Record profit for Disney

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Maybe Solyndra could have taken some pointers from TDC and they would not have had to go bankrupt with so many of my tax dollars that I would have preferred to spend myself.

Chef Mickey

Disney will pay for your vacations if you just simply buy their stock on the dips. This is the greatest entertainment company in the world and the stock was destroyed just a few short months ago because of recession concerns and European worries. It was such a screaming buy at $28-$34. I was at their parks and said multiple times to my family that the recession fears are clearly overblown. Disney is one of the best measures of the consumer and they were spending in full force the 4 times I was there this year.

They are diversified into 5 high performing businesses:

Networks (ESPN, ABC, Disney Channel)
Parks/Resorts
Merchandising
Movie Studios
Online Media

Just do some reading and research and it's clear their businesses are performing at a high level. They have great management and execute very well. I bought their stock before earnings and watched it fly. Honestly, it's very clear Disney has premium brands like ESPN and viritually all their movies are a hit. Lion King 3D raked in over $100m and it was simply a re-release. They have more in the pipeline too. Conference call was extremely bullish.

I love Disney and know they are a business and in it to make money; but they do work hard to provide wholesome family entertainment and don't make insane profits. Companies like AAPL (which I respect as well) make a lot more money off "screwing" their customers. Hey, it's just business.

Don't like it? BUY THE STOCK!

TP2000

I REALLY can't wait for you to go ... :) ... it's impossible to defend WDW after visiting that resort (and you aren't a mindless defender of it to start with!:ROFLOL:)

After the first time I went to Tokyo Disney Resort earlier in the 2000's, I was mad at the American parks for stinking so much. It really makes you angry when you return from Tokyo Disneyland, and it even damages your national pride and patriotism. Let that be a warning to any Disney theme park fan considering a trip to Tokyo.

But by the third visit I made to Tokyo Disneyland, I finally came to the realization that so much of what makes the Tokyo parks so mind-blowingly awesome is rooted in the Japanese culture. We Americans invented Disneyland, but the Japanese culture carries it out and operates it better than we ever did. Even when Walt was alive and hanging out at Disneyland every weekend in the 1950's and 60's, Disneyland USA was never as good as Tokyo Disneyland. And I dare say that the Walt Disney World parks that came along long after Walt died and were run by corporate committees in the 1970's to today have never begun to approach what Tokyo Disneyland is in the 21st century.

Heck, a visit to a Tokyo Starbucks blows away the best Starbucks in America. The Japanese, and especially the cosmopolitan and sophisticated Tokyoites, are just so dang good at doing upscale, gracious service industry gigs that the slobby, blobby, flabby, super-casual Americans who work in the exact same industry can never compete.

And it doesn't matter how many times the Disney World Cast Member with three chins says "Have a MAGICAL Day!!!!!" at you after the most mundane of service transactions, Tokyo has them all beat by leaps and bounds due to ingrained cultural differences.

RandySavage

From an operations (maintenance, guest service, etc.) standpoint, TDR leaves WDW in the dust.

And while DisneySea deserves the many accolades it gets, from a purely design standpoint, I think Tokyo Disneyland may be the least aesthetically pleasing Magic Kingdom-style park in the world.

Interestingly, every area added post-opening to TDL is outstanding - particularly their incredible Critter Country, the China Voyager area of Adventureland, and the Pooh area. And the hub has improved with tree growth. But some of the original lands, especially Tomorrowland, Fantasyland & World Bazaar are out shined by their counterparts at WDW and across the globe (in land aesthetics). TDL's Tomorrowland is particularly unpleasant design-wise: a sterile architectural wasteland stuck in a bad part of the 1970s.

Again, I'm referring only to the design & aesthetics of some of the environments and the land-to-land transitions (that have been there since opening day). TDL should be commended & emulated on the many, many things it does so well... but it is far from the perfect MK-style park, design-wise (IMO):
Snow%20White%201.jpg

3709123971_24fab8f3c5.jpg

TokyoDisneylandTomorrowland.jpg

Expo_Seeker40

I've heard TDL is so clean, if you dropped food on the ground, you could sanitarily (new word?) eat it ;)

I agree w the aesthetics, but the fanboi in me misses the old tomorrowland towers. BTW how are the CM treated at TDL? Why is everyone so thin n pleasant its like WDW in the 70s!!!

HMF

Disney will pay for your vacations if you just simply buy their stock on the dips. This is the greatest entertainment company in the world and the stock was destroyed just a few short months ago because of recession concerns and European worries. It was such a screaming buy at $28-$34. I was at their parks and said multiple times to my family that the recession fears are clearly overblown. Disney is one of the best measures of the consumer and they were spending in full force the 4 times I was there this year.

They are diversified into 5 high performing businesses:

Networks (ESPN, ABC, Disney Channel)
Parks/Resorts
Merchandising
Movie Studios
Online Media

Just do some reading and research and it's clear their businesses are performing at a high level. They have great management and execute very well. I bought their stock before earnings and watched it fly. Honestly, it's very clear Disney has premium brands like ESPN and viritually all their movies are a hit. Lion King 3D raked in over $100m and it was simply a re-release. They have more in the pipeline too. Conference call was extremely bullish.

I love Disney and know they are a business and in it to make money; but they do work hard to provide wholesome family entertainment and don't make insane profits. Companies like AAPL (which I respect as well) make a lot more money off "screwing" their customers. Hey, it's just business.

Don't like it? BUY THE STOCK!
Screwing people is OK because it's just a business?:drevil: You wonder why our economy is in ruins.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Screwing people is OK because it's just a business?:drevil: You wonder why our economy is in ruins.

If you think you are being "screwed" and you continue to frequent Disney Parks or continue to do business with Disney or any of its subsidiaries, then thats your own fault. No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to do business with anyone.

~OCS~

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
If you think you are being "screwed" and you continue to frequent Disney Parks or continue to do business with Disney or any of its subsidiaries, then thats your own fault. No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to do business with anyone.

~OCS~

Truth. Saying you go because "it has not always been that way" it not an excuse either.

HMF

~OCS~
You know that this problem tends to persist in many businesses, right?

jakeman

...that the Mommy Bloggers all write about.
I grow tired of reading this over and over again, even though anyone with half a brain cell knows it's true.

Name them.

Name the websites that are getting perks from Disney and enumerate what benefits they've received.

Then the fan community can decide for themselves if the information is slanted and continue to frequent those sites.

If it is such the problem you preach about incessantly, then name them.

Good thing this is a website about 1 park in one region of one division of one company.

c-one

The odd thing about TDL's Tomorrowland is how they copied WDW's for much of it, but sans the Peoplemover. Without the Peoplemover, the scale is totally off.

It gets further muddled by the inclusion of Star Tours and Monsters Inc, which don't fit in. I think TDL should remodel Tomorrowland to look more like the Hong Kong version...

llrain

hahaha it benefits the employees...thats a good one. Tell that to the actual cast members who make 8.00/hr

But realize that the main purpose of any business is to be profitable. A strong profitable business benefits everyone from the shareholders, executives, and employees, to the beneficiaries of the charitable endeavors of the company.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

Right, but your comment was about Disney. Again, if you feel you are being wronged and you continue to expose yourself to said wrong, you should be looking at yourself as the problem, not the one perceived of perpetrating the wrong.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Is that below minimum wage? If not, then whats your point?

No, it is not. I find it funny that someone complains about a CM making that. Minimum wage is too high as it is for the work being output. BestBuy, OfficeMax, BurgerKing, as well as other establishments of the like pay the majority of their part timers below $8 and get little to no discount our benefit. Sure, some people make more but that is the average. Busch pays their OPS Team Members starting at $7.25. They have their standard discount on food and merch and no seasonal benefits at all etiher. The Main Gate guest passes Disney provides exceeds the number that SWP&E provides as well. As far as part time theme park employees go Disney is heading the bunch. (so long as it is the $8 posted. I know CP CMs get higher than that.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom