Rebranding Pop Century?

pop-century-unbuilt-web.jpg

Not finished?!?!?!? What's everyone talking about??? This is the newest themed resort modeled after Camden, New Jersey. It's called Disney's The Hood'... room rates are by the hour.:lookaroun

Sleep to the wonderfully ambient sounds of police sirens, firetrucks and the occasional gunshot. Sounds "Magical"

mrssparrow

I haven't read through this entire thread simply because it was too long....

I would be interested in seeing if they do something with these buildings. It is an eyesore if you are facing these buildings while staying at POP. I do remember some scuffle that these buildings were so far out of code that it would cost more to refurb these buildings than just build new...

With that said, we have stayed at pop once... and only once.... I was not thrilled with that resort at all, merely due to the size and layout. The first night was horrific as we got lost going to the hotel room and we were on the highest floor facing the eyesores. We were luckily moved a bit closer, but it was still a nightmare.

Overall, that experience was one that will cause me to pass over Pop from now on...

jmuboy

I have no problem with Disney finishing off the partially built unfinished side of POP and rebranding that area as a new resort. Although I would love to see some investment INSIDE the parks instead of the non stop investment in hotels and DVC.

What I don't think Disney needs to do right now is spend the $$$ on rebranding the portion of POP already in operation. It's fine as is. Just change the name (as some poster already suggested) to Disney's Pop Culture Resort.

wvdisneyfamily

I just read the Jim Hill article and the permit someone posted. I also read the first page and a half of posts. I agree that the Pop is best the way it is and that the better solution would be to use the unfinished legendary years to make the Disney Animation Suites. Everytime Disney runs a promo, Pop always seems to be the value resort of choice. How is it that the All-Stars have a higher occupation rate? I don't know the difference in size or anything, but I would think that Pop is bigger than the All Stars and that may factor into it. I've never stayed at the Pop because I swore off the value resorts after my experience at All Star movies. However, if I ever had to stay at a value again, my first choice would be Pop. I know a lot of people like the All Stars and that's fine, but I hate them. I would probably stay off property before I stayed there again. That is just what my husband and I think. This doesn't speak for the rest of the WDW loving population. But I just can't understand how the All Stars are more popular than the Pop.:shrug:

disneyniebo

We just got back from a week at WDW staying at POP.
The place was packed!
So many people, couples and families, stay at the POP. It is the best value resort that WDW has. I really do not think they would change this resort.

Exprcoofto

I really hope they don't change Pop. I've stayed there over 10 times and I still love it. Disney Animation is represented else where in WDW, but now a complete resort? @_@ I'm not exactly sure but has the Pop attendance been going down? Every time I visit it's always crowded.

krankenstein

I heard somewhere that they are planning on doing this to the abandoned side of Pop but the currently opened portion would stay the same. :shrug:

Pioneer Hall

If the other half of the resort is not going to be built, then it is probably best to retheme it all. Hard to pull off a century when only half of it is there. It just has to be done right and differentiate itself from ASMo

no1swfanindy

We had our first stay at Pop this last Aug. I liked the resort alot! There were a few things that confused me though. When we checked in, I asked for a room on the top floor of whatever building we were in and was told they were at capacity and she would try. She did get us a room on the top floor and in a building that I would consider a "preferred" location, as we were very close to the food court and loby, even though I didn't pay for a preferred room. I also could swear that there was no one in either rooms beside us the entire week. At every instance when dining at the food court, it was a complete madhouse. We would generaly spend several minutes just finding a table, and then several more standing in line for food. So the resort seemed to be very busy.

As far as themeing, we didn't get the chance to walk around the resort much because of the near constant rain that fell the whole week we were there. Once my feet get wet, I'm done walking! I did get a chance to walk through the loby area and take pictures. While I was there, I ran into a younger couple who were admiring the collections on the wall, although they did not recognize many items or seemed to be aware of their importance in pop culture for the time periods they were in. I did point out a few things to them. After reading many posts in this thread, I can see the point about the themeing and the possibility that the pop culture theme would not appeal to many younger people. I liked it, but of course I can't speak for everyone.

We all liked Pop Century very much, but I have to admit that after staying at value resorts for the last 4 trips to WDW, the large amount of people staying at the values makes me consider not staying there again. We stayed at Carribean Beach twice and never felt that it was crowded. The waiting areas for the buses were generaly empty or just a few people. The food court never seemed too busy, and over all felt much more relaxed than the very busy food courts at any of the value resorts.

I guess the bottom line of this for me would be; the proposed change in theme doesn't bother me, I like the current theme but Disney is trying to appeal to a larger group than the dwindling older group I would place myself into. Also the increase in incentives from Disney to get people to stay at the value resorts means an increase in people (they hope) and that does not appeal to me at all.

But if they turned the legendary years side into the Animation Inn, then it really wouldn't be Pop "Century" anymore. They'd have to call the remaining classic side something like "Pop Half Century" or "Pop Decades x 5" :lookaroun

It still doesn't make sense how pop culture wouldn't appeal to families. Disney itself is a pop culture icon! I could bet you a dime that anybody, no matter what their age, could recognize something in those shadow boxes in the lobby and thinks its cool.

HDS

We all liked Pop Century very much, but I have to admit that after staying at value resorts for the last 4 trips to WDW, the large amount of people staying at the values makes me consider not staying there again. We stayed at Carribean Beach twice and never felt that it was crowded. The waiting areas for the buses were generaly empty or just a few people. The food court never seemed too busy, and over all felt much more relaxed than the very busy food courts at any of the value resorts.
The number one reason I stay at Carribean Beach, love it there!

nibblesandbits

"It's Miley!"

"It's a felony!":lol:

"It's evidence!" :D

:ROFLOL:

I hope they do keep Pop Century, Pop and change the "Legendary" years to the Animation Inn & Suites. Honestly, when I thought about them building the "Legendary" years, I couldn't imagine that that resort's theme would really do anything...meaning, how many guests would choose to stay at a resort like that? At least with stuff from the 50s-90s, there's gonna be something people reconginze, but with the 40s-00s...I mean...that just doesn't have the same type of appeal. It doesn't sound as if it could be as fun and kitchy. I don't know...it just didn't work as well for me as the 50s-90s does. So, I think re-branding that half is a really good idea.

eeyoremum

Apologies, I did not read through the whole post. So if this is a repeat, sorry.

I find it hard to believe that a hotel opened in late 2003 will be changed completely in 2009. Also, Pop is always packed. I had a hard time getting a room in 2007 (finally was able to switch) and I could not get a room at all this year.

My boys both love POP and so did my Dad. I just can't believe it has "no appeal" to the older and younger generation.

jt04

Apologies, I did not read through the whole post. So if this is a repeat, sorry.

I find it hard to believe that a hotel opened in late 2003 will be changed completely in 2009. Also, Pop is always packed. I had a hard time getting a room in 2007 (finally was able to switch) and I could not get a room at all this year.

My boys both love POP and so did my Dad. I just can't believe it has "no appeal" to the older and younger generation.

I think everyone is missing the point. Marketing wants everything themed to a "franchise" because it sells product (plush, toys, collectibles etc.)

Any that's the bottom line because Stone Cold says so!

JWG

I'm sort of ok with it if it doesn't increase costs and spend for little/no return. We can't get investments in the parks unless they have a return and drive additional revenue.

Re-theming a hotel, unless part of the normal depreciation schedule seems an unnecessary expense right now.

I could also see family suites being billed as moderates. Larger space with added features such as the kitchenette. Heck, that's a deluxe if you think DVD suite. I don't see standard rooms being moderate, but I could see suites being such, especially if a different building.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom