Raya and the Last Dragon

tcool123

For some reason, action doesn't really pull the masses to theater seats when it comes to Disney animated features.
Big Hero 6 and Incredibles being exceptions because Marvel and Pixar.
But look at disappointments like Treasure Planet and Atlantis that marketed as action flicks, compared to the popular, more fairytale-esque offerings.

Raya, I believe will be a slow burn; classic that builds popularity in due time.
It's too good not to.
That’s just the box office we have no way of knowing oh how Raya is doing on Disney+ and then once it’s officially on home media and free on Disney+

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Not awful, but not that great either considering that NY theaters opened this weekend. Tom & Jerry made $13 million last weekend without those theatres. It also doesn't help that Cinemark decided not to play this movie. This could also mean that more people bought Premier Access, but Disney probably won't release those numbers unless they are insanely good.

It'll show up on the Nielsen's top ten list for sure in a few weeks (which will then report this week's figures). Then we'll see how it did in homes.

Jedijax719

I may be in the minority in thinking that Disney really had no choice but to put this (and others) on D+ for $30 while releasing it in theaters. The bad move was not budging with Cinemark. That was a HUGE mistake in my opinion but who knows what the number crunchers said. They're the professionals and I'm just in my own family's bubble.

Nothing is orthodox right now. It's all trial and error to be honest. Disney and other studios can experiment to see what works the best (got straight to streaming, use the hybrid model, release only to theaters). But there are going to be MASSIVE losses either way. Raya probably would have stood a VERY good chance of making $200 million domestic and at least $500-$600 million worldwide and probably more. This, like any other release, was never made to deal with these times. These films were made to go to the theater and make money. So they have to do what they can to make money. Charging $30 is not a bad decision because it's a choice. It may not be good for individuals or couples but it's good for families. And for those who want to, they can wait until June. It doesn't cost Disney a penny to put it on Premier Access.

The real stinger is going to be with the 3 Disney MCU films that are coming out: Black Widow, Shang-Chi, and Eternals. Likewise, Spidey NWH is going to be a conundrum because who knows which streaming service will, if any, release it the same day as theaters.

Disneyfanman

This was a great movie! The most fun at a new flick that I had all year! And the short...........Incredible. I'm really sad that there were only about 10 people in the theater. I think Disney flubbed the marketing too. My sons wanted to see it but I had really heard very little abotu it other than the stories about it being on D+. This movie needs to succeed. I hope it builds an audience.

Archie123

It was a complete failure with box office results. There are many factors to this but one of those is that people are still not ready to go back to the theaters. This will slowly change with the increase in people getting vaccinated but we aren’t there just yet.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Tangled and Princess and the Frog and Wreck-it Ralph were not theatrically profitable, and yet, they were well received and have lived on in the after-market and the parks.

Even if all theater chains had carried Raya, it would never have performed like in the pre-COVID days.

The real measure of Raya is good reviews, a plus for "the Disney brand," and the diversity the film brings with Southeast Asian representation. This will translate well into the parks.

Not to mention how empowering it is for women in that Raya and her frenemy were both raised to be warriors without having it hand waved with special powers (live action Mulan) or last resort training (animated Mulan) or having to fight a patriarchy (Brave). Everyone just accepted they were accomplished leaders and warriors; and gender (and age) wasn't an issue.

Magenta Panther

Oh, so what really matters is "good reviews" and diversity and representation and blah blah blah.

Give me a break, Penguin. Yes, you're an avid apologist for Iger, we all know that, but this is ridiculous. In Hollywood, MONEY is what matters, and Raya is (apparently) an embarrassing failure. Tom and freakin' Jerry (who's a jerk in that abysmal cartoon, from what I heard - god, don't current toon writers understand motivation and characterization at all????) BEAT IT. This is terrible. So why did this happen?

Hmm, well, maybe it's because little girls...don't necessarily want to be kickass. Maybe they prefer pretty clothes and castles and magic and royalty and guys fighting for them (atta girl, make him work for it!). Maybe they look at a character like Raya and think: meh. And then look at Belle and think "Yeah I wanna be like her!" Blasphemous talk, I know. But just maybe.

And, um, maybe little boys like kickass girl characters even less. Just sayin'.

Add to that Awkwafina ( kinda name is that anyway) doing an absolutely unfunny grating voice performance, and you get a dud, apparently. (Note to Disney: stop trying to copy Robin William's Genie for every magical sidekick you create. Not even Eddie Murphy could match Robin's performance. Try something new, for god's sake.)

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Oh, so what really matters is "good reviews" and diversity and representation and blah blah blah.

Give me a break, Penguin. Yes, you're an avid apologist for Iger, we all know that, but this is ridiculous. In Hollywood, MONEY is what matters, and Raya is (apparently) an embarrassing failure. Tom and freakin' Jerry (who's a jerk in that abysmal cartoon, from what I heard - god, don't current toon writers understand motivation and characterization at all????) BEAT IT. This is terrible. So why did this happen?

Hmm, well, maybe it's because little girls...don't necessarily want to be kickass. Maybe they prefer pretty clothes and castles and magic and royalty and guys fighting for them (atta girl, make him work for it!). Maybe they look at a character like Raya and think: meh. And then look at Belle and think "Yeah I wanna be like her!" Blasphemous talk, I know. But just maybe.

Add to that Awkwafina (*** kinda name is that anyway) doing an absolutely unfunny grating voice performance, and you get a dud, apparently. (Note to Disney: stop trying to copy Robin William's Genie for every magical sidekick you create. Not even Eddie Murphy could match Robin's performance. Try something new, for god's sake.)
lol

Darkprime

Watched it last night. I liked it. Wasn't anything too amazing but it was good. Was a nice feel good movie. Not gonna lie though. I'm getting used to watching these new releases at home. its going to be hard to go back to the movies for exclusive theatrical releases. Personally I feel If they put Black Widow on Disney Plus that's it, its game over for theaters. They need to be prepared to have that be the norm moving forward for all MCU movies. You cant just do one and then not the others. People are going to expect to be able to watch Shang-Chi, Eternals, Thor 4, DS2 etc on Disney+. That's the expectation you set by making that move, and If they do it, I think its going to be hard for the audience to go back.

brb1006

Original Poster

Add to that Awkwafina (*** kinda name is that anyway) doing an absolutely unfunny grating voice performance, and you get a dud, apparently. (Note to Disney: stop trying to copy Robin William's Genie for every magical sidekick you create. Not even Eddie Murphy could match Robin's performance. Try something new, for god's sake.)
Hold up, "embarrassing failure"?

JU46uMK.jpg

This movie is barely a month old (heck not even a week old) and you're already calling this a failure? At least give it a few more months before jumping to conclusions. Also how is Penguin an "Iger apologist"?

What's next, calling "Encanto" (Disney's next animated film) a failure and something about "wokeness" and calling others an Iger apologist?

Last edited:

Ripken10

Hold up, "embarrassing failure"?

JU46uMK.jpg

This movie is barely a month old (heck not even a week old) and you're already calling this a failure? At least give it a few more months before jumping to conclusions. Also how is Penguin an "Iger apologist"?

What's next, calling "Encanto" (Disney's next animated film) a failure and something about "wokeness" and calling others an Iger apologist?
if it hasn't broken 1 billion dollars in its first 3 days it is a total failure. Don't you know this.

Jedijax719

With a confirmed "free" release date for Raya and more people getting PA than other films (due to so many D+subscribers), and no Cinemark (or Regal for that matter), the numbers are.........to be honest, I have NO idea what to make of numbers in the box office right now. The whole industry is in the dumps.

Darkprime

With a confirmed "free" release date for Raya and more people getting PA than other films (due to so many D+subscribers), and no Cinemark (or Regal for that matter), the numbers are.........to be honest, I have NO idea what to make of numbers in the box office right now. The whole industry is in the dumps.

Well get some idea at the share holder meeting tomorrow. If Black Widow is confirmed for PA you'll know Raya at least did as well as Mulan. If not better.

Magenta Panther

Oh ye of too much faith:

brb1006

Original Poster
Oh ye of too much faith:

To be fair, we're in a middle of a pandemic!

tcool123

Not Disney-related, but The Shawshank Redemption and It's A Wonderful Life were both theatrical bombs. Let that sink in for a bit.
As were Fantasia, Alice in Wonderland and Sleeping Beauty and those are Disney related
Oh ye of too much faith:

Do any of those have streaming numbers? If they do toot your horn, but until then we should wait before declaring it failed where streaming is the sign if success in the midst of a pandemic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom