Record profit for Disney

Buried20KLeague

All the "negative Nancies" have been nowhere to be found since this news broke yesterday. Obviously the first thing they had to do was hit the bottle because all their spin and carefully constructed web of misinformation lies in ruins. So now they have to get over their collective hangovers before they coordinate the new spin. It is going to be very interesting to see what the come up with. Interesting in a "hah hah you can't be serious" kinda way. :ROFLOL:

So I have been sitting back waiting for someone to start this thread as it is best it was not me. This is awesome news for the future of WDW (all I care about) as Disney realizes that a little quality can generate good profits then a lot more quality can generate awesome profits.

Build, baby, build.

Oh, and I told you so.

Oh, and way to go TDO!

Oh, and congradulations to Meg and her team!

Oh, and those of you here who say I am out of touch, don't know what I am talking about and just see things through pixie dust colored glasses, you can apologize on your own schedule. But do have the class to apologize :wave:

:cool:

:rolleyes:

- You have no idea what percentage of the profits WDW made up.

- You have no idea what was generated based on discounts and promotions.

- You have no idea what percentage of guests were international visitors coming solely because of the weak dollar.

- You suggest homoginization of merch----

You know what? Why am I wasting my time with you?? Seriously. You have no clue. The way you attempt to speak with authority on topics you have literally ZERO knowledge of is almost frightening.

It's good of you to have the ability to apologize... Judging by how you post here, I'm sure it comes in handy quite often for you.

devoy1701

Ah...another Yeti jab. I expect to see some Yeti love once Pandora opens...and not any sooner since shutting down EE would be a hard blow to AK, they need something else to distract while they come up with a permanent solution for our hairy friend. Oh, and good to hear Disney is doing well now that Harry Potter has died down a bit.

oh goody...maybe we'll see a fixed Yeti sometime in the next 5 to 6 years... Why even bother at that point?

lt94

Original Poster
For people whoe did not read aticle

1."For the fiscal year, Disney's theme-park division produced operating income of $1.6 billion, up 18 percent, on revenue of $11.8 billion, up 10 percent. Revenue was 3 percent higher than the division's pre-recession peak in 2008, but the operating profit remains 18 percent below that year's levels, as margins have been squeezed by Disney's discounting and by a surge in capital spending on projects such as the new cruise ships, Aulani and multiple park expansions"

2."Disney's commentary also illustrated how park attendance drawn from international markets — particularly concentrated at Disney World, where a large share of guests arrive by plane — is shifting amid global economic turmoil. Iger said attendance from the United Kingdom, Disney World's biggest overseas feeder market, fell slightly during the quarter amid a spreading European debt crisis — yet international attendance still rose nearly 10 percent overall, thanks to growing traffic from Brazil and Asia."

It's not only about us in the US. Disney marketing is what helped profit also by having discounts and the article it also states they are doing away with discounts that is allowing a larger profit. We can't keep compairing to 08 as 08 did not have as many discounts as today

Buried20KLeague

1."For the fiscal year, Disney's theme-park division produced operating income of $1.6 billion, up 18 percent, on revenue of $11.8 billion, up 10 percent. Revenue was 3 percent higher than the division's pre-recession peak in 2008, but the operating profit remains 18 percent below that year's levels, as margins have been squeezed by Disney's discounting and by a surge in capital spending on projects such as the new cruise ships, Aulani and multiple park expansions"

2."Disney's commentary also illustrated how park attendance drawn from international markets — particularly concentrated at Disney World, where a large share of guests arrive by plane — is shifting amid global economic turmoil. Iger said attendance from the United Kingdom, Disney World's biggest overseas feeder market, fell slightly during the quarter amid a spreading European debt crisis — yet international attendance still rose nearly 10 percent overall, thanks to growing traffic from Brazil and Asia."

It's not only about us in the US. Disney marketing is what helped profit also by having discounts and the article it also states they are doing away with discounts that is allowing a larger profit. We can't keep compairing to 08 as 08 did not have as many discounts as today

But congradulations (sp?) to Meg and her team, right jt? :lol:

It's all thanks to being able to buy Phineas and Ferb merch in the arcade next to Space Mountain.

:dazzle:

the-reason14

oh goody...maybe we'll see a fixed Yeti sometime in the next 5 to 6 years... Why even bother at that point?

Because people here will still be complaining about it then. Even after the new FL opens, and avatarland and maybe even some new amazing developments, people will still be griping about that and the unfinished SSE descent.

devoy1701

We can most certainly keep comparing to 08. It doesn't just have to do with the discounts themselves. Prices were lower. The discounts are greater now because they kept raising prices in line with the 06-07-08 FYs and they found themselves with their pants around their ankles with prices higher than people could afford or were willing to pay. Now they are discounting a product greatly to get less people and less profits than they were receiving in 08 when prices were lower to begin with.

And they've been saying they're going to be doing away with discounts for 18 months now.

WDWFigment

All the while, Oriental Land is expecting a 28% increase for this fiscal year in the face of a gigantic natural disaster: http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/business/news/20111105p2g00m0bu028000c.html

I'm sure some will attempt to explain-away the differences, but if Tokyo Disneyland can increase overall profits on the year despite being closed for a sizable chunk of the year, maybe there's a lesson to be learned that spending money and really churning out a high quality product drives people through the turnstiles better than increasing prices (and accompanying discounts) and cutting costs?

Team Disney Orlando needs to take fewer lessons from Kohl's, and more from Oriental Land.

devoy1701

Because people here will still be complaining about it then. Even after the new FL opens, and avatarland and maybe even some new amazing developments, people will still be griping about that and the unfinished SSE descent.

Should we not??

Yes, it should be scrutinized until it's fixed, but among all the positive things that will happen, the one negative thing will be discussed most and what most here will lose sleep over.

I should note that my comment wasn't a stab at those wanting the Yeti fixed (because I do to) but at the timeline that Muse presented. It's absolutely ridiculous that the Yeti wouldn't/won't be worked on until Avatarland is done...roughly 10-12 years after the damn thing broke anyway.

And it's absolutely ridiculous to think that timeline is acceptable.

WDWFigment

We can most certainly keep comparing to 08. It doesn't just have to do with the discounts themselves. Prices were lower. The discounts are greater now because they kept raising prices in line with the 06-07-08 FYs and they found themselves with their pants around their ankles with prices higher than people could afford or were willing to pay. Now they are discounting a product greatly to get less people and less profits than they were receiving in 08 when prices were lower to begin with.

And they've been saying they're going to be doing away with discounts for 18 months now.

I honestly don't think this will happen even when the economy recovers. It's too good of marketing, which is paramount at WDW now.

I alluded to Kohl's in my previous post. I'll expand a bit...

Kohl's (that crappy department store) strategy for driving sales is to raise prices and raise discounts. It's called illusory discounting. Americans love to feel like they're getting a deal on things, and this gives a greater impression of a deal. Of course, we know that $10 is $10 regardless of how we get there, but to some, "90% off of $100!!!!!" sounds a lot better than "MSRP: $10, Amazon price: $8.99" even if the latter is actually lower.

Rather than focusing on putting out an exceptional product ("if you build it, they will come"), Walt Disney World seems to focus more and more on marketing an exceptional product.

If Tokyo Disneyland is any indication, building the exceptional product is the better way to go. Eventually, people will see through the marketing.

How long it will take is the question...

WDW1974

I was debating posting the results when they were released in the Business forum where it belongs (of course what is News and Rumor always seems as flexible as Silly Putty!)

But as some of the intelligent posters here such as yourself have pointed out, there are no record profits for WDW. Or anything such. This is TWDC as a whole and WDW is but a small (albeit significant) part of it ... of one division actually.

As you stated, operating PROFIT (one of those most important metrics) was DOWN 18% from 2008 when the economic meltdown first became apparent to all (and not just some of us who pay attention to such things). In other words, 2008 wasn't exactly a high water mark for P&R to start with.

And if you listened to any of the analysts or even Jay Rasulo himself, the positive results were due to first and foremost to the addition of th Disney Dream to DCL's fleet. Then you had increased spending ON FOOD (thanks DDP ... yeah, TDO is a group of geniuses!:hurl:) by guests. Even hotel attendance at WDW was actually DOWN (can't recall right this second whether it was just the quarter, but I believe it was for the year). And domestic theme park attendance was basically FLAT.

In other words, there's nothing that WDW or P&R is doing on the homefront other than raise prices to push THEIR numbers to a slightly higher level.

And DVC sales have been a drag (no doubt the Aulani fiacso hurt, but WDW IS The Timeshare Kingdom of the World and where the vast majority of DVC income comes from).

Yep. And with the Euro Zone in turmoil, the question going forward will be are there enough Brazilians who can take their place in Florida and enough Asians who can take their place in California.

Disney is still discounting massively as it continues to raise prices. There are FREE dining deals for some markets out all the way for almost the next year. I just received an email offering 30-35% AP discounts for much of the rest of this year and 40% discounts for the first 3 1/2 months of 2012. That doesn't say 'we're confident in our business and our ability to stem discounting'. It says more of the same.

And again, without getting into the mud with the swine and debating drivel, these are results for TWDC as a whole with P&R a division of it and WDW a part of that division.

Way too many fans do NOT understand major media and corps like Disney and how different slices fit into the pie.

The fact the company has put out terrific numbers means absolutely NOTHING about any plans by Iger for WDW past, present or future. Media companies as a whole are doing very well. Check Viacom's results also out yesterday.

And Disney's strongest business unit right now (has been and continues) is cable networks.

~GFC~

lt94

Original Poster
Oh I forgot, for the ones saying Build Disney Build
I say Fix Disney Fix
Maybe they can set aside some money for ride maint.and repairs as we all talk about in the forums as topics. We are compairing to 08 alot in this topic I would like the parks to work and look like 08 when everything worked ie no 3hr delay on POC or yeti worked and all the muppets were in show
ah the good old days

the-reason14

I should note that my comment wasn't a stab at those wanting the Yeti fixed (because I do to) but at the timeline that Muse presented. It's absolutely ridiculous that the Yeti wouldn't/won't be worked on until Avatarland is done...roughly 10-12 years after the damn thing broke anyway.

It's not acceptable, but what do you expect them to do? Build rides at AK for the next 10 years and forget about the other parks so they can finally close E:E without damaging attendance? Or just close E:E tomorrow and watch attendance suffer? It needs to be fixed but they're not gonna close it down just for that.

WDW1974

Actually to be fair, I think it's been a lot longer ... even prior to mid-08, WDW was discounting heavily ... just not nearly to the levels it has been since.

~GFC~

devoy1701

Oh I forgot, for the ones saying Build Disney Build
I say Fix Disney Fix
Maybe they can set aside some money for ride maint.and repairs as we all talk about in the forums as topics. We are compairing to 08 alot in this topic I would like the parks to work and look like 08 when everything worked ie no 3hr delay on POC or yeti worked and all the muppets were in show
ah the good old days

eh...reach back farther if you want the good ole days. 08 might have been drawing the highest attendence, but we were also well into the slum era of the WDW of present unfortunately.

but I hear ya!

muse1983

Oh I don't think it's acceptable but do you really see it happening before AK has a new attraction big enough to warrant shutting down their premiere ride at their half day park? I mean I can see the logic in Disney thinking that way but it still sucks.

devoy1701

Actually to be fair, I think it's been a lot longer ... even prior to mid-08, WDW was discounting heavily ... just not nearly to the levels it has been since.

~GFC~

Agreed. Discounting has been a marketing ploy for WDW since 9/11. But as you said, the level we see today are greater than those.

I think 09 was the "Buy 4 Get 3" giveway which I think would be the peak of all discounting.

I could be wrong though being that APers don't get to take advantage of those types of deals.

WDW1974

All the while, Oriental Land is expecting a 28% increase for this fiscal year in the face of a gigantic natural disaster: http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/business/news/20111105p2g00m0bu028000c.html

I'm sure some will attempt to explain-away the differences, but if Tokyo Disneyland can increase overall profits on the year despite being closed for a sizable chunk of the year, maybe there's a lesson to be learned that spending money and really churning out a high quality product drives people through the turnstiles better than increasing prices (and accompanying discounts) and cutting costs?

That is amazing and it shows the difference quality (both in product and in management) can make.

Can you imagine if WDW had to shut down for six days let alone six weeks (with one park, which is the equivalent to two at WDW, closed for two months)?

Can you imagine the cuts? The layoffs? The telling CMs used to working 40-50 hours a week to get by on one or two shifts a week?

Oh, and Tokyo doesn't discount on almost anything almost all the time ... even after the greatest disaster in the nation since it was practically wiped out in WWII.

I REALLY can't wait for you to go ... :) ... it's impossible to defend WDW after visiting that resort (and you aren't a mindless defender of it to start with!:ROFLOL:)

Team Disney Orlando needs to take fewer lessons from Kohl's, and more from Oriental Land.

Well, I have never bought anything at Kohl's, but you know I believe WDW is largely Walmart quality at Nordstrom prices.:xmas:

~GFC~

devoy1701

It's not acceptable, but what do you expect them to do? Build rides at AK for the next 10 years and forget about the other parks so they can finally close E:E without damaging attendance? Or just close E:E tomorrow and watch attendance suffer? It needs to be fixed but they're not gonna close it down just for that.

Haven't our insiders stated that the Yeti can be worked on or replaced without major downtime on the attraction? 3rd shift, curtains, etc?

Most people don't notice the thing anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom