Raya and the Last Dragon

Sir_Cliff

So many people have D+ now and they made the automatic release date so soon after release in theaters the many just don't feel the urgency. This wasn't Star Wars or Avengers or even a Toy Story, Incredibles, or Frozen sequel.
I really think it's this. A huge chunk of the potential audience have just been told that if they wait a little while they'll basically get it for free. Adding in the ability to pay to watch it at home if you're really dying to see it, this seems like kind of a hard sell in the theatres.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Wow! They're already given up hope for this at the box office and really cutting its legs early!
No. Disney and other major studios have shortened their 'windows' in light of the world wide pandemic. Theaters don't like it, but the alternative is that the major studios would do what Warner Bros did and release all their movies on streaming this year.

LovePop

Raya is doing worse than "Tom and Jerry" in China:

"Despite its emphasis on Asian representation and Southeast Asian themes, Disney’s “Raya and the Last Dragon” failed to soar in China"
"Although it was the only new title of note to premiere this weekend, “Raya” made less in its three-day China opening than Warner Bros.’ hybrid live-action animation “Tom and Jerry” did last weekend"

NateD1226

"Despite its emphasis on Asian representation and Southeast Asian themes, Disney’s “Raya and the Last Dragon” failed to soar in China"
"Although it was the only new title of note to premiere this weekend, “Raya” made less in its three-day China opening than Warner Bros.’ hybrid live-action animation “Tom and Jerry” did last weekend"

;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Hey! You just learned to post the same last-week's headlines that were already posted in this thread. Such cleverness!!

Right now, today, in reality, Ray is only $1M behind Tom & Jerry in China.

Kevin_W

Dragons from outside European cultures tend to have fur and scales just like Shisu, the world is big and cultures evolve over time with some parallels. This can be seen in the many variants of what people consider dragons.

gtcGe.jpg
c3270070de02428871e2207e7ef94893.jpg
830807-52753-qknjbxoczi-1488538227.jpg

It doesn't have to be rejection of non-Western cultures. I look at those 3 examples you have and think "cool looking dragons!", just like I do when I see Allan Lee's Smaug. But Sisu in this movie didn't do much of anything for me. (Even Mushu was cool, even if small.)

Overall, I thought the movie was "good", if we're using the Rotten Tomato good/not good scale. It would be near the bottom of my personal raking of recent Disney movies (in part because I really like musicals and this wasn't one), but I still enjoyed it and don't mind having paid $30 to see it.

Disney Analyst

The lack of... maturity and quite frankly the sheer lunacy on display in this thread is astounding.

People are having opinions about a movie they haven’t even watched?

Let me tell you, it’s a beautiful and wonderful film. A great pick me up after a crap year. And so many hard working artists poured their souls into it.

Stop trying to go on about money, we are in a pandemic. The movie business is basically extinct. We have nothing to go off. Stop going on about “I just don’t like it, even though I haven’t seen it”. That’s a crap opinion and not worthy of consideration.

Stop, stop, stop. You look folkish and immature.

Sir_Cliff

The lack of... maturity and quite frankly the sheer lunacy on display in this thread is astounding.

People are having opinions about a movie they haven’t even watched?

Let me tell you, it’s a beautiful and wonderful film. A great pick me up after a crap year. And so many hard working artists poured their souls into it.

Stop trying to go on about money, we are in a pandemic. The movie business is basically extinct. We have nothing to go off. Stop going on about “I just don’t like it, even though I haven’t seen it”. That’s a crap opinion and not worthy of consideration.

Stop, stop, stop. You look folkish and immature.
Yes, it is... weird.

Obviously some people will like it and others won't, just like any film. But this rooting for it to fail and premature dancing on its grave seems to be about something beyond whether it's to some people's personal taste or not.

Disney Analyst

Yes, it is... weird.

Obviously some people will like it and others won't, just like any film. But this rooting for it to fail and premature dancing on its grave seems to be about something beyond whether it's to some people's personal taste or not.

I've never seen anything like this. It's crazy. I hope it's a success on Premiere and in Theatres (as much as it can be in theatres right now). I don't want anymore artists to be let go.

erasure fan1

But this rooting for it to fail and premature dancing on its grave seems to be about something beyond whether it's to some people's personal taste or not.
Of course it is. Disney hasn't done itself any favors over the years either. They have done a fantastic job of making themselves an easy target for criticism. And the society that we have fostered is one that embraces, if something isn't for me, I must try and purge it from the earth.

Jedijax719

Of course it is. Disney hasn't done itself any favors over the years either. They have done a fantastic job of making themselves an easy target for criticism. And the society that we have fostered is one that embraces, if something isn't for me, I must try and purge it from the earth.
How so? (about them making targets of themselves?)

erasure fan1

How so? (about them making targets of themselves?)
Things like the live action remakes, a lot of people, not just fans, think it's lazy. Them letting the parks stagnate for years with very little added. All while implementing masive price increases and making record profit. The overall treatment of the theme parks. And I won't really go into detail but the way political stuff has been handled from star wars to splash mountain. There is a lot of people who will side with Disney on just about everything. But it really isn't a wonder why a large number of people want them knocked down a peg or two.

Jedijax719

Things like the live action remakes, a lot of people, not just fans, think it's lazy. Them letting the parks stagnate for years with very little added. All while implementing masive price increases and making record profit. The overall treatment of the theme parks. And I won't really go into detail but the way political stuff has been handled from star wars to splash mountain. There is a lot of people who will side with Disney on just about everything. But it really isn't a wonder why a large number of people want them knocked down a peg or two.
The only thing that is or seems valid is the price hike. That seems more like a panic button during the pandemic but yeah, it was going on before that.

As for the other "concerns" I don't see how they are even remotely valid complaints or even valid at all.

But none of this has to do with Raya.

erasure fan1

The only thing that is or seems valid is the price hike. That seems more like a panic button during the pandemic but yeah, it was going on before that.

As for the other "concerns" I don't see how they are even remotely valid complaints or even valid at all.

But none of this has to do with Raya.
For the most part, it doesn't. But someone asked why people seem to root for it to fail even though they haven’t seen the film. And you might not believe any of it is valid, but it is valid to a lot of people. These things have been discussed in many threads. Most of them have ended up in the political forums so I won't expand on it here. You might side with Disney on these things, and that is fine. But a lot don't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom