• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
So you never take photos of the family in front of the lagoon? I think at least half my Epcot photos include the lagoon. And I do take pics of the countries from across the water.

I like to look all around wherever I’m walking. In the parks, along the streets, walking through the woods. It would be like going to DC and not looking up at the Capitol, or the Monuments. Or going to NYC and looking along Broadway to Times Square.

But each to their own.
I have dozens of photos already of that spot from when the kids went with us. I have thousands of Disney pictures. On our last trip a few weeks ago, I took pictures of the room (first stay at BLT), and nothing else. It's just my DW and I, and I now only take pictures of new things, and there was nothing new opened this trip. We'll be there in October, and take pictures of Rat, but it looks like that's about the only new thing that will be open.

We have visited Disney literally hundreds of times, and so, don't look around as much as we used to. We know what's there. Since I live near DC, when we visit downtown, yes, we look around, and take more pictures, because it is still new to us. Same would happen with NYC. Don't get me wrong. We absolutely love going to WDW, but just want to experience everything, rather than keeping our phones out for pictures all of the time. We only take our phones out when we absolutely have to.

I totally get that y'all from the UK don't get to visit as often, and have a different view of things, and I completely understand the consternation with the lagoon. That's why I said that we are in the minority of guests there.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Oh sure! We went from maybe EF or fast tacking Harm this summer, maybe even a July 4th Tag if we have a miracle, back down to the gutter! And this week was going so well on here.......
Well rather than "back down to the gutter" let's just call it a "difference of opinion" based on what we're seeing so far.
With that being said, you're entitled to your pie in the sky outlook and I won't fault you for it. 🙃

nickys

Premium Member
I have dozens of photos already of that spot from when the kids went with us. I have thousands of Disney pictures. On our last trip a few weeks ago, I took pictures of the room (first stay at BLT), and nothing else. It's just my DW and I, and I now only take pictures of new things, and there was nothing new opened this trip. We'll be there in October, and take pictures of Rat, but it looks like that's about the only new thing that will be open.

We have visited Disney literally hundreds of times, and so, don't look around as much as we used to. We know what's there. Since I live near DC, when we visit downtown, yes, we look around, and take more pictures, because it is still new to us. Same would happen with NYC. Don't get me wrong. We absolutely love going to WDW, but just want to experience everything, rather than keeping our phones out for pictures all of the time. We only take our phones out when we absolutely have to.

I totally get that y'all from the UK don't get to visit as often, and have a different view of things, and I completely understand the consternation with the lagoon. That's why I said that we are in the minority of guests there.
I guess I can’t “experience” something without looking around. To me, not looking around means I’m missing things. All the “smelling the roses” things mean I am looking around. Whether or not I’m taking photos is immaterial. But yes, I do take a gazillion photos and also take our time taking it all in, because we have that luxury of time. By the time we get back I’ll want to take the photos all over again. Six years is a long time.

MrPromey

I just got back from visiting Epcot this past Sunday. The tacos and stargate are more hideous in person than in the photos. It's physically jarring to be enjoying a stroll around the lagoon, look towards what would normally be across the water at the opposing country, and get stopped in your tracks by giant black blobs instead. When approached by a PPP, I asked it he could take one without the tacos in it, and he actually got upset with me for asking. Seriously?!

Which brings me to another question: I'm seeing posts regarding the cleanliness of the lagoon water. One of my favorite stops, especially on a hot day, is in Canada at the bottom of the falls (entrance to the movie). I will stand there and let the mist cool me off, and now I'm starting to second guess myself. Is this the same nasty water you speak of that's in the lagoon?

The thing with the lagoon water (and I'm one of the people who talked about it) is just that it has a natural bottom. It's isn't a cement pond. The water isn't and can't be treated. One part of it is built up on compressed natural debris that had filled in a sink hole many, many, many years ago. That area, if you were to step in it would probably be muck.

It's not like the lagoon is full of gray water or anything but it isn't exactly what I'd consider "clean" either. It'll have algae, bacteria - same stuff you'd find in semi-standing water all over Florida.

I wouldn't be afraid of it but I also wouldn't want to be doused with it.

Last edited:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I guess I can’t “experience” something without looking around. To me, not looking around means I’m missing things. All the “smelling the roses” things mean I am looking around. Whether or not I’m taking photos is immaterial. But yes, I do take a gazillion photos and also take our time taking it all in, because we have that luxury of time. By the time we get back I’ll want to take the photos all over again. Six years is a long time.
Ok, I will say the one thing we do is take our time and smell the roses. I’m really sorry that the pictures won’t be the same with the barges out there. I know it will affect a lot of people, and I wish Disney had done something different.

MrPromey

Yeah the "go away" paint hasn't really been working too well recently. Worked int eh old days to some extent when it was just hiding something right on the edge or backstage, but things like Guardians, Rat and this - nope.

If you'd told me a decade ago that Disney was going to try to pull a Rip Ride Rocket, I'd have said you were nuts. I'd have said that Disney would never do that because they actually care about atmosphere and immersion and this is one of the things that will always make them better than the competition.

Today, that kind of news wouldn't even make me blink.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still come on here and whine about it but it wouldn't shock me in the least.

So weird how new Universal is becoming more and more like old Disney and new Disney is becoming more and more like everybody else.*

*Except of course, their rock work. If this whole theme park thing doesn't pan out for them, Disney definitely has a future in commercial landscaping and koy pond installation.

... on second thought, they might not do such a good job of hiding the workings of the fountain features. :/

Last edited:

mnelson3

So should we be expecting EF testing soon? From the 50th thread it’s sounding like fireworks are a go for summer. “Currently”.

Club34

How did this ever get green-lit? Seriously?

The last and final barge to be positioned...

1617852369441.png

owlsandcoffee

I think the larger (and sadder) truth is that most people who go to Disney World just don't really care about this stuff. They want to see Elsa and Remy and Rey and watch fireworks. There's nothing inherently wrong or lesser about that, but I do wish more people engaged with the parks on a critical level. I shouldn't fault people for being happy about something.

marni1971

WDW History nut
Premium Member
I think the larger (and sadder) truth is that most people who go to Disney World just don't really care about this stuff. They want to see Elsa and Remy and Rey and watch fireworks. There's nothing inherently wrong or lesser about that, but I do wish more people engaged with the parks on a critical level. I shouldn't fault people for being happy about something.
Society in general is more dumbed down than even 30 years ago.

MrPromey

Society in general is more dumbed down than even 30 years ago.

My concern is the slipery-slope that people hate to hear about - the one we are at least half way down at this point. Soarin' sort of started it a long while back and as we have seen, they've been pushing the envelope on what they can get away with quite a bit as of late.

I hope they've gotten (and continue to get) enough negative feedback in the most dramatic ways possible on this whole thing with the show equipment to at least give them pause for the next atmosphere/sightline destroying "feature" they're considering for any of the parks.

It may be too late for the lagoon at Epcot and obviously the new vehicle assembly building isn't going anywhere but maybe it isn't too late for wiser minds to step in for other places around property that we care about.

We've seen bad trends with stuff come and go. Hopefully, these recent things will amount to this generation's version of the Swan/Dolphin and not something that signals a permanent future direction the company movies in.

Last edited:

SpectroMagician

This looks absolutely horrendous. Way more offensive than historically accurate depictions of shrunken heads. Whoever thought this was a good idea should be fired.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom