• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

rickdrat

Recent Harmonious test shows impressive capabilities of the lighting systems​

Moving light technology is over 40 years old. I'm not certain I'd refer to this particular test as "impressive". Now, a massive water curtain that makes everyone forgot they're there.... that would be impressive.

durangojim

We came in first from the Imagination side, and (a few nights later) the middle. That first impression when walking from the Imag side is/was absolutely visually jarring for me. As I’ve said, I wasn’t even looking for them but they immediately grabbed my eye.

Great for 15 minutes does not cancel out being an eyesore for the other 23 hours and 45 minutes.
We first came in from the International Gateway and I had forgotten they were there. When we got down the hill by the UK and I looked at the lagoon I was shocked how large and ugly they were. That imagineer was right, telephoto lenses don't give an accurate representation of how large they are. They're bigger and uglier in person!

durangojim

Such a horrible way to implement a new show. At MK they attempted to hide the DLP projectors for the castle as well as having the fireworks hidden either on roofs or behind the park. Here they stick it in our face and ruin the view. I've seen videos of them testing the fountains and hate to say, but it was a joke at the time.

It would have been easy for them to pour concrete pylons in the lagoon under water, and drop-in install a raise/lower modular show platform that could support shows like World of Color. Re-use the platform for new custom EPCOT shows. How much $$$ would that have saved?!? Not to mention it could be hidden at all times except when raised for maintenance, and even then we're talking a few feet above the water. For the shows, all we'd see are the small flat fireworks barges for the night that could be brought as before. Can still run fountains from this platform during the day.

[Edit] I suppose we should have knew this would happen after the Rivers of Light fiasco at AK. This is so over the top in design as others have pointed out, for 15 minutes. Maybe it's not too late to get their money back on those barges? 🙄 😁
Is it possible the screens and lights will be used every night starting at dusk and then the show will start?
I was also bummed to see that none of the torches were lit in the evening when we were at EPCOT. I thought for sure they would still do that regardless if there was a night time show. I can't understand why they're not doing it.

Father Robinson

Ladies and Gentlemen..EPCOT welcomes you, and we invite you to join us for Harmonious! A celebration of Disney music from around the globe! The show can be experienced all around World Showcase Lagoon. In order for you to fully appreciate tonight's performance, you must have a spot in World Showcase Plaza. Prime viewing locations for the remaining screens are available all around World Showcase promenade. For your safety, and that of our guests and cast members, please watch your step, as the pavement is probably still wet from the daytime fountain effect...

wutisgood

More referring to the sheer number of them, and their use out in the open. I think this this is going to be an incredible light show, regardless of all the other issues.
I mean plenty of stage shows have higher density lighting and it's a really big lagoon. I imagine there is other lighting not mounted in the lagoon that will be a part of this.

mnelson3

More referring to the sheer number of them, and their use out in the open. I think this this is going to be an incredible light show, regardless of all the other issues.

Not sure if you have checked out Shanghai’s new show but they have a ton of lighting and lasers! I hope the lighting in Harmonious looks like that! Wouldn’t mind their new light post RGB lighting as well used around WS. But I don’t think anything outside of the lagoon is planned.

MichRX7

The thing I found most impressive is the tilt on the spots. I run a Christmas light show at my house, and have 4 small moving heads with a tilt of 240 degrees, and a pan of 540 degrees. If sitting flat on the ground mine would tilt about 30 degrees below the horizon (straight forward) up and over to the same on the other side. Those looked like they could go over 360 degrees and are massive (of course, I don't have quite the budget that Disney does). And the synchronization on them is fantastic.

TikibirdLand

The thing I found most impressive is the tilt on the spots. I run a Christmas light show at my house, and have 4 small moving heads with a tilt of 240 degrees, and a pan of 540 degrees. If sitting flat on the ground mine would tilt about 30 degrees below the horizon (straight forward) up and over to the same on the other side. Those looked like they could go over 360 degrees and are massive (of course, I don't have quite the budget that Disney does). And the synchronization on them is fantastic.
These are likely running via DMX. Light control boards have enough capability now for each to have their own channel. I expect that Broadway shows have this many along with rock concerts. Would love to know the models they're using. I do agree the one impressive part of these is they've got to be more waterproof than the average mover; they're gonna be sprayed with water almost constantly.

MichRX7

These are likely running via DMX. Light control boards have enough capability now for each to have their own channel. I expect that Broadway shows have this many along with rock concerts. Would love to know the models they're using. I do agree the one impressive part of these is they've got to be more waterproof than the average mover; they're gonna be sprayed with water almost constantly.

Yes I am sure they are DMX, mine run DMX as well. Had to build my own waterproof enclosure for all the snow we get here in Michigan. Between the nightly shows and all the summer rain in Florida, those things better be able to work underwater.

I posted over in chit-chat about an upcoming project I am doing (for fun, and free). The movers are great for adding effects to a song, especially an emotional or uplifting section. I also use them at times to "be" a character on a stage themselves moving them specific patterns and such. It is a bit of a pain in my software, but the looks on families faces as their kids dance and sing in my yard is priceless. Mine reach from the 2nd story peak of my house out into my yard. I'd be calling down aliens if I had those, lol...

pdude81

Yes I am sure they are DMX, mine run DMX as well. Had to build my own waterproof enclosure for all the snow we get here in Michigan. Between the nightly shows and all the summer rain in Florida, those things better be able to work underwater.

I posted over in chit-chat about an upcoming project I am doing (for fun, and free). The movers are great for adding effects to a song, especially an emotional or uplifting section. I also use them at times to "be" a character on a stage themselves moving them specific patterns and such. It is a bit of a pain in my software, but the looks on families faces as their kids dance and sing in my yard is priceless. Mine reach from the 2nd story peak of my house out into my yard. I'd be calling down aliens if I had those, lol...
Ya'll gon make me go all out, up in here.

WillWrambles

In the Parks
No
Yeah that happens when your wife of 23 years drops dead in front of you and your then 10 year old son. Raising kids becomes more important that posting in a Disney World Forum.

Cheers
giphy.gif

Coffeeroasters

I’m sorry for your loss. But don’t try and guilt trip me.

I stand by my comment aside from the gap in posts.
Thank you Marin, but maybe think outside the box before responding you never know what has happened.

I get the dislike of what is going on in the lagoon, but there is no way to hide a project this big. Unfortunately there are NDA’s in my life, I will leave that so I don’t get in trouble. Just wait to pass judgement on the project.

I have alway been an optimist in life looking forward to the future, even when death is involved. It is exciting to see the changes coming!

I still miss 20,000 Leagues at the MK. But what we have there now is pretty nice don’t you think?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom