Refrigerators being temporarily removed from all rooms

MOXOMUMD

If I'm with the ole ball and chain and the rugrats, I need to have my meds refrigerated -

Screen-Shot-2013-04-09-at-3.06.50-PM.png
I still think of Billy Dee Williams every time I see this beer. You guys must have the same physician.

JerseyDad

.....I'm just amazed and amused that everyone is buying the line about the "manufacturer's defect". The 'defect' is that WDW put these coolers (they are NOT refrigerators) in cabinets that provide zero ventilation and ability to dissipate the huge amount of heat that they generate. The manufacturer's literature is SPECIFIC to state they do not belong in a cabinet ...but I guess no one read that part of the specification.

Tom

Beta Return
.....I'm just amazed and amused that everyone is buying the line about the "manufacturer's defect". The 'defect' is that WDW put these coolers (they are NOT refrigerators) in cabinets that provide zero ventilation and ability to dissipate the huge amount of heat that they generate. The manufacturer's literature is SPECIFIC to state they do not belong in a cabinet ...but I guess no one read that part of the specification.

Odd first post.

Do you have a link to the manufacturer's literature on the exact make and model of "coolers" Disney has in all of their non-DVC resort Hotel rooms?

ninjaprincesst

Ok, thanks for the rant. I fully expect my in-laws room, as well as ours to be affected by this. Personally I don't care about the fridge at all for me. Sure it's a minor inconvenience, but I'm not about to go complaining about it. I do think for the people that booked these room prior to the announcement, AND they have medical needs, Disney needs to step up to the plate. People booked these rooms with the knowledge that in room fridges were a listed amenity and would be made available, otherwise, in a medical case, people wouldn't have booked to begin with.

And BTW, I don't "thank" Disney for doing this.....I "expect" this from most every company, or at least in a perfect world we'd like to think that companies would make the correct choice when dealing with public safety issues. Put safety over profits right?

People have a right to disappointed, but they shouldn't get upset. Disney isn't doing this to make people's stays less "Magical"....they are doing it for safety.

I still haven't gotten an answer to.......does the Wilderness Lodge have a master fridge with the front desk for medical issues if people need to use it? As a last resort if an in-room fridge isn't available.

-Kevin[/quote
Yes, I called wilderness lodge and she said they do have a fridge that can be used as a last resort downstairs. She did not specify front desk, but I would assume that is where it is.

JerseyDad

Odd first post.

Do you have a link to the manufacturer's literature on the exact make and model of "coolers" Disney has in all of their non-DVC resort Hotel rooms?

.....actually ...yes I do ...it's an Avanti Superconductor "COOLER", and it's what was in our room at POP last August as part of the standard amenities, when they said that all the rooms will have refrigerators. I refer to it as a cooler because, by the technical "letter of the law" that is what they are. The contain NO refrigerant, nor do they have a compressor ...which is what makes up the prime 'guts' of a real refrigerator. In fact I was told in the exact words, "they are really more of a cooler and not a refrigerator" by the person at the concierge desk in POP when I complained that the "cooler" was not getting cold ...heck ...it was miles from even getting cool!!

The problem I see, based on manufacturer's specifications ....is that these coolers really are not made (or recommended) for 'built in" installation. (as is the case where WDW put them in cabinets ....some that were fashioned into the existing furniture by simply removing drawers from dressers). The manufacturer makes it perfectly clear that adequate ventilation is a MUST for proper operation ...but also makes it clear that in-cabinet installations are not recommended ("This appliance is designed to be free standing only, and should not be recessed or built-in (Fully recessed))".....as seen on page 7 of the above link.

Knowing that people that buy these are going to do basically ...what they want ...they also have installation instructions for those persons that want to go against the recommendation and put it in a cabinet. That info on cabinet installation can be found here. You can clearly see that a pretty elaborate system of openings and ventilation paths is required to allow for proper (and I would also guess ...safe) operation.

The other issue that should have been examined (aside from ventilation) is that they emit a lot of heat into the room in which they are located. Therefore ...the A/C unit for the room needs to operate that much harder to offset the generated heat. I would venture a guess that the compressor in the A/C unit is eating more electricity than these "energy efficient" coolers would be thought to be saving.

....another item I just glanced over plays directly into the concerns of those that are worried that they will not have a refrigerator for their medications. Even if these WERE still in the rooms ...the storage of their medications within them would be a questionable venture since on Page 4 of the product guide it clearly says:

"THIS REFRIGERATOR IS NOT DESIGNED FOR THE STORAGE OF MEDICINE OR OTHER MEDICAL PRODUCTS"

.....so ...that's another issue all by itself..

SherlockWayne

.....actually ...yes I do ...it's an Avanti Superconductor "COOLER", and it's what was in our room at POP last August as part of the standard amenities, when they said that all the rooms will have refrigerators. I refer to it as a cooler because, by the technical "letter of the law" that is what they are. The contain NO refrigerant, nor do they have a compressor ...which is what makes up the prime 'guts' of a real refrigerator. In fact I was told in the exact words, "they are really more of a cooler and not a refrigerator" by the person at the concierge desk in POP when I complained that the "cooler" was not getting cold ...heck ...it was miles from even getting cool!!

The problem I see, based on manufacturer's specifications ....is that these coolers really are not made (or recommended) for 'built in" installation. (as is the case where WDW put them in cabinets ....some that were fashioned into the existing furniture by simply removing drawers from dressers). The manufacturer makes it perfectly clear that adequate ventilation is a MUST for proper operation ...but also makes it clear that in-cabinet installations are not recommended ("This appliance is designed to be free standing only, and should not be recessed or built-in (Fully recessed))".....as seen on page 7 of the above link.

Knowing that people that buy these are going to do basically ...what they want ...they also have installation instructions for those persons that want to go against the recommendation and put it in a cabinet. That info on cabinet installation can be found here. You can clearly see that a pretty elaborate system of openings and ventilation paths is required to allow for proper (and I would also guess ...safe) operation.

The other issue that should have been examined (aside from ventilation) is that they emit a lot of heat into the room in which they are located. Therefore ...the A/C unit for the room needs to operate that much harder to offset the generated heat. I would venture a guess that the compressor in the A/C unit is eating more electricity than these "energy efficient" coolers would be thought to be saving.

....another item I just glanced over plays directly into the concerns of those that are worried that they will not have a refrigerator for their medications. Even if these WERE still in the rooms ...the storage of their medications within them would be a questionable venture since on Page 4 of the product guide it clearly says:

"THIS REFRIGERATOR IS NOT DESIGNED FOR THE STORAGE OF MEDICINE OR OTHER MEDICAL PRODUCTS"

.....so ...that's another issue all by itself..
That's an interesting find! I wonder if the point of contention is that installation documents language. In the installation guide, it mentions dust buildup and shortened operational life as consequences of building in, but not necessarily fire. Now I saw some references to that in the manual, but based on the verbiage of installing in cabinetry, I get no indication that the manufacturer sees it as a fire hazard. I guess the question is did Disney provide enough ventilation, despite recommendations against installation.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I've never seen these units anywhere but in cabinets. They are built for the hospitality industry - in some installations the door lock I'd actually integrated with the hotels checkin system and can be controlled remotely

flynnibus

Premium Member
And the 'not for medical...' Is just standard disclaimer stuff. Just like you see 'not for commercial use' on things because they don't have the duty cycle or approvals necessary.

Tigger1988

....technically it is not a refrigerator (not in my book ...or a lot of other engineers I would guess) ...unless of course someone feels that anything that cools something else is "a refrigerator".
Apparently the people who made it and wrote the manual feel it's a refrigerator.

JerseyDad

Apparently the people who made it and wrote the manual feel it's a refrigerator.

.....I'd say that diet soda was a cure for heart disease if I thought it would help it sell. Anyone can call it anything that so pleases them .....but to me, I call it problematic with too many external conditions that affect it's intended performance.

MaryJaneP

.....I'd say that diet soda was a cure for heart disease if I thought it would help it sell. Anyone can call it anything that so pleases them .....but to me, I call it problematic with too many external conditions that affect it's intended performance.

Indubitably

ninjaprincesst

I can purchase a cheap coffee maker and much better coffee than Disney provides at any discount store for $15.00 and bring it to the room easily, a mini-fridge not so much.

But... all the "concern" over the mini-fridges is udderly rediculous. Collapsable coolers are cheap, portable and can be filled with ice to keep your items much colder than the little refrigeraters do but are not quite as convinient. We are plannin to take a few gallon size freezer bags (to keep our stuff dry as the ice melts) and one of our coolers just in case our room at the DBW is affected, not a big deal other than a small inconvienience in the name of overall safety.

The concern for me is not for myself, if we don't get the requested fridge for our meds no big deal, we will deal with it. What I don't like is the method of notification just a note left in the room. The vast majority od WDW hotel guests never get on any of these web sites and they have no clue this is going on. I think Disney could at least do a mass email notification or something. There are a lot of people who will no nothing about this and show up with food or medications only to get to there rooms and find out there is no fridge.

Tom

Beta Return
The concern for me is not for myself, if we don't get the requested fridge for our meds no big deal, we will deal with it. What I don't like is the method of notification just a note left in the room. The vast majority od WDW hotel guests never get on any of these web sites and they have no clue this is going on. I think Disney could at least do a mass email notification or something. There are a lot of people who will no nothing about this and show up with food or medications only to get to there rooms and find out there is no fridge.

I agree completely. If a fridge was listed as an amenity at the time of your booking, there needs tone one in the room. People rely significantly on hotel amenities, and the lit of amenities often weigh heavily on a decision to stay at a specific hotel or room type.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Anybody that needs a fridge for medication should have enough travel sense to check into something like this.

To just assume that there is going to be one is foolish at best.

I_heart_Tigger

I require a fridge because I like cold water and pop. So, I'd go somewhere that had one. Easy peasy.

I do as well, unfortunately the Disney fridges in my experience have never actually kept anything "cold" they kind of prevented them from getting too warm but I have never had a Disney fridge that kept anything cold enough that I would consider it a refreshing drink.

Just FYI - when I say "in my experience" I mean in my stays with fridges at CBR, Beach, POR, POP and ASMU.

ninjaprincesst

Anybody that needs a fridge for medication should have enough travel sense to check into something like this.

To just assume that there is going to be one is foolish at best.

Why would you not assume there would be a fridge when it said there was one at the time you made your reservation. Any hotel I am staying at if it said they had a fridge, coffee maker or iorn ect. I would assume it would be there when I checked in. I would not even think about there being a massive recall .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom