"Rapid Fill" Mugs Coming to Walt Disney World Hotels

LaughingGravy

I'm not reading 35 pages for this, but the pictures I've seen do indicate they are only "Disney Parks" in design and none are resort specific.
Length of Stay (at $18) is the only one that makes any sense and if you stay for 6 days or more.
Really though, I would still get one for the family and share it. We don't have cooties, and nobody needs to drink that much that fast with a meal.
Now, let us use it in the parks as well, and I would have no problem buying one for each person in the family.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It just seems stupid that Disney is going to all this expense to fix something but yet not really fixing it and to be honest there really is no way to fix it unless they completely get totally away from guests getting their own drinks.

Coming from the person who looks to explicitly try to cheat the system...

ToTBellHop

Just out of curiosity, what was the part of this change that chased you away?
Apparently 10% increases in park ticket prices and resort rates year after year is fine, but a $3 increase for a refillable mug is too much. To be fair, that $75 Disney saved you should pay for maybe one hoodie in Hogsmeade. Disney's food and merch prices are positively cheap compared to Uni's.

Dwarful

we just stayed onsite for 14 days. our family of five did not buy the mugs or dining plan this trip. There was no way, shape or form we could have come out saving money on the mugs...would have been $75. But we just don't drink enough beverages at the resort food courts or poolside. We usually drive so its easy for us to spend $30 and stock up on drinks.
We have purchased mugs in the past...mostly when they were resort specific or thrown in w/a dining plan we got free.

toolsnspools

Just out of curiosity, what was the part of this change that chased you away?
Call it a tipping point... $15 for a resort mug was never a good deal. When they were resort specific I could justify the expense by calling it a souvenir. They took that away when they went generic with the mugs. Then last trip we were there for 2 weeks. We stayed at 3 different resorts during our 2 week trip (8 nights, 1 night, and 5 nights), so under the new rules, we would have had to buy the same mug 3 times, for $17.99, $8.99, and $17.99 or a total of $44.97 for each mug. Multiply that by 5 people in our family, and it would be $224.85 for coffee and soda refills. Sound Magical?

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Wat happens if I am staying at 2 or 3 resorts across the duration of my stay. Will the cup transfer?

The above is the best information available on the length of stay answer. As far as a tipping point goes, that is a personal value choice (as is a WDW vacation to begin with). Personally, I avoid the mugs. I go to Target or Walmart (depending on which resort hotel I am at) and purchase my chosen beverages. (If you think that $18 bucks per mugs is painful, +$7 or more per beer is painful. Don't get me started on bottled water, but I digress.) After that, I choose what beverages to purchase (yes, I know NGE is going to identify me as an undesirable consumer).

Incidentally, $224.85 is 3 "Table Service" meals for 2 with Tables in Wonderland including tip. I think this is a better way to spend that money somewhere in WS. Conversely, you could get 5 people healthy options at "The Seasons" twice over with those funds.

*1023*

luv

The mugs were ridiculously high and now they're higher. Some people would buy one, anyway, knowing they could bring it back. They'll stop buying mugs each time the mugs change. But raising the cost of the mug for all the other people who are willing to pay for it will more than make up for it.

Raising the cost of the mug also makes those dining plan add-ons seem like a better deal.

I got one mug, one time. They had them in the room, wrapped in cellophane, and my son thought they were there to use. Upon entering the room, the bathroom was my first stop, lol, so I wasn't there to say, "Whoa! Don't open that!" I called the desk and said I didn't want it and didn't want to pay for it and they let me off the hook. They said we could keep the mug.

I never used it to get free pop, never brought it back and never wanted another.

If Disney charged $5000 for a mug, it would be okay with me. Water is free and healthier. :)

Apparently 10% increases in park ticket prices and resort rates year after year is fine, but a $3 increase for a refillable mug is too much. To be fair, that $75 Disney saved you should pay for maybe one hoodie in Hogsmeade. Disney's food and merch prices are positively cheap compared to Uni's.
Oh, my gosh. I beg to differ. $200 for a family of four is fairly common around Disney. The CityWalk restaurants I go to aren't near that much.

I don't buy much merchandise and don't know about that, but the Uni restaurants are cheaper (and better.)

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney's food and merch prices are positively cheap compared to Uni's.

Nah - UNI's quick service pricing is right there with Disney in the 'stupid absurd' level. The table service is less extreme.. but $2.29 for a SINGLE DONUT? $2.75 for a bottle of water... $8.50 for a chicken sandwich.. They aren't innocent in this area either.

RunnerFool

Doesn't Disney get free soda from Coca-Cola? Belay my last, yes they do.
Plus, it only costs a company like 2 cents to make a drink that costs someone else $2.00

G00fyDad

Call it a tipping point... $15 for a resort mug was never a good deal. When they were resort specific I could justify the expense by calling it a souvenir. They took that away when they went generic with the mugs. Then last trip we were there for 2 weeks. We stayed at 3 different resorts during our 2 week trip (8 nights, 1 night, and 5 nights), so under the new rules, we would have had to buy the same mug 3 times, for $17.99, $8.99, and $17.99 or a total of $44.97 for each mug. Multiply that by 5 people in our family, and it would be $224.85 for coffee and soda refills. Sound Magical?

No. Its transferable.

dadddio

I getcha. It should be noted that I wasn't arguing with you or saying that your decision was wrong. I was merely wondering what it was about the change the forced your decision.

I also agree with you. The increases in price for the mug have certainly made it more difficult to buy one. This is especially true as we tend not to use the things very often. I guess if our kids were soda drinkers and we hung out at the resort pools more often, it would be a better deal.

It should be noted that someone earlier in the thread stated that if you change resorts, then you would only have to pay once, bringing your overall cost back to $17.99 each.

dadddio

The mugs were ridiculously high and now they're higher. Some people would buy one, anyway, knowing they could bring it back. They'll stop buying mugs each time the mugs change. But raising the cost of the mug for all the other people who are willing to pay for it will more than make up for it.
It should be noted that they are lowering the price of the mug for those with shorter stays.

I also imagine that whether the mug is a good or not kind of depends on what kind of tourer you are. If you skip breakfast to hit road drop and stay away from the hotel all day, the mug probably isn't such a good but. However, if you eat at least one meal at the resort and come back every afternoon so the kids can nap or hit the pool or whatever, the mug can start to be a mighty fine purchase.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom