Ratatouille in Epcot

StageFrenzy

Ok.
I wasn't gonna put this out there, but what the hell...

Two pieces of concept art. One for the Rat ride, the other for an as yet un-built country.
Which one does Epcot need more?
Which one better fits with the mission and purpose of Epcot?

How you answer that will determine whether or not you "get" Epcot.

I also have a feeling opinions may be skewed a bit by age....

(Enjoy the photo. Good chance I'll get told to pull it.)

I'll take the cartoon figures and eye candy please.

PhotoDave219

Ok.

Two pieces of concept art. One for the Rat ride, the other for an as yet un-built country.

View attachment 53414

View attachment 53415

I'll take Brazil over the ride.

MerlinTheGoat

I'm a huge fan of the movie, but I agree with Lee entirely that i'd far rather have something more fitting (some more rides are welcome, but they can also be made in a logical and fitting manner without bringing cartoon characters into the mix). Again I love the film but personally have always seen Ratatouille more of a celebration of food in general rather than specifically and only French culture. One of the main themes of the movie in regards to food was that anyone can cook (the movie is about anyone of any background or cultural upbringing having the potential took cook, and goes further by stating that anyone can achieve greatness if they're bold and fearless enough). While France is indeed known for its food and there's some well-deserved pride regarding that, along with the movie containing elements of French culture being glorified in regards to its food, food is FAR from the only thing thing that the country has to offer from a cultural perspective. Or even remotely the most important. Just glorifying the food of any culture and ignoring the rest of its defining elements is in my opinion doing that culture a massive disservice, brushing over other more important things that make it great (no matter how delicious the food is). Slapping cartoons on everything is only harming it.

There's so much more to France than silly cartoon talking rats, kitchens and yes even food...

PhotoDave219

Except it's an opinion of what is good or bad. It's not fact that is a bad idea. It's an opinion help by some on this board.
You hate the idea
I like it
Both opinions

True look what happened to the new Imagination ride...terrible idea on an epic scale.
However...the idea of Rat ride going to France (as long as the ride is good...reviews aren't even out yet.) is not a desperate idea. Its an idea that makes sense.
It just doesn't make sense to some on this board.
Some...as I've been saying...have a different opinion.
Lee..your not into the ride. I respect your opinion.
Me...I think it's a pretty cool concept for the land. Again, just an opinion.

and...we are all just giving an opinion on a ride that isn't ever going to happen. I'm pretty sure we can bank on that.

Yes but Lee - long time insider. People read these forums specifically for his insights & info.

You? Never heard of you.

So express your opinion all you want, it will just get lost in the noise.

The Empress Lilly

I don't think a big Jesus statue will make it to EPCOT. :D Nor a country-specific parade.

Thanks for the concept art!

Rat is great. I loved that movie. Such a lovely ode to French culture too. I think the ride will be awesome in WDSP. Last time I was there, the mini-land looked fantastic.

But despite all of that I love the WS more than Rat or any new toon E-ticket. Keep 'em out.

StageFrenzy

this

i can travel to brazil anytime lol

Oh you thought I was voting for the rat, I mean these cartoonish figures and eye candy:

pb-130212-brazil-carnival-nj-02.photoblog900.jpg

PhotoDave219

I've heard this word several tiles here and it always makes me cringe: "Synergy". I can imagine it being tossed around film studio boardrooms by clueless pitchmen in suits (and beards) as if it is the definitive justification for every lame idea thought-up in Hollywood, (and Burbank). Synergy gave us the Imagination Institute, Nemo in the Seas, Donald in Mexico, and all the other ill-fit intrusions that have been discussed over and over on these boards. It's unfortunate that people are willing to be so forgiving on theme just to get anything new and fresh.

I'm a proponent for more attractions in WS, and I know that travelogues are no longer the answer, but I would rather see something more creative and more interesting to adults than yet another truncated cartoon movie IP. I have no doubt that the rat ride is going to be a fun little adventure but it's honestly not a good fit for WS despite the "synergy" it may create -- (the premise of the ride only extends Disney's creative streak of something "BIG" being novel). I am really wondering if Disney is ever again going to move outside their comfort zone on an attraction so we may once again be pleasantly surprised by something that challenges both our imagination and intellect.

the-secret-life-of-walter-mitty-Adam-Scott.jpg

Side tangent, the photo from "Secret life of walter mitty" sums up the ruthlessness of corporate management anymore.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Ok.

View attachment 53414

View attachment 53415
You win. I'm officially over the rat. What are the odds we ever get something like this?

The Empress Lilly

I don't think a big Jesus statue will make it to EPCOT. :D Nor a country-specific parade.

Thanks for the concept art! WS does not need a new country more than that it need more toons, WS needs a new country and no toons. And perhaps it even needs no toons more than a new country. ;)

Rat is great. I loved that movie. Such a lovely ode to French culture too. I think the ride will be awesome in WDSP. Last time I was there, the mini-land looked fantastic.

But despite all of that I love the WS more than Rat or any new toon E-ticket. Keep 'em out.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

The setting of Ratatouille is France. The other examples you gave are set in their representative countries and based on that criteria they all fit. But World Showcase's theme is about cultural exchange and therefore requires more than an appropriate locale. Ratatouille is an American, not a French, story and just because it is popular in France still doesn't make it French. The France Pavilion is supposed to showcase French culture, not American culture set in France. The Norway Pavilion is supposed to showcase Norwegian culture, not American culture set in Norway. The Germany Pavilion is supposed to showcase German culture, not American culture set in Germany. Unless you can show how Ratatouille is French culture then yes, the film is thematically inappropriate. Doesn't mean you cannot like the idea, but you cannot claim that appropriateness is opinion because it is not a French film or even based on a French story.
Awesome post.

Although one could argue that all WS pavilions are ultimately American narratives about the countries they represent. WS France is a popular American 'story' about France, not a French story. WS showcases American popular culture, not French-German-Mexican.

Last edited:

Lee

Adventurer
The "parade" is something that would only happen in the Brazil area.
The statue....maybe, maybe not.
You win. I'm officially over the rat. What are the odds we ever get something like this?
These days? When people think cloned toon rides are a good idea for Epcot? Probably slim.

EPCOTCenterLover

Ok.

View attachment 53414

View attachment 53415
Brazil PLEASE. I'd rather explore a new country done in the old EPCOT Center style than a toon based attraction.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The "parade" is something that would only happen in the Brazil area.
The statue....maybe, maybe not.

These days? When people think cloned toon rides are a good idea for Epcot? Probably slim.
I'd definitely take a new country over toon rides.

CDavid

Ok.

View attachment 53414

View attachment 53415

Brazil. No question about it.

And the statue is an absolute must.

doctornick

Ok.

View attachment 53414

View attachment 53415

Does this Brazil pavilion have a ride included? If not, I'll take the Rat.

WS needs rides. Especially the west side. Do I think Rataouille is the ideal option? Absolutely not -- I'd rather have a Mt Fuji ride in Japan or a Three Musketeers ride in France or a Driuid/Stonehenge ride in UK, etc.. IOW, I would totally agree with the consensus that there should be rides in WS that are based on cultural heritage and not IP synergy -- more Maelstrom (which I love!) and River del Tiempo and less Grand Fiesta Tour.

But what WS really needs, much more than new places to eat and shop, is rides and other attractions. And not just simple movies or street entertainment (though those are good things to also have, in addition to the rides and higher quality shows (like the American Adventure)). So, yes, as much as I don't love how Remy and company fit into the WS, I'd gladly take it to enhance the Epcot experience over more countries. I find it somewhat odd that people seems willing to give TDO a pass in regards to WS because they view it as having a nice theme or consistency, while railing against them for how they treat FW. The stagnation and lack of attractions in WS is reprehensible; at least they've tried to update FW over the years (we can slam the results, but at least there was effort).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom