Really, Why Bother ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
One of our company rules is that you must always be wearing your ID.

Very very very few people at corporte wear their ID on a lanyard. Most of the time it is clipped to your belt at your hip. In fact if you are wearing a jacket, it is almost hidden. Most of us have them on retractors too, so that you can keep the RF door pass cards in them, and just extend it when you have to move through various doors.

I admit, I am VERY against the whole IDs and lanyards. They aren't part of the costume and work against the whole idea of show.

IDs were a result of 9/11, yet I don't for one second think they make people feel any safer to know that a Main Street merchandise lead has an ID around her neck (if she's an evildoer, then she's already in).

The lanyards with pins are so very tacky too. So great in Tokyo to see NO lanyards on any CMs.

They wisely killed pintrading as soon as they saw how it lowered quality for all guests across the board ... I just hope they realize that Duffy Mania is doing likewise.

It is scary!:eek:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yes I agree that even FJ could be a lot better: from the non optical grade mirrors in the load area to the horrid transition projections as well as the non-existant finale there is lots of room for improvement. Despite all its shortcomings it at least has been a refreshing departure from the status quo in the stateside parks as of late.

It is incredible. Just incredible. I rode five times on my day at IOA (never waited more than 20 minutes) and could have done many more times, but wanted to explore the rest of WWoHP, have a nice lunch at Mythos and ride old faves like Spidey, Cat and the Hat and Hulk (all of which looked better than I have seen them in years, which makes me wonder if it's the Potter Effect!)

The weakest point for me would be the transition projections, which I wasn't sure if they were a little 'off' or it was my less than perfect vision.
But overall, it was just a feast for the senses.

The last attraction that raised the bar in such a way at an existing WDW park to me was ToT in 1994 (and I include the whole of Sunset Blvd much as I include all of Hogsmeade in the Potter grade).

Now ... if you could get them to relocate the JP entrance arches a bit down the path and have the BGM not playing so close to Potter,so they don't intrude, I'd be a very happy fanboi!

whylightbulb

It is incredible. Just incredible. I rode five times on my day at IOA (never waited more than 20 minutes) and could have done many more times, but wanted to explore the rest of WWoHP, have a nice lunch at Mythos and ride old faves like Spidey, Cat and the Hat and Hulk (all of which looked better than I have seen them in years, which makes me wonder if it's the Potter Effect!)
I know I'm getting off topic here but I promise this is the last one. Did you see Olivander's? I think that show is done extremely well. What did you think of Sinbad and Monsters at Tokyo Disney? I'll be honest, I cried during the finale of Sinbad. The combination of fantastic music with amazing AA figures, a simple yet touching storyline and wonderful sets and lighting did me in. I was not expecting it! I ask about Monsters because I haven't had a chance to ride it yet.

Phonedave

Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Can't we just move on?

Can I play too ?

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

-dave

KevinYee

The dumbing down of the professional staff attire began in the early 00s. I almost hesitate to say it, since it's a cliche, but I think it began under Pressler's regime.

MiklCraw4d

I'm sure it's hot there in summer. (Nevermind it was also hot in 20th century summers when Disney had stricter executive dress codes).

But this interview was done in February, sometime within the past week. Over the past week, the warmest it has been in Orlando is 73 degrees, on February 9th. The daily high temperatures have averaged in the upper 50's to mid 60's over the past week, with low temperatures in the 40 to 49 degree range. (Brrrr!)

http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/USFL0372

Even if this interview took place on the very warmest day of the past week, when it topped out at 73 degrees last Wednesday, that doesn't excuse his business attire. :cool:

I wasn't actually sticking up for the guy, I just wanted to rag a little on how effin hot it always is over there.

71jason

The dumbing down of the professional staff attire began in the early 00s. I almost hesitate to say it, since it's a cliche, but I think it began under Pressler's regime.

Not defending the practice, but at least in Orlando, it's hardly limited to Disney. I worked in the corporate HQ for an international publishing house here in town--polos and khakis were the rule, even for the CEO and Legal Department. Anecdotal, but Orlando is the only city I've lived in on the East Coast that doesn't have a "Knot Shop" or other store specializing in ties in any of the malls. It's a cultural thing, but that doesn't excuse a VP of a major company not thinking how will this look outside the home market.

KevinYee

I know I'm getting off topic here but I promise this is the last one. Did you see Olivander's? I think that show is done extremely well. What did you think of Sinbad and Monsters at Tokyo Disney? I'll be honest, I cried during the finale of Sinbad. The combination of fantastic music with amazing AA figures, a simple yet touching storyline and wonderful sets and lighting did me in. I was not expecting it! I ask about Monsters because I haven't had a chance to ride it yet.

I loved every second of TDR, but Sindbad was a highlight and an unexpected one, at that. I rode back to back probably 7 times and couldn't believe it didn't have a line. I want to hear the music now, in fact!

Buried20KLeague

I don't mean to jump into your conversation here, but... I just had to say that Sinbad was amazing. Simply amazing. We couldn't believe the quality of the storytelling, and AA's and upkeep, and the MUSIC... WOW, THE MUSIC!!!!!!! And there was never a line for it. It was odd... It seemed as if maybe the Japanese just didn't appreciate that sort of attraction. ?? It just didn't make sense. To me, that was the sort of attraction that should always have a long wait... It should have been a flagship attraction of the park... And instead it felt tucked away in the back corner, easy to miss if you weren't paying attention.

The quality of that attraction alone is enough to make us want to head back to Tokyo (which we're thinking about doing because of a MONSTER airfare sale this week - almost 40% off!!)... And that doesn't even mention Pooh, or their ToT, or their new version of F!, or their light parade, or all of TDS, etc, etc, etc....

Buried20KLeague

I loved every second of TDR, but Sindbad was a highlight and an unexpected one, at that. I rode back to back probably 7 times and couldn't believe it didn't have a line. I want to hear the music now, in fact!

I'm humming it in my head at this very second. :D

Also, shameless plug here for Kevin... He was nice enough to send me an early copy of his book "Tokyo Disney Made Easy", and it became our bible for everything from planning to where to go in the airport, to how to order food. It's really the only book out there that does what it does.

If anyone's thinking about visiting Tokyo Disney Resort, you NEED this book.

/plug

huntzilla

I don't mean to jump into your conversation here, but... I just had to say that Sinbad was amazing. Simply amazing. We couldn't believe the quality of the storytelling, and AA's and upkeep, and the MUSIC... WOW, THE MUSIC!!!!!!! And there was never a line for it. It was odd... It seemed as if maybe the Japanese just didn't appreciate that sort of attraction. ?? It just didn't make sense. To me, that was the sort of attraction that should always have a long wait... It should have been a flagship attraction of the park... And instead it felt tucked away in the back corner, easy to miss if you weren't paying attention.

The quality of that attraction alone is enough to make us want to head back to Tokyo (which we're thinking about doing because of a MONSTER airfare sale this week - almost 40% off!!)... And that doesn't even mention Pooh, or their ToT, or their new version of F!, or their light parade, or all of TDS, etc, etc, etc....

Where do you see this at? I was just looking at airfare prices and didn't see anything unusual. Are there specific travel dates?

Buried20KLeague

Where do you see this at? I was just looking at airfare prices and didn't see anything unusual. Are there specific travel dates?

The deal I got was from American Airlines. You have to travel, basically, in the month of April. Round trip from STL (where I'm at) is $700... And that INCLUDES all taxes and fees.

When we went, I paid close to $1200 for round trip. $700 is INSANELY cheap.

If anyone PM's me an e-mail address, I can forward you the e-mail I received from American Airlines.

whylightbulb

I competely 100% agree! I have ridden about ten times and each time it's as fresh as the first! I still don't understand the lack of appreciation for this ride out there. I believe it to be one of the top three story-driven attractions of all time. I can't say that I have ever cried on a ride before until floating through the finale scene while soaking in the atmosphere and hearing the amazing chorus. I am positive that if this ride were to be copied out here in the states that it would be extremely popular, perhaps, dare I say, more so than Small World.

whylightbulb

Please jump in! Any conversation about TDR is a welcome diversion in my opinion. My response to Kevin Yee also applies here. I can't stress enough how amazing and unexpected Sinbad was and how surprised we were how unpopular it seemed to be to the Japanese.

Have you or Kevin been on Monsters Hide and go Seek? I still have yet to talk to anyone that has ridden that ride.

Buried20KLeague

Please jump in! Any conversation about TDR is a welcome diversion in my opinion. My response to Kevin Yee also applies here. I can't stress enough how amazing and unexpected Sinbad was and how surprised we were how unpopular it seemed to be to the Japanese.

Have you or Kevin been on Monsters Hide and go Seek? I still have yet to talk to anyone that has ridden that ride.

The Monsters ride was under construction when I was over there.

And WOW, we have this thread off-topic. :lol: But I doubt Spirit will mind. :wave:

Before we get off the topic of Sinbad... What kind of money would that take to get built here, do you think, whylightbulb? With the R&D already paid for, etc? Just curious, as the scope of that ride is HUGE with all those AA's... But so much of it could be copied. Would it be a $50 mill project, or more?

I know it would never happen stateside, but it's fun to dream.

Although it would be a double-edged sword evein if it DID get built here... I'd worry about the upkeep, which has, IMHO, a huge impact on how incredible that ride is. The lighting, every effect working, crisp audio... If quality falls, I'm not sure it's the same ride. Think Pirates at WDW vs. Pirates at Disneyland... Or even moreso, Disneyland Paris.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I know I'm getting off topic here but I promise this is the last one.

Feel free to take the topic anywhere you like ... I'm tired of talking about Disney execs dressing like slobs!

Did you see Olivander's? I think that show is done extremely well.

Nope. That was the only thing there was a significant line for ... and I'm not the type that feels a need to see and do it all anyway. ... Hell, I left things in Tokyo and took me decades to get there. I can head to WWoHP tomorrow if I wanted.

What did you think of Sinbad and Monsters at Tokyo Disney? I'll be honest, I cried during the finale of Sinbad. The combination of fantastic music with amazing AA figures, a simple yet touching storyline and wonderful sets and lighting did me in. I was not expecting it! I ask about Monsters because I haven't had a chance to ride it yet.

Loved them both. Two of my favorites actually.

Sinbad is an amazingly high-quality immersive family friendly ride. I knew from friends and reading that it has struggled to get folks in, even on the busiest of days. Hell, I think I rode three times each day I was there just because it was pretty much a walk on. I've heard people didn't like the original version because it was dark. I didn't watch video of that until I got back and it definitely was ... Sinbad has a beard, the music is dark and ominous and there's no cute kittie sidekick.

But never experiencing it, hard to say whether I'd have liked it. Sets are basically the same, although those chimp warriors were originally attacking you (with the banana smell pumped in) are now playing instruments.

Thing is, that attraction was just perfect. A mix of PoC and Small World if you will with the song 'Compass of Your Heart' sticking in your head to the point I can hear it now as I type this. It still doesn't seem to be a crowd favorite, although it eats people ... and is in a dead corner of the park, which is why they are adding the Jasmine spinner just outside.

Just loved it, though. It goes on and on ... there were a few parts where a friend with me turned and said 'if this were at WDW it would be over now' .

Monsters was another favorite for me, even if it doesn't exactly say Tomorrowland. Interesting to WDW visitors is the fact the lobby at Monsters Inc is the same as the entry lobby to Dinosaur at DAK (just themed very differently). Total E-Ticket here, which again speaks to quality of attraction being what matters more overall than source material.
It also was the hardest 'ticket' in terms of waits when I was there (saw it hit 120 minutes, which isn't that long by their standards) although we did FP a few times and hit a 30-minute standby near closing one night that wasn't even that long.

I love the detailing and massive amount of AAs in Monsters. The flashlight to activate effects and expose monsters hidden certainly is derivative of things like Buzz and TSS ... but a whole lot more fun. You could ride without even 'playing' and still have a great time. The one thing I couldn't help but notice was the Monstropolis city street scene seemed very much like MiB at UNI ... now, to be fair, both films have scenes like this in their source material (at least I think they do as it's been a few years since I've seen either), still couldn't help but think they did a bit of 'borrowing' from what UNI did with MiB.

Much like Sinbad, the length of the attraction impressed me. It didn't seem over as soon as you started to have fun like many WDW attractions do. And this has so much more repeatability than say Buzz (which as an aside I didn't ride at TDL and is one of the most popular attractions ... I saw waits as long as 110 minutes and my days there weren't busy at all by Tokyo standards). About eight years ago I figured out how to max Buzz out in the very first room at MK, and all fun went out the window. That's an issue with interactivity (see the thread on Staggs' comments today on NEXTGEN). With Monsters, there's so much happening and so much eye candy, because you have real sets, AAs and effects instead of plywood painted and black light, that you can ride over and over again and notice new things. Repeatability is a huge factor with any great attraction and this has it.

At first, I thought I liked Hunny Hunt more, but I think I liked Monsters more now in hindsight.

It just would be nice if Disney built these type of attractions in O-Town.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't mean to jump into your conversation here, but...

You'll do it anyway. Just a for publicity, right, 20K?

Soon, I'll see you quoted in the O-Sentinel, right?:ROFLOL:

I just had to say that Sinbad was amazing. Simply amazing. We couldn't believe the quality of the storytelling, and AA's and upkeep, and the MUSIC... WOW, THE MUSIC!!!!!!! And there was never a line for it. It was odd... It seemed as if maybe the Japanese just didn't appreciate that sort of attraction. ?? It just didn't make sense. To me, that was the sort of attraction that should always have a long wait... It should have been a flagship attraction of the park... And instead it felt tucked away in the back corner, easy to miss if you weren't paying attention.

I think it doesn't resonate with guests to some degree because they'll find an attraction if they like it enough. And even adding the kitty Chandu (sp?) and his cute factor hasn't seemed to be enough to pull folks in, but I did love the attraction. I'd say it was my biggest surprise because I didn't expect it to be a fave (unlike other stuff like JTTCoTE, 20K, ToT etc) and it was.

I am curious to see if the new spinner:hurl: helps up the turnstyle clicks.

Dreamlights is about to undergo another redo with new floats coming and old ones replaced. Amazing as it just blows away MSEP and Spectro combined.

As to flights, I've seen many deals recently ... Europe is also on MAJOR sale this spring, but I don't see myself going beyond Anaheim until my next trip to Asia later this year.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The Monsters ride was under construction when I was over there.

And WOW, we have this thread off-topic. :lol: But I doubt Spirit will mind. :wave:

nope. not at all ... would rather talk nice about Disney (or OLC) and I'm a blathering, drool-covered fanboi when it comes to TDR!

Before we get off the topic of Sinbad... What kind of money would that take to get built here, do you think, whylightbulb? With the R&D already paid for, etc? Just curious, as the scope of that ride is HUGE with all those AA's... But so much of it could be copied. Would it be a $50 mill project, or more?

I know it would never happen stateside, but it's fun to dream.

Although it would be a double-edged sword evein if it DID get built here... I'd worry about the upkeep, which has, IMHO, a huge impact on how incredible that ride is. The lighting, every effect working, crisp audio... If quality falls, I'm not sure it's the same ride. Think Pirates at WDW vs. Pirates at Disneyland... Or even moreso, Disneyland Paris.

Hey, think PoC at TDL ... talk about being wowed. I swear every effect was in perfect working order, audio and lighting were perfect, you didn't hear AAs as they were real/lifelike and didn't squeak like those at MK, and I think they blended the new movie characters in best of all here (even better than Anaheim) ... from the beating heart from Dead Man's Chest when you go down the drop into the caverns to the non-politically correct Pirates chasing the wenches (and they aren't looking for turkey legs to chew on!:drevil:) to the final scene where Captain Jack can be seen perfectly and is close enough that you could sit in his lap (one reason why you'd never see him this close in the States or Paris), I was incredibly impressed by that ride.

But, hell, I was impressed by every attraction I experienced in both parks, really.

I've just not seen that kind of show quality in decades, if ever. It's a wonder to behold.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom