"Rapid Fill" Mugs Coming to Walt Disney World Hotels

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I assume Disney did not think of this or thought people would not think of this? Or there will be a fix in the future for this?

Their solution is the RapidFill system, the fountain looks like it will only active the dispenser you activate with your mug which has the RFID tag embedded in the bottom of the mug. This new system appears to be squarely aimed at those that steal soft drinks and to make it even more difficult if you do.

Unfortunately, because there is enough "loss" through theft we all pay in lost convenience.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I think the best way to handle this is to put in a machine like a Coke Freestyle machine that only has one spigot.

That way once activated by the user nobody else can freeload off their barcode.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I think the best way to handle this is to put in a machine like a Coke Freestyle machine that only has one spigot.

That way once activated by the user nobody else can freeload off their barcode.

I wish, the freestyle machines are fantastic, my kids beg me to take them to Firehouse simply because of the Freestyle availability.

willtravel

Their solution is the RapidFill system, the fountain looks like it will only active the dispenser you activate with your mug which has the RFID tag embedded in the bottom of the mug. This new system appears to be squarely aimed at those that steal soft drinks and to make it even more difficult if you do.

Unfortunately, because there is enough "loss" through theft we all pay in lost convenience.
Oh, ok. I thought this was happening with the new system.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Seems like both systems can still be thwarted by "scammers". Any NFC phone with the right set of apps can bump your mug and clone it I would think. I would also surmise an HD photo from a phone of someone's valid bar code would suffice as well for those installations. Perhaps the NGE installation will pair with these systems bio-metrically to prevent this.

*1023*

Dwarful

The water parks use a larger mug that has a barcode sticker good for the day only. You scan yours, the fountain is activated and any of the options can be selected/dispensed at a given time, allowing the scammers to piggy back off your bar code.
yes exactly and the new water park mugs are the same at both parks no more individual mugs and they are much smaller than the ones we have from a few years ago.

MOXOMUMD

We're at ASMusic. The Rapid Fill officially started today. Managers have been hanging around dispensers all day. Water and ice can still be used in old mugs.

MOXOMUMD

How about coffee and ice tea?
I honestly didn't pay attention to that. It was the managers that caught my eye. I refuse to buy a new mug until they change the design. There did seem to be less people hovering around the fountains but it didn't stop people from filling their RFID mug and taking it to their table then dumping it into their old mug then going back for a refill. I like to get good cold water from there to make Crystal Light for our pooltime.

Black Pearl

I imagine people hovering like children out of Oliver Twist at the soda machines waiting to steal your scan time so they can get their high fructose corn syrup or aspartame fix.

RogueHabit

Passholders receive a discount on the room, they don't need a discount on the mug. You want the mug buy the mug every visit. It was designed as a length of stay feature, not a lifetime event.
THIS!!!!

Amazes me when people who clearly admit that they were abusing the offer start to complain!

G00fyDad

A lot of effort for something that cost Disney a few cents. Soft drinks are pretty much all profit. I would love to see the numbers after a year of this and see if it was worth all the effort???

You just answered your question right there. Disney is tired of losing that profit. ;)

JTT

I don't mind the new Rapid Fill mugs program. I don't mind the price.

What really stinks is that they didn’t change the design!

I have too many of the Mickey at the pool mugs.

Charge the appropriate amount but change the design!

I really miss the resort specific mugs.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I'm surprised they didn't change the design too. They had to make new mugs anyway. We will just throw away our old mugs since we will be getting new one with the FDing this trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom