Record profit for Disney

WDW1974

I should note that my comment wasn't a stab at those wanting the Yeti fixed (because I do to) but at the timeline that Muse presented. It's absolutely ridiculous that the Yeti wouldn't/won't be worked on until Avatarland is done...roughly 10-12 years after the damn thing broke anyway.

And it's absolutely ridiculous to think that timeline is acceptable.

Nope, it is beyond that ... it is utter stupidity and more defending da man and the new normal and the 99% defending the 1% who are destroying the country mentality.

First and foremost, there is NO guarantee Avatarland will ever see a shovel hit the dirt. All there is an announcement and signed letters of intent. They've had those with governments to build pavilions at EPCOT.

But the idea that something MAJOR should remain broken for what may well be almost a decade (using the Avatar timeline) is complete and utter nonsense.

DAK existed before EE was built. And it attracted millions of people and was one of the top 10 most visited parks on the planet withOUT EE. So, if they have to close it tomorrow for a year, then that's what they should be doing. Not ignoring it while letting fanbois make excuses in the world of Social Media.

~Let's All Blog Like The Mommies Blog ... ~

WDW1974

Rather than focusing on putting out an exceptional product ("if you build it, they will come"), Walt Disney World seems to focus more and more on marketing an exceptional product. .

Careful Tom, you're venturing into hater territory ...

...that tends to happen when you speak the truth to folks who don't want to hear it.

~GFC~

COProgressFan

I alluded to Kohl's in my previous post. I'll expand a bit...

Kohl's (that crappy department store) strategy for driving sales is to raise prices and raise discounts. It's called illusory discounting. Americans love to feel like they're getting a deal on things, and this gives a greater impression of a deal. Of course, we know that $10 is $10 regardless of how we get there, but to some, "90% off of $100!!!!!" sounds a lot better than "MSRP: $10, Amazon price: $8.99" even if the latter is actually lower.

Great analogy with Kohl's, because that is what WDW has become.

I haven't paid "rack rate" for a Disney resort room since 1999. In probably over a dozen stays since then, I have always had some sort of discounted rate. In a sense, since prices have gotten so out of hand, discounts only bring things back into the possibly reasonable level (and in some cases, it's too expensive for what you get).

And the vast majority of advertisements I've seen for WDW (or magical Disney Parks!) in the past 5 years or so have always touted some great discount rate or package, or something like "now more affordable than ever!". Not exactly the image of a respected premium resort destination.

It's certainly not helping the brand/image of WDW as a whole.

WDW1974

Oh I forgot, for the ones saying Build Disney Build
I say Fix Disney Fix
Maybe they can set aside some money for ride maint.and repairs as we all talk about in the forums as topics. We are compairing to 08 alot in this topic I would like the parks to work and look like 08 when everything worked ie no 3hr delay on POC or yeti worked and all the muppets were in show
ah the good old days

Um ... 2008 wasn't the good, old days ... and most of the issues of today (not specifics except in Disco Yeti's case) were issues then as well.

If you want to talk about when things were handled right you could say 1978 or 1988 ... and even perhaps make an argument for 1998 ... but nothing since Y2K has been done right in the macro sense. It was a decade of absolute decline.

~GFC~

lt94

Original Poster
All there is an announcement and signed letters of intent for Avatar land I think I have seen this before with what was that project called at downtown Disney see I forgot already.

devoy1701

...that tends to happen when you speak the truth to folks who don't want to hear it.

~GFC~

I wouldn't have used the term "Exceptional Product" though. :drevil:

I haven't paid "rack rate" for a Disney resort room since 1999. In probably over a dozen stays since then, I have always had some sort of discounted rate. In a sense, since prices have gotten so out of hand, discounts only bring things back into the possibly reasonable level (and in some cases, it's too expensive for what you get).

And the vast majority of advertisements I've seen for WDW (or magical Disney Parks!) in the past 5 years or so have always touted some great discount rate or package, or something like "not more affordable than ever!". Not exactly the image of a respected premium resort destination.

Good point. We've been going to Disney World long enough to notice that even with the same discounts we've been getting this whole time (usually 40% for passholders during the slower seasons) that the cost to us is still rising. For Value resorts we used to get $49/night, now it's $76. For Mods we paid $99, now it's about $119 or $129.

We used to stay at WL every year during the holidays and while I found the prices reasonable since the parks are decked out in all of their holiday glory (debatable), it's pretty eye opening what $200/night will get you elsewhere.

WDW1974

Walmart people. Walmart. ... Kohl's would actually be a step or three up.

You too? I've stayed hundreds of nights on property since then and never stayed for less than 30-60% off with CM, AP, FLA resident deals (and with the exception of a stay im 2010), they were all pre-late 2008 meltdown.

I recall paying rack ($129 at the time for Coronado the week after DAK opened in '98 -- a rate i wouldn't pay to stay there today!) ... and my Milennium trip I paid either $109 or $119 for Port Orleans, which was rack BUT since I came in on Chirstmas Day it was MUCH lower than if I arrived the next day.

Another loophole:rolleyes: that Disney removed because you used to get whatever rate your stay started with for the entire stay ( a very classy guest friendly policy as opposed to today where thet charge you a surcharge for weekends ... and please, don't tell me others do it so it's OK for the rat to do so too!)

And the vast majority of advertisements I've seen for WDW (or magical Disney Parks!) in the past 5 years or so have always touted some great discount rate or package, or something like "not more affordable than ever!". Not exactly the image of a respected premium resort destination.

No. They've permanently degraded their BRAND in Florida with a decade of constant discounts ... that the Mommy Bloggers all write about.

It was actually a topic at a very important meeting I recently attended, but wasn't about Disney per se ... :drevil:

~GFC~

Buried20KLeague

Yes, it should be scrutinized until it's fixed, but among all the positive things that will happen, the one negative thing will be discussed most and what most here will lose sleep over.

Not if it's fixed.

I see it as your glass is half empty. I think they'll have addressed it by then.

:D

You shouldn't be so negative.

See what I did there? :drevil:

WDW1974

Good point. We've been going to Disney World long enough to notice that even with the same discounts we've been getting this whole time (usually 40% for passholders during the slower seasons) that the cost to us is still rising. For Value resorts we used to get $49/night, now it's $76. For Mods we paid $99, now it's about $119 or $129.

Depends on the season. I would guess 40% using the winter AP rates at a value is likely less than $76. ... Probably about $60? The mods are likely about $110-115 now 'discounted'.

We used to stay at WL every year during the holidays and while I found the prices reasonable since the parks are decked out in all of their holiday glory (debatable), it's pretty eye opening what $200/night will get you elsewhere.

I have stayed well over 100 nights at the WL (last stay 2006 to be fair) and all in standard rooms (all different views and a few times with concierge) and NEVER paid close to $200 a night with the discounting even in the good, old days ... but a week at WL concierge for $109 a night in 2004 was likely my best deal!

As to now ... anyone visiting WDW who wants a much better deal will simply use PL and its 'name your own price' service. You can get rooms at the Hyatt Grand Cypress, DD Hilton, Gaylord Palms, Bonnet Creek Hilton (just to name properties on or close to WDW property) for $50-100 a night. Or less than a garish 'value' motel at WDW.

But you have to bring your own Pixie Dust!:rolleyes:

~GFC~

WDWFigment

~GFC~

I still think I have a long way to go before I end up there!

I think the additions to the Osborne Lights this year sound great (won't look at photos/video until I see them in person).

With options like Jiko, Sanaa, The Wave, Via Napoli, and improved menus at Flying Fish, Coral Reef, and other restaurants at which we've eaten recently, I think dining is improving.

I think merchandise has been taking huge steps forward.

I actually like most of what Disney has done with social media. Sure, it's not an open dialogue, but that's not what I expect. I watched a lot of behind the scenes videos, archives material, and other things I would have never seen even 2 years ago.

Heck, I even think we're beginning to turn the corner on some perpetual maintenance issues.

Now, the flip side. I won't give "kudos" to Disney for the tree at Epcot. Wow, they fixed something that looked awful for two years because of a subtraction of something good. That would be like saying to a surgeon, "well, you amputated the wrong foot, but great work on not killing the patient in the process!" I don't feel it's appropriate to give kudos for doing what you're supposed to do, or just screwing up less than normal.

The inflated prices there for the impression of great savings with the Disney Dining Plan (there's that illusory discounting again!) really irk me.

Merchandise, in some regards, still hasn't returned to its 1996-level of variety.

Some aspects of social media have come across as condescending or pandering to the lowest common denominator despite being marketed to a more astute audience.

There are some utterly inexcusable maintenance issues, the two Frontierland mountains being prime examples, that should have both attractions down.

There are other examples on each side of the coin, but there's my little point-counterpoint style summary of a few things.

My point is that I like to think I call things as I see them. I don't care if I come across negative, positive, or indifferent. People have called me part of the "Doom and Gloom Brigade" and people have also said I'm "Snorting the Pixie Dust." I don't doubt that at times, I've probably encroached on the territory of both "posses" with some of my opinions. I don't really care. I praise when I think praise is due, and criticize when I think that is due.

Granted, most of my praise these days is directed at Disneyland, but I haven't stopped going to Walt Disney World either. Obviously I'm having a great time in both resorts. I don't doubt that you, or anyone else here is, either.

lt94

Original Poster
Don't forget stay off property and add anywhere from 10$ to 20$ per night more just to park your car at a better resort

WDWFigment

Walmart people. Walmart. ... Kohl's would actually be a step or three up.

Just to get your goat, I'm going to coin and try to spread the term Kohlsizing! ;)

In any case, they would describe different things. With Wal-marting, you're referring to the quality of various offerings. With my comparison to Kohls, I'm referring to marketing. Wal-mart doesn't raise prices only to offer 50%!!! discounts on them (bringing them back to their original price). Wal-mart is pretty straight-forward with prices.

Just as long as no one attacks my precious Amazon.com (yeah, I know, they're not perfect, either!) I will be happy!

the-reason14

Not if it's fixed.

I see it as your glass is half empty. I think they'll have addressed it by then.

:D

You shouldn't be so negative.

See what I did there? :drevil:

And when/if it is fixed and there's nothing left to about as far as AA's and refurbs are concerned, what will they complain about then? And never negative, the world still spins for me and the sun still shines when I get off E:E and see that the yeti is still broke. :D

jt04

I am so glad I was able to get the facts on the table before the thread turned to a discussion of the Yeti that 99% of guests do not even realize was engineered to move but does not. The other 1%? :lookaroun:lol:

Anyway, we have descended now into the mutual admiration portion of the thread where those of like mind affirm each other's point of view to try to conjure some credibility. Wouldn't it be better to just use PM's for that. :shrug:

TDO Rules!!! :sohappy:

WDW Vacationer

It is good to see that the financial results were good. Though I suspect much of the profit came from higher prices for food, rooms and admission. They have slowed discounting down a bit so that certainly helps the numbers compared to last quarter. I also question how much of the improvement is coming from WDW.

Disneyland is continuing to grow by all accounts, as well as Hong Kong. Paris is starting to rebound and I expect TDL to have strong numbers as well. Though there isn't much proof WDW is doing so great. Many see the combination of domestic attendance and monetary numbers as a way to hide those numbers slipping in WDW. (Which the TEA numbers agree with.)

WDW Vacationer

Anyway, we have descended now into the mutual admiration portion of the thread where those of like mind affirm each other's point of view to try to conjure some credibility. Wouldn't it be better to just use PM's for that. :shrug:

TDO Rules!!! :sohappy:

I thought the mutual admiration part came whenever you profess your love for TDO in almost every post! :lol:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
So you're denying that their profits had anything to do with cost cutting?
I didn't deny anything. If they cut costs, which I am not entirely sure they did, and made a profit, then their cost-cutting had something to do with profits. What I actually said was that in my personal situation I went and spent more time and money than I originally planned and that that could easily be as viable an explanation, given the facts available to me.

:shrug:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I think I am going to be ill if I read another DOM post.:shrug:

I think I'll be ill if I read another condescending post that attempts to demean other posters' opinions because they differ from yours. :hurl:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom