News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

danlb_2000

Premium Member
"Um, but you know, you did have the situation with our Parents Rights in Education Bill. And the thing is, is, you know, when you're doing some of this stuff, you know, what happens with leftists and media, they like to distort, they like to create false narratives. Um, for whatever reason, Disney got on that bandwagon, they demagogued the bill, they lied about it, whatever, came out against it. . . . And I'm just thinking to myself, you're a corporation based in Burbank, California, and you're gonna marshal your economic might to attack the parents of my state? Uh, we view that as a provocation and we're going to fight back against that. But honestly, even in spite of that, um, if none of that had happened, uh, this is the right thing to do. Just on the basis of those Zoom videos that you saw. . . . These are videos of very high up people in this corporation in Disney, and they're talking about their intentional agenda to inject sexuality and the programming that's provided to our youngest kids . . . . I'm just not comfortable having that type of, of, of agenda get special treatment in my state. I just can't do it. And so, and so the bill here sets the marker."

—Ron DeSantis, April 2022

(The transcript is automatically generated so may contain a couple of errors, but you can watch the video for yourself.)

We also have this quote from Randy Fine who submitted the original bill to the house...

""Had Disney not said 'we are going to use our special privileges as a guest in your state to overturn a bill that the legislature has duly passed [and] the governor has duly signed,' people would not have started looking at special districts. The issue [rose] to the surface as a result," he said."

LittleBuford

"Um, but you know, you did have the situation with our Parents Rights in Education Bill. And the thing is, is, you know, when you're doing some of this stuff, you know, what happens with leftists and media, they like to distort, they like to create false narratives. Um, for whatever reason, Disney got on that bandwagon, they demagogued the bill, they lied about it, whatever, came out against it. . . . And I'm just thinking to myself, you're a corporation based in Burbank, California, and you're gonna marshal your economic might to attack the parents of my state? Uh, we view that as a provocation and we're going to fight back against that. But honestly, even in spite of that, um, if none of that had happened, uh, this is the right thing to do. Just on the basis of those Zoom videos that you saw. . . . These are videos of very high up people in this corporation in Disney, and they're talking about their intentional agenda to inject sexuality and the programming that's provided to our youngest kids . . . . I'm just not comfortable having that type of, of, of agenda get special treatment in my state. I just can't do it. And so, and so the bill here sets the marker."

—Ron DeSantis, April 2022

(The transcript is automatically generated so may contain a couple of errors, but you can watch the video for yourself.)

The most revealing thing is that even after he says that "if none of that [i.e., Disney's opposition to the bill] had happened, uh, this is the right thing to do", the reasons he gives all have to do with Disney's "agenda". Here he is, plain as day, telling us in multiple ways that his intent is to punish Disney for being too "woke". Why are people not taking him at his word?

flynnibus

Premium Member
We also have this quote from Randy Fine who submitted the original bill to the house...

""Had Disney not said 'we are going to use our special privileges as a guest in your state to overturn a bill that the legislature has duly passed [and] the governor has duly signed,' people would not have started looking at special districts. The issue [rose] to the surface as a result," he said."

Maybe he was crossing his toes. Do you have video to prove that he wasn’t?

Obviously not. Case closed!!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I suspect Disney's legal dept spent many hours on this. They possibly even consulted with outside First Amendment experts.

I suspect they also took into account the makeups of the courts they would have to appeal through (which all lean heavily conservative).

They would have considered what is gained by winning vs. the downside of losing.

They would have contemplated what this would look like in the news, potentially dragging out for years.

They would have presented this to senior leadership (Iger himself?) to make the call.

The more I think about it, the more I think statements like this that were added to the new charter:

Section 24. Ad valorem taxes.—The board of supervisors shall have the power to levy and assess an ad valorem tax on all the taxable real and tangible personal property in the district to pay the principal of and interest on any general obligation bonds of the district, to provide for any sinking or other funds established in connection with any such bonds, and to finance and defray the cost of any of the projects or activities of the district authorized by the provisions of this act or under law, provided that the district's ad valorem taxing authority shall be limited to serving or benefitting the property owners of the district.

were enough for Disney.

I suspect Disney's team of lobbyists got enough for Disney to be OK with the new charter.

Despite what so many others on this thread think, I don't believe the governor is out to screw Disney financially. Instead, he wants the social issues win. DeSantis is establishing his national brand as a social warrior, and this might be enough to land him the Republican nomination.
The bolded part is also easier to fight in court. If the new board steps out of line there is nothing to stop Disney from suing. Disney recently sue Orange County on tax assessments for the resorts and parks. If the board spends money frivolously or refuses to approve something that can be handled one off in court and would be easier and cheaper to win.

Last edited by a moderator:

lazyboy97o

Are people just as offended when they have favors done or special treatment when they give money to those politicians?

Or is that ok? Genuine question. Some people see the reciprocity and bribe as just a wording difference, I guess because it is an incentive and not a promise officially it does not bother people as much, but that is what it is.
Wording always matters is how I see this one.
What are you even talking about? What favor was done? Was Disney paying for their own services the favor? Developing a model building code that the state endorsed for several decades the favor? The double taxation?

celluloid

What are you even talking about? What favor was done? Was Disney paying for their own services the favor? Developing a model building code that the state endorsed for several decades the favor? The double taxation?

Well you see, when political donations are given, they are given to have a certain elected official win, they don't just evenly donate their political donations. So there would be interest of reasons. Disney has had plenty of breaks like any major company.

I am not saying it needs to be the same for people as the government seeming more vindictive or openly saying something was in direct response to an opposition.

lazyboy97o

Well you see, when political donations are given, they are given to have a certain elected official win, they don't just evenly donate their political donations. So there would be interest of reasons. Disney has had plenty of breaks like any major company.

I am not saying it needs to be the same for people as the government seeming more vindictive or openly saying something was in direct response to an opposition.
That’s still more vague gibberish. Can the innuendo and just say it.

celluloid

That’s still more vague gibberish. Can the innuendo and just say it.
Calm down.
I have no innuendo. I pretty plainly asked if people think corporations should have large donations to political parties or politicians that only those at the top decide on, which happens with big companies including Disney. You are looking for something not there and are unkind.
So nevermind. Not everything need be so volatile.

Last edited:

celluloid

I wish Disney would stop all political donations. I know I'm being idealistic, but the whole thing leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.
Thank you for understanding what I was asking. I feel the same way. Them announcing they were ceasing all political donations made me realize, I don't want them doing that in the first place as the company including 150,000 people is never a monolith.

sedati

I thought freedom wasn’t free, but it is… for the taking.

I’m hoping this is the speak softly part and there is a big stick just out of sight. Otherwise, all hail King Ron.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Poster didn't say anything about income taxes. Doesn't FL have property taxes, sales tax, junk taxes, fees etc?
Property tax doesn’t go to the state or the people responsible for doing this it’s local. Sales tax goes to the state but there’s no need to move there to pay it. I’ve paid plenty of sales tax to FL without ever living there.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
The bolded part is also easier to fight in court. If the new board steps out of line there is nothing to stop Disney from suing. Disney recently sue Orange County on tax assessments for the resorts and parks. If the board spends money frivolously or refuses to approve something that can be handled one off in court and would be easier and cheaper to win.
They sue Orange County every year over taxes, and every year they win.

Fox&Hound

So my apologies for being late to the party, but what does all this mean for Disney? Does this make it harder for them to add to the theme parks or property or is it just a inconvenience in name only? And fee free to respond like I am five and have no clue what any of these big terms mean :)

Buried20KLeague

Everyone arguing about intent. Lol

DeSantis doesn’t give a rip about this.

This is all about trying to pry away the 30-35% gop voters that are lock step with another candidate, no matter what.

DeSantis knows without that, he has no chance of getting the gop nom.

This is showboating.

Can’t wait till the lawsuits start, or until DeSantis is asked in a debate why he’s going after Disney when the villages get the same deal and he doesn’t care.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom