Real Yeti footprint to go on display at Expedition Everest!

Enderikari

Then, the next night, something threw rocks at the camp and they all did what I would have done, cowered in fear inside the camp.

See, that's the part that didn't ring true to me. I'm sorry, but if are pretty certain that Bigfoot is throwing rocks at your door, and your whole purpose being out there is to prove the existence of Bigfoot (with a sizable camera crew at the ready), you don't cower in the darkness when that evidence is throwing rocks at you! That automatically made me think it was staged...

The cowering makes for good, dramatic television, but isn't the acts of people who are trying to prove anything

DisneyDellsDude

I definitely think that the Yeti is a real creature just because of SOOOO many sightings. (But I also believe in ghosts, and aliens.:)) Yeah, you could probably rule out 70% to be humans misunderstanding what they are seeing, another 25% being hoaxes... But then there is that 5% of stories, videos, audio, ect... that you can find no explanation for.

One more point... I think scientists aren't doing to much or saying to much because they are afraid of being ridiculed. They work very hard to get to where they are in the industry, and I don't think they want to blow it saying "I believe in bigfoot" or "I've seen a ghost". They're in a stuck situation.

Just a note...
Bigfoots are claimed to be seen in a lot of places. A lot of weird stuff in Wisconsin. Anyone else heard of the Beast of Bray Road?:D

EpcotServo

Original Poster
See, that's the part that didn't ring true to me. I'm sorry, but if are pretty certain that Bigfoot is throwing rocks at your door, and your whole purpose being out there is to prove the existence of Bigfoot (with a sizable camera crew at the ready), you don't cower in the darkness when that evidence is throwing rocks at you! That automatically made me think it was staged...

The cowering makes for good, dramatic television, but isn't the acts of people who are trying to prove anything
Yeah, that one was iffy. The investigations in the second Bigfoot episode was much better.

Enderikari

Just a note...
Bigfoots are claimed to be seen in a lot of places. A lot of weird stuff in Wisconsin. Anyone else heard of the Beast of Bray Road?:D

I am relatively certain the Beast of Bray Road was supposed to be a were-wolf... But it has been a while since I lived in WI, so I could be wrong

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
At least we all know that the Jersey Devil is no plain ol' bigfoot...

unexplained5-1.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...&prev=/images?q=Jersey+Devil&gbv=2&hl=en&sa=G

imagineer boy

I think I recall that they showed a few camera men patrolling around the cabin when the rock throwing started. They can't really head out into the forest to look for it because, well, it'd be kind of foolish to head out into the darkness with a potentially dangerous creature roaming around.

Either way, I doubt it was faked because monster quest is presented as a serious look at cryptids, and I doubt they'd really want to meander a bit with some fake drama. Besides, none of the other monster quest episodes have any dramatic scenes like in that episodes so...

Ausdaddy

One more point... I think scientists aren't doing to much or saying to much because they are afraid of being ridiculed. They work very hard to get to where they are in the industry, and I don't think they want to blow it saying "I believe in bigfoot" or "I've seen a ghost". They're in a stuck situation.

This is a truthful statement. Why is it that conformity is a requirement to be a scientist today? Free thinking and new approaches are needed, but you have to conform to the popular train of thought or you are ostracized. You can't even point out the holes in a theory.

Enderikari

I think I recall that they showed a few camera men patrolling around the cabin when the rock throwing started. They can't really head out into the forest to look for it because, well, it'd be kind of foolish to head out into the darkness with a potentially dangerous creature roaming around.

See, but that's just the point, that "potentially dangerous animal" represents exactly what they are looking for, that is, if they are actually putting forth effort to find it. Real scientists dive to the bottom of the ocean, explore the deep rainforest, and, while they DO have their safety in mind, the thrill of discovery (especially a discovery as big as the 'foot) wouldn't send them a cowering, especially if it was just a rock.

The entire scene seemed very Blair-witch-ish to me, where they are trying to show "reality" by fixing the circumstances.

EpcotServo

Original Poster
See, but that's just the point, that "potentially dangerous animal" represents exactly what they are looking for, that is, if they are actually putting forth effort to find it. Real scientists dive to the bottom of the ocean, explore the deep rainforest, and, while they DO have their safety in mind, the thrill of discovery (especially a discovery as big as the 'foot) wouldn't send them a cowering, especially if it was just a rock.

The entire scene seemed very Blair-witch-ish to me, where they are trying to show "reality" by fixing the circumstances.

I would say that about them, but there are alot of Cryptozoologists who do very serious expeditions and don't run away at anything scary.

May I recomend you pick up some of Loren Coleman's books? Look them up, they are quite good and he has some very good history behind cryptids.

"Cryptozoological research should be actuated by two major forces: patience and passion."
-Dr. Bernard Heuvelmans, 1988

:D

Enderikari

he has some very good history behind cryptids.

So....

He has the history of animals which have yet to be proven and/or discovered? Will I find those in the fantasy section of Barnes and Noble? Heck, I don't need to read the books, I wanna hear how they were written...

EpcotServo

Original Poster
So....

He has the history of animals which have yet to be proven and/or discovered? Will I find those in the fantasy section of Barnes and Noble? Heck, I don't need to read the books, I wanna hear how they were written...

Yes, pretty much all cryptids have histories going back hundereds of years. The first sightings, how they've become pop culture, some of the most interesting evidence, proven hoaxes, and some of the interesting people who have devoted their lives to finding these things.

He's a nice guy, and his books are very interesting-whether you believe in them or not....

It's just a shame that you're so dead-set on being critical to any person or idea that differs from your own view...

Enderikari

It's just a shame that you're so dead-set on being critical to any person or idea that differs from your own view...

::Rolls Eyes::

Please... don't make any critical judgments with incomplete or inaccurate data, including about ones character.

Its unbecoming

It went from being a fun argument to getting personal quick, didn't it?

hemloc

MonsterQuest has about as much credibility as Ghost Hunters or UFO Hunters, lol.. It's just plain sad that there are sooooo many gullible people out there:ROFLOL:!!!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I still can not believe that no one has come to the obvious conclusion for all of these yeti/Bigfoot sightings.

Man_bear_pig__by_derurasu_horigotom.jpg

Pongo

The entire point of science is to produce theories that may not necessarily be true to what everyone else thinks in order for truth to be pursued. Gravity, a heliocentric universe, there are others that I won't mention so as not to start an even bigger discussion, but there have been theories more socially embarrassing than bigfoot that have been presented in the past.

Maybe these scientists aren't doing or saying much because they understand the science behind it all and realize that these creatures can't exist. Once someone can their PhD in cryptozoologoy; once the "field" makes some actualy advances in science and not society or literature, then I MIGHT consider it an actual science. Until then, it's anything but.

Either way, I doubt it was faked because monster quest is presented as a serious look at cryptids

I don't understand how any show that takes a look at cryptids can be a serious look at cryptids. I read the summaries of all the shows in that series and most of them were looking for creatures that I KNOW can't exist, without even doing the field research to support it.

EpcotServo

Original Poster
::Rolls Eyes::

Please... don't make any critical judgments with incomplete or inaccurate data, including about ones character.

Its unbecoming

It went from being a fun argument to getting personal quick, didn't it?

Like the ones you were making?

And I'm the one getting personal? I just recommended a good author, and you mocked and laughed at the idea that there even is books, so don't act I like I started it.
:hammer:

Ausdaddy

The entire point of science is to produce theories that may not necessarily be true to what everyone else thinks in order for truth to be pursued. Gravity, a heliocentric universe, there are others that I won't mention so as not to start an even bigger discussion, but there have been theories more socially embarrassing than bigfoot that have been presented in the past.

Maybe these scientists aren't doing or saying much because they understand the science behind it all and realize that these creatures can't exist. Once someone can their PhD in cryptozoologoy; once the "field" makes some actualy advances in science and not society or literature, then I MIGHT consider it an actual science. Until then, it's anything but.

I don't understand how any show that takes a look at cryptids can be a serious look at cryptids. I read the summaries of all the shows in that series and most of them were looking for creatures that I KNOW can't exist, without even doing the field research to support it.

I totally agree. That is what science is supposed to be. The fact is that it is no longer that way. You cannot, under any circumstance, propose a theory that flies in the face of mainstream accepted theory without risking your funding, job and hard earned status. Theories are not supposed to be treated as scientific law, but they are. Currently, we accept theories that are not provable as fact and ridicule anyone who proposes a different idea. I wouldn't call what is done today, "science". It's more like conjecture with manipulated data to acquire a certain result.

My point is that keeping an open mind on unproven issues is, in fact, science.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom