Raya and the Last Dragon

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Update:

Another 164M minutes of Raya watched. That's another 1.464M views of the movie.

Assuming people watch it straight through, it has been viewed, in total, 14.7M times on D+ Premium.

At $30 a pop, that's $440M income unshared with theaters.

Now, as has been discussed above, Disney films do tend to be rewatched... a lot. Moana and Frozen 2, e.g., keep showing up on the top ten movies streamed every week for the past four months. OTOH, Raya is not a musical, which is often the hallmark of a most-watched movie.

So, depending on one's guesstimate of rewatches, if you take off a percentage, then Raya's income on premium streaming in its first 5 weeks is...

- 0% = $440M
-10% = $396M
-20% = $352M
-30% = $308M
-40% = $264M
-50% = $220M

In theaters: $107M worldwide (as a rule of thumb, Disney would get half of that: $53.5M).
Update:

Another 110M minutes of Raya watched. That's another .98M views of the movie.

Assuming people watch it straight through, it has been viewed, in total, 15.7M times on D+ Premium.

At $30 a pop, that's $470M income unshared with theaters.

Now, as has been discussed above, Disney films do tend to be rewatched... a lot. Moana and Frozen 2, e.g., keep showing up on the top ten movies streamed every week for the past four months. OTOH, Raya is not a musical, which is often the hallmark of a most-watched movie.

So, depending on one's guesstimate of rewatches, if you take off a percentage, then Raya's income on premium streaming in its first 5 weeks is...

- 0% = $470M
-10% = $423M
-20% = $376M
-30% = $329M
-40% = $282M
-50% = $235M

In theaters: $107M worldwide (as a rule of thumb, Disney would get half of that: $53.5M).

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Update:

Another 110M minutes of Raya watched. That's another .98M views of the movie.

Assuming people watch it straight through, it has been viewed, in total, 15.7M times on D+ Premium.

At $30 a pop, that's $470M income unshared with theaters.

- 0% = $470M
-10% = $423M
-20% = $376M
-30% = $329M
-40% = $282M
-50% = $235M

Raya didn't crack the top ten streaming movies for the week ending 5/2/21.

However, it's theatrical Box Office climbed to $128M.

doctornick

Finally got to watch Raya. Definitely enjoyed it. Not peak Disney but a good solid film. Kind of reminded me of Treasure Planet and Atlantis vibes, but better executed than those.

doctornick

I'd love to see a Thailand (or Vietnamese, etc.) pavilion in Epcot with a Raya ride though. Would bring some different food and culture distinct from the existing East Asian ones.

DVCscott

Movie was good. Started off a little too jumbled and like it was throwing too much at us at once, but it all came together I thought. Raya seemed like we've seen her before -Moana rehashed - yet still work as a interesting lead. The dragon had a good character story but I though was cast terribly. That voice EHHHHH! 🤮 just something not right about the character the way she spoke. Not dissing because she was a "old" lady. She wasn't, or didn't seem to be, just scratchy odd voice like a hardcore druggie, I dunno. But can see why the character isn't flying off store shelves in bundles. REDO THE DRAGON WITH A DIFFERENT VOICE PLEASE!!
Other than that I liked the movie alot. Good action and story, message on peace.

Disney Analyst

Movie was good. Started off a little too jumbled and like it was throwing too much at us at once, but it all came together I thought. Raya seemed like we've seen her before -Moana rehashed - yet still work as a interesting lead. The dragon had a good character story but I though was cast terribly. That voice EHHHHH! 🤮 just something not right about the character the way she spoke. Not dissing because she was a "old" lady. She wasn't, or didn't seem to be, just scratchy odd voice like a hardcore druggie, I dunno. But can see why the character isn't flying off store shelves in bundles. REDO THE DRAGON WITH A DIFFERENT VOICE PLEASE!!
Other than that I liked the movie alot. Good action and story, message on peace.

The Awkwafina disrespect :eek:

aliceismad

I'd love to see a Thailand (or Vietnamese, etc.) pavilion in Epcot with a Raya ride though. Would bring some different food and culture distinct from the existing East Asian ones.
That's an interesting idea. I wonder how that would be received. Raya isn't specifically in Thailand or Vietnam or any of the Southeast Asian countries. Disney gets a bunch of flack of putting Frozen (loosely based on a story from Denmark) in Norway.

Time did an interesting story about the Southeast Asian influence in Raya a while back. https://time.com/5944583/raya-and-the-last-dragon-southeast-asia/

DVCscott

The Awkwafina disrespect :eek:
I had to google. No disrespect to her. Just didn't seem fitting for a childlike fluffy dragon.
She's not the first time an actor seemed an odd pick for a animated role, not due to any lack of talent, just a odd match.
Gov Ratcliffe for example. I have nothing against David Ogden Stiers. He was a perfect match for Cogsworth. Just thought he was mis-cast for Ratcliffe.

erasure fan1

I finally watched it. I would give it a solid meh. Not bad, not great, just kind of forgettable. I'm still not a fan of the dragons design. I'd also say the film suffers from being overly predictable. I didn't think for a second that Namaari wasn't trying to get the gem. Or the whole end sequence. Predictability isn't always a deal breaker, but this just seemed overly obvious. Again, not a bad movie. Just not one that I will care about re-watching.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
So, the streaming data we have for Raya comes from Nielsen, which unfortunately only lists the top ten movies streamed from week to week (and does so a month behind, to boot).

Anyways, Raya had dropped out of the top ten after 8 weeks. Then four weeks later, she reappeared: 115M minutes for week ending 5/23 and 162M minutes for 5/30.

Those two weeks represent another 2.5M views. Adding that to the previous count, then at $30 a pop, that's $545M income unshared with theaters.

Now, as has been discussed above, Disney films do tend to be rewatched... a lot. Moana and Frozen 2, e.g., keep showing up on the top ten movies streamed every week for the past six months. OTOH, Raya is not a musical, which is often the hallmark of a most-watched movie.

- 0% = $545M
-10% = $490M
-20% = $436M
-30% = $381M
-40% = $327M
-50% = $272M

Keep in mind that this does not include the three weeks totals in which Raya didn't hit the top ten.

Add to that the BO which is $120M (as a rule of thumb, Disney get $60M of that).

At a budget of about $150, Raya was definitely profitable.

Now that Raya has become "free" on D+, it's first weekend free saw it streamed to the tune of 1.078B minutes. That's 'billion.' That's about half as much in one week as the previous premium 13 weeks.

That's 9.6M views in its first free week.

aliceismad

Now, as has been discussed above, Disney films do tend to be rewatched... a lot. Moana and Frozen 2, e.g., keep showing up on the top ten movies streamed every week for the past six months. OTOH, Raya is not a musical, which is often the hallmark of a most-watched movie.
I had wondered about that. It seems the most beloved Disney movies are often remembered for their music.

Moana is definitely the top streaming (and singing) choice for my kiddo, although Raya has now made the rotation. We also have a stuffed Tuk Tuk in the house now, so we've fallen prey to the Disney merch machine.

Ghost93

It's really a shame that COVID and the Premiere Access kinda killed the box office potential for Raya. I saw it on a big screen and thought it was visually spectacular and one of the better Disney (non-Pixar) movies of the past two decades. Personally, I liked it more than Tangled, Wreck-it Ralph, Big Hero 6, Frozen II and Ralph Breaks the Internet.

While I think a theatrical sequel is unlikely, I think the world established in Raya and the Last Dragon would be very fitting for a Disney Plus original series. And maybe the movie could get some sort of attraction in the Asia section of Animal Kingdom? While the movie wasn't really a box office success, there may be an audience for a Raya and the Last dragon ride if the movie becomes more popular on streaming. And with Disney wanting to be more "inclusive" in its parks I think it would serve their mission statement to add more Southeast Asian representation to their parks.

OR, if Disney doesn't want to add a Raya attraction to Asia, maybe they could create a revive the Beastly Kingdom concept and incorporate Sisu there. While the original Beastly Kingdom was a mixture of original [non IP] attractions and rides inspired by Fantasia, Disney could include Sisu in some way there.

aliceismad

While I think a theatrical sequel is unlikely, I think the world established in Raya and the Last Dragon would be very fitting for a Disney Plus original series.
There is certainly a wealth of wonderful characters that could be explored. The movie, for all its good, was a bit light on depth of character.

TrainsOfDisney

I just watched it last night. My biggest complaint was there’s no consequence because in the end everyone is happy.

It’s like if the end of the lion king everyone comes back to life and mufassa tells scar “I mean sure you murdered me in front of my son but it’s all good, let’s hug it out.”

Also.. Raya and Rey sure seem like the exact same character at times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom