News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

celluloid

Nah. Splash is a goner

So is RCID and any interest Disney has in protecting it or righting a wrong from its loss. They don't want their name to be on the news every time there is an update about a fight that among the majority of people either don't care enough about or don't care to particularly root for them. Esp since Iger still has in the past talked about political plans. If you want to hold some hope, that is fine.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
I wouldn’t necessarily say that Jeff’s statement today definitively indicates that the company will not fight this.
From the decent sources I am hearing this is done. No I did not have a chat with Bob, but a memo will be coming out to CM's tomorrow. I am far from an insider but I am hearing this both from the union side and finance.

peter11435

What makes you say that? I'm not challenging you, but looing for a glimmer of hope!
Im not saying they will fight it. I’m just saying there are reasons to release a statement like that even if you are planning legal action. And he didn’t specifically say they weren’t. WDW must operate under the assumption that the new district is the future and they must reassure investors, cast members, and potential guests that they are prepared for that reality with little to no change to the experience.

peter11435

From the decent sources I am hearing this is done. No I did not have a chat with Bob, but a memo will be coming out to CM's tomorrow. I am far from an insider but I am hearing this both from the union side and finance.
Certainly possible. Like it or not. And if communication does come out clarifying their intent then they will end a lot of speculation. Although I’m not sure how or why the union would have any insight here.

EeyoreFan#24

I wouldn’t necessarily say that Jeff’s statement today definitively indicates that the company will not fight this.

I agree with you, I don't think its definitively over. The last place Disney is going to fight this is in public, at least right now.
They very well could be rolling over, but my first reaction when I read the Disney release was "dang there going hard with this". I think they are going the silent but deadly route.

MagicHappens1971

I agree with you, I don't think its definitively over. The last place Disney is going to fight this is in public, at least right now.
They very well could be rolling over, but my first reaction when I read the Disney release was "dang there going hard with this". I think they are going the silent but deadly route.
Disney has plenty of lobbyists in Tallahassee right now anyway. Just because it looks like they aren't fighting this doesn't mean they aren't.

LittleBuford

I’m just saying there are reasons to release a statement like that even if you are planning legal action.
It reads to me very much like a definitive concession: "We are focused on the future [i.e., we understand our control over RCID is over] and are ready to work within this new framework". There's no hint of equivocation or open-endedness that I can detect.

Nubs70

Disney has given us no reason to think or hope otherwise. They've capitulated. And they've lost not only the district, but whatever respect they gained by speaking out (albeit belatedly) in support of their CMs. They'd have done better to stay silent if cowardice was the route they were going to take anyway.
DIS was better off to stay silent and work the issues behind the scenes.

lazyboy97o

It reads to me very much like a definitive concession: "We are focused on the future [i.e., we understand our control over RCID is over] and are ready to work within this new framework". There's no hint of equivocation or open-endedness that I can detect.
Yeah. That statement was ready very quickly. They could have said nothing, as they had for months, or stalled by talking about still reviewing new legislation or some other excuse. While they don’t want to highlight the de facto situation of RCID = Disney, it seems doubtful that this is the start of “we’re not doing anything, the District is doing it”. Maybe they’ve made Target or CVS some great deal to make a move on behalf of the landowners. Can the Army sue? That announcement of layoffs will probably have a nice chilling effect on any employee activism.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Certainly possible. Like it or not. And if communication does come out clarifying their intent then they will end a lot of speculation. Although I’m not sure how or why the union would have any insight here.
The unions are involved in every part of this. The unions pushed Chapek to make a statement. They are in this start to finish. Anytime WDW makes a big release the unions have a 24ish notice so they can do the same. The call if the Unions will make a timed release with this memo is in question. If they don't they are not "in the know". If they do, it appears they agree. That would make them look like they lost. Disney knows what they will release tomorrow. Not so much for the union speak.

StCloudTiger

Anyone who has visited Disney
They have to fight. Anyone who has visited Disneyland Paris recently can envisage what will evolve if they dont. As you approach DLP you have to pass hawkers and the sales of knockoff products. It certainly is not so magical. Florida can expect a negative effect on tourism if they dont fight.

ohioguy

In the end, it's all win for Disney. Board members of the new district won't block any development, and some costs may be transferred over to the state. DeSantis may have won the battle, Disney wins the war.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t know what nitwit “law maker” it was - cause I frankly don’t want his name in my head - but the quote I saw was “they thought they were gonna tell 25,000,000 people what to do…” regarding Disney making a statement regarding this nonsense political stunt.

It’s disgusting…and it’s Unamerican.

Disney should cancel lake Nona - at a minimum - by the time the sunrises in burbank.

This is wrong.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom