficiency. The moving parts in a cooler such as this are basically the circulation / ventilation fans (very low voltage) that are used to move the heat away from the unit. The advantage of the "cooler" and technology used is that it's smaller (or can be), lighter ...and has no really important (expensive) moving parts. The disadvantage is that only a limited amount of heat flux (transfer) is able to be dissipated, and is not as efficient, in terms of performance ("Delta-T" or change in temperature), as vapor-compression systems [meaning ...they don't cool as efficiently or quickly]

.....as a side note ...I don't design these things for a living ...I'm a civil engineer by training and current practice ...but I did take Thermo-Dynamics in college ...and some of the basic laws of heat transfer are at play with refrigeration.

...hope this wasn't too complicated? I tend to be too technical sometimes ...but I tried to simplify as best as I could.

My DH is a refrigeration man, and the first time he seen the frig in the cabinets he knew they were going to have trouble with them. Refrigerators need air to work right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom