News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Chi84

Premium Member
He doesn't need that vote while it's a field of 10 because those people are always going to be more anti-Trump than pro-DeSantis.

Phase 1: Get through the early debates as the clear #2. This is about name ID more than anything else. It's "no press is bad press" time.

Phase 2: Other non-Trump candidates drop out after failing to crack double-digit support in the early primaries.

Phase 3: Consolidate normieCon and #NeverTrump support and pray that it's bigger than 50%.

Phase 4: Absorb incoming fire from Trump, which will have the benefit of making DeSantis appear reasonable by comparison in preparation for a pivot in the General.

Phase 5: Pray that Trump doesn't go nuclear with a third party campaign.
This is along the lines of what I was trying to articulate earlier.

WDWHero

“Ignore” is an excellent option if someone provokes you to the point of insults or personal attacks.

Well-articulated and honest opinions need to be politely considered if you want true discussion to occur. At the very least it makes you examine your own position a bit more thoroughly.
Eh, there’s some in here who try to sound smart by being devils advocate for the sake of arguing and it’s not really worth engaging because it takes to off-topic territory anyways. It’s more for my own sanity.

WDWHero

I don't use ignore because it reminds me about why the real world is trending the way it is. Despite the idiocy of some of the arguments, the fact that they're participating in the discussion means that even "our idiots" are more informed than a lot of people in the real word.
It just keeps me on track more, that’s all

hopemax

You’re confusing the hell out of me…
…and I DIG IT!!!
I mean I followed up reading this thread with a visit to my Twitter account. I only follow 19 people who are mostly local journalists, or EpiTwitter and a few about Ukraine. But just from those 19, I was exposed to these fine words from a well-known actor “I’m particularly grateful that he is a guardian of free speech in the midst of the most insidious and treacherous assault on our constitutional rights since our nation’s founding.” And someone who believes the voting age should be raised to 21, trying to have a serious discussion with a satire account that was arguing that it should be raised to 25. But thanks to places like WDWMagic, I have some pre-exposure to draw from. It’s a Brave New World out there. I should probably read that at some point.

Sir_Cliff

On Meet The Press today they discussed DeSantis' feud with Disney with GOP criticisms of DeSantis, including from Marco Rubio which I hadn't seen before. The gist of the conversation is that the feud is not going well for the governor.

On the same note, has anyone else noticed that Fox News suddenly has a lot fewer DeSantis-Disney World stories on their home page?

WDWHero

On Meet The Press today they discussed DeSantis' feud with Disney with GOP criticisms of DeSantis, including from Marco Rubio which I hadn't seen before. The gist of the conversation is that the feud is not going well for the governor.

On the same note, has anyone else noticed that Fox News suddenly has a lot fewer DeSantis-Disney World stories on their home page?
They will all fall in line when the time comes

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
If the original EPCOT project ever got off the ground I would assume that city would have had a general government and Disney would have lost control. At that point they would have likely annexed the land outside of RCID as well but who knows since it never happened. For comparison when Celebration was developed I believe the land was annexed out of RCID.
I know this was 15 pages ago, but this thread moves fast.

Not 100% on this, but I believe Walt’s intention for original EPCoT was that residents would be given housing with the expectation that their home would be regularly updated with emerging technology and whatever else the “experimental prototype community” needed. They would be required to hold productive jobs within EPCoT for the duration of their residency. At such time as they were no longer employed there, they would have to leave.

Seems like a similar arrangement to the current residents of the District writ large as a company town. (I can’t see how that would possibly have been tenable long-term, but I believe that was Walt’s vision.)

Rich Brownn

I know this was 15 pages ago, but this thread moves fast.

Not 100% on this, but I believe Walt’s intention for original EPCoT was that residents would be given housing with the expectation that their home would be regularly updated with emerging technology and whatever else the “experimental prototype community” needed. They would be required to hold productive jobs within EPCoT for the duration of their residency. At such time as they were no longer employed there, they would have to leave.

Seems like a similar arrangement to the current residents of the District writ large as a company town. (I can’t see how that would possibly have been tenable long-term, but I believe that was Walt’s vision.)
It wouldn't have been tenable, as the imagineers quickly figured out... as one said "you cannot experiment with people's lives." Its was a very very blue sky idea when Walt died (the famous painting was literally done in 1 day to serve as part of props for the film) and not much practical thought had gone into it at the time.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It wouldn't have been tenable, as the imagineers quickly figured out... as one said "you cannot experiment with people's lives." Its was a very very blue sky idea when Walt died (the famous painting was literally done in 1 day to serve as part of props for the film) and not much practical thought had gone into it at the time.
He would have bankrupted them had they ever started this…

Parliament/Phillip Morris probably saved Disney from that

StaceyH_SD

Paying taxes to yourself isn't paying taxes. The old Reedy Creek District meant Disney kept the tax money they paid.
And what did those taxes do? Paid for municipal services (roads, electricty, waste management, EMS, etc). In addition, Disney pays county property taxes to Orange and Osceola and whatever business taxes they’re required to pay to the state.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Paying taxes to yourself isn't paying taxes. The old Reedy Creek District meant Disney kept the tax money they paid.
Not in the slightest bit…it means they built stuff and paid to maintain it. They just got to finance it with public bonds. Like any other municipality in the country

That’s the “special treatment”

It wasn’t given out to stockholders

Last edited:

peter11435

The didn’t only pay taxes to Reedy Creek. They paid all required local taxes to the respective local governments just like any other landowner. These taxes were not to themselves.

They also paid taxes to RCID in addition to those taxes. So they paid MORE taxes than any other landowner. And those taxes to RCID were used to fund municipal infrastructure and services. The money did not go back to Disney. It went to fund infrastructure and services that would have otherwise been the responsibility of the local governments and funded from their general tax funds.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom