News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

wutisgood

Claiming people will get fired or something should get cancelled because it looks so bad with limited testing info is a great way to look like a 🤡 later. My worry with this initially was that the fountains weren't going to be big enough. The lagoon is huge and this show needs wow factor everywhere it can get it. The big problem for rivers of light was that the fountains and the fire thing were not grand enough to carry the show. Given how large the lagoon is and the limitations of how much they can fit on the barges I expect fireworks will still carry this. This show has larger set pieces than illuminations did so unless they cheap out on pyro I expect it to be fine. Also those screens are gonna be bright AF. You can see screens through some water. It's like some people also don't seem to understand that a show gets programmed to balance the various elements.

I understand concerns about sightlines being a concern and maybe ip/music selection, but I would be very surprised if didn't couldn't deliver the wow factor overall. I will be interested to see why we really need the barges with these permanent screens. I feel like the central structure could have been motorized to lie flat during the day, permanent fountains could be installed that sit right on the water, the arms could have been something that also could lie flat as well on smaller permanent platforms, and water screens could be sufficient in place of the smaller screens. I mean they wouldn't have to go full world of color here and sink everything during the day to at least minimize the effect on the sightlines.

GimpYancIent

Old show business saying "The Show Must Go On!" Harmonious will happen despite all the mentioned issues. With such a low bar for expectations it may enjoy a degree of success, or, maybe not. I don't hear a lot of enthusiasm for from the public.

TTA94

Claiming people will get fired or something should get cancelled because it looks so bad with limited testing info is a great way to look like a 🤡 later. My worry with this initially was that the fountains weren't going to be big enough. The lagoon is huge and this show needs wow factor everywhere it can get it. The big problem for rivers of light was that the fountains and the fire thing were not grand enough to carry the show. Given how large the lagoon is and the limitations of how much they can fit on the barges I expect fireworks will still carry this. This show has larger set pieces than illuminations did so unless they cheap out on pyro I expect it to be fine. Also those screens are gonna be bright AF. You can see screens through some water. It's like some people also don't seem to understand that a show gets programmed to balance the various elements.

I understand concerns about sightlines being a concern and maybe ip/music selection, but I would be very surprised if didn't couldn't deliver the wow factor overall. I will be interested to see why we really need the barges with these permanent screens. I feel like the central structure could have been motorized to lie flat during the day, permanent fountains could be installed that sit right on the water, the arms could have been something that also could lie flat as well on smaller permanent platforms, and water screens could be sufficient in place of the smaller screens. I mean they wouldn't have to go full world of color here and sink everything during the day to at least minimize the effect on the sightlines.

I agree. My thoughts as far as the fountains are somewhere between RoL and WoC. More impressive than Rivers of Light but not a big wow factor like WoC and where the fountains carry the show.

Main highlights overall id say fireworks, the led screens and lighting. Doesn’t seem to be any lack of lighting on those barges. In Disney’s mind the moving Arms will probably be the big main “Wow” factor. I personally don’t see it being like that, and find them to rather weird like sticks with fountains and lights on them moving around. Not saying it won’t be cool to see, but I wouldn’t say a mind blowing wow factor.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Bob says thank you.

RoE had “wow” factors too remember. This show will too. But it should not have done it at the expense of the bigger picture.

RoE did it without dumping on Showcase.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

Exactly! As someone who was there on the night it debuted, (was there with @Figments Friend and a few others). Both the sudden silence, groans, and the instant negative reaction once that song blared out after everyone was initially enjoying the show before that ending was deafening. That conclusion/message seemed very clear to me, seemed like a slap in the face to EPCOT’s original vision, designers, and fans than anything else. The show was basically, “Hey remember what you all loved about EPCOT? Well screw that, The “whole new world” (formed by free-spirited creativity ‘apparently’.. still doesn’t make any sense to me) is full of movie IP tie-ins. Add the tacked on out of context quote from Walt about EPCOT always evolving or whatever. Man, that left such a negative taste in our mouths, we basically marched towards Living with the Land afterwards to cleanse our mind from that.
My thoughts too. I was also there for the EF opening night. The show had its moments. The kites were great. Hearing those classic songs on the lagoon was fantastic (or at least those 2.3 second snippets of songs)

But from the opening children voices you knew this was going to be EPCOT Forever Gone. Their big play is to replace EPCOT with another park while tapping into the infinite fan cred of EPCOT Center.

A Whole New World isn't a sudden change of tone in EF. It is the central message of the show. A show which, like the park and its marketing, goes all out to pay lip service to classic EPCOT while replacing it with something else. They stick the final dagger in the park's heart then dress themselves in its scalp.

There is a clear similarity between EF opening with classic EPCOT imagery and quotes, only for it to descent into IP peddling, and Epcot21 opening with a restored entrance and visually quoting classic EPCOT only for it to be about IP driven experiences.

In the Parks
Yes
Dollywood has announced drones will be a part of their summer nighttime show. But EPCOT gets squirting tacos!!!!
I envision Harmonious to be like the squirting flower trick. Guests gather around the lagoon, there is some monologue about leaning-in to smell the flower(s), and then whoosh, the whole crowd is soaked. So why did they choose tacos ?

Brenthodge

I envision Harmonious to be like the squirting flower trick. Guests gather around the lagoon, there is some monologue about leaning-in to smell the flower(s), and then whoosh, the whole crowd is soaked. So why did they choose tacos ?
I hear there might still be some squirting flowers laying around they might want to bring over to drive home your point.

Brenthodge

At this point if you offered me a full day in Dollywood or a full day in Epcot, I might take Dollywood. It used to be a small, regional park, but its expansions and cleanliness are a model for the industry.
At least they know who they are, who they want to be, and what steps to take to remain clearly focused on that as they grow and expand unlike the seemingly rudderless ship Epcot has become.

fgmnt

The current plan is to run Forever first. Then Harmungous.

There is currently no date for either.
Wonder if they are bullish on nighttime entertainment able to restart. This makes sense if they expect to move forward in August, but the embarrassment would have to compound if they couldn't have the ring of fire ready by October.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
At this point if you offered me a full day in Dollywood or a full day in Epcot, I might take Dollywood. It used to be a small, regional park, but its expansions and cleanliness are a model for the industry.
I like to use hyperbole often too, but Dollywood or Epcot? Dollywood just isn't for me, I'm not a coaster fan.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom